Favorite Books of 2015 – Adult Edition

January 1, 2016
tags:

2015 favorites banner

At the end of the year, it’s always fun to reflect on your reading.  I read less books last year and didn’t love quite as many of them.  I’m not sure if that means I’m not choosing my books as well or if it’s a reflection of how busy I was.  Either way, of the books I read this year, there are quite a few that stand out to me.  (Please note, these books weren’t necessarily published in 2015.)  I’m featuring the adult books today and will feature the children’s tomorrow.

2015 favorites 1

• AQUARIUM by David Vann is the story of damaged characters trying to navigate the world.  These wounded individuals come to life in Vann’s capable hands.
  • DISPLACEMENT by Lucy Knisley is a graphic memoir about a cruise the author and her grandparents went on.  The story is both tender and heartbreaking.
  • KITCHENS OF THE GREAT MIDWEST by J. Ryan Stradal is the story of a young woman who overcomes a tragic childhood.  Told through interconnecting stories, I found it captivating.

2015 favorites 2

• RADIOACTIVE by Lauren Redniss is a “biography in collage” about Marie Curie.  It’s a fascinating story told in a unique way.
  • THE ROSIE PROJECT by Graeme Simsion was just charming.  It’s the story of a socially awkward man who tries to find a wife in a very organized, methodical manner.
  • YOU by Caroline Kepnes is creepy and disturbing and I could not put it down.  I’m really looking forward to the author’s next book.
  1. January 1, 2016 5:03 am

You’ve had an interesting reading year. I haven’t read Displacement, but quite liked her French Milk, and I bought but haven’t read her second book. Displacement sounds intriguing, I really want to go on a cruise in the next few years. I loved The Rosie Project too, but read it a couple of years ago now.

2. January 1, 2016 5:52 am

I have read one of those, yay 🙂

3. January 1, 2016 6:02 am

I just put You on my Kindle wish list!!! Happy New Year, Kathy!

4. January 1, 2016 6:37 am

I thought Displacement was wonderful.

5. January 1, 2016 6:41 am

I haven’t read any of these, but they all sound good. I’ve had the Rosie Project on my list, but just didn’t get to it. Thanks for sharing your list.

6. January 1, 2016 7:02 am

Nice reading year!!

I don’t know any of these books. Going to take a look at some of them.

Happy New Year, Kathy.

Elizabeth

7. January 1, 2016 7:59 am

I remember your enjoyment of Aquarium. I haven’t read any of your ‘bests’, but hope to read a couple this year. I know I own at least 1 of them. Happy New Year!

8. January 1, 2016 8:22 am

Great list here! I must read Kitchens of the Great Midwest and I’ve had my eye on You for awhile. Happy New Year to you!

January 1, 2016 8:39 am

The only two we have in common are Kitchens and You…I loved Kitchens and did not love You…weird, huh?

10. January 1, 2016 9:11 am

Good list! I couldn’t get inspired to make one this year (too busy in recovery mode!) :–)

11. January 1, 2016 9:30 am

I read The Rosie Project…it was my First Book of 2014. I started reading You…and DNF. But I think I will try it again, as so many people enjoyed it…and there is a sequel!

12. January 1, 2016 10:14 am

I couldn’t stop reading Aquarium, yet I’m not sure if I loved it… a very strange reaction for me. Everything Lucy Knisley writes is wonderful, but I haven’t read this one yet. Also want to read Kitchens of the Great Midwest. Happy New Year, Kathy!

13. Jackie permalink
    January 1, 2016 10:24 am

I have You on my TBR list and just added The Rosie Project.

14. January 1, 2016 11:10 am

I’ve read 2 of those – Kitchens of the Great Midwest and The Rosie Project. I liked them both a lot and gave each one a 3.25/4.

15. January 1, 2016 11:14 am

I haven’t read any of those but several of them are on my TBR list. Happy New Year!

16. January 1, 2016 11:57 am

I have added You to my TBR list for this year, sounds very me. Happy New Year

17. January 1, 2016 12:09 pm

I’ve been wanting to read The Rosie Project for a while now. I haven’t read any of the books on this list but now I want to!

18. January 1, 2016 12:23 pm

Thanks for sharing your favorites! You and The Rosie Project are faves of mine too. I need to catch up on Kitchens and Aquarium. Hope 2016 is an awesome reading year for you!

19. January 1, 2016 12:37 pm

Good list! Happy New Year to you Kathy 🙂

20. January 1, 2016 12:57 pm

I have The Rosie Project and You but haven’t gotten to them yet. I’d like to read Displacement and Kitchens Of The Great Midwest soon.

21. January 1, 2016 1:04 pm

Happy New Year, Kathy! Did you listen to You in audio, too? It was a creepy, fun audio experience.

22. January 1, 2016 1:09 pm

Happy New Year, Kathy!

23. Diane permalink
    January 1, 2016 1:38 pm

Oh yes, I loved Aquarium (like darker reads) and this one fit the bill.
    I hope the New year is especially good to you and yours.

24. January 1, 2016 7:05 pm

Happy New Year Kathy. I liked Rosie and You as well.

January 1, 2016 7:51 pm

I can’t believe I’ve only read three of these. I definitely need to check out the other ones!

26. January 1, 2016 8:13 pm

I really liked The Rosie Project, and I hope to read Displacement soon. Good year of reading!

27. Literary Feline permalink
    January 1, 2016 8:19 pm

I do love these lists. 🙂 Displacement is on my list to read thanks to you. And You is another one I would like to read.

Have a Happy New Year!

28. January 1, 2016 8:40 pm

Kathy, I haven’t read any of these yet. I’ve had my eye on the Rosie Project for a while now. Thanks for sharing your favorites of 2015. Happy New Year, Kathy! Thanks for your blog visits and comments in 2015. They are much appreciated!

29. January 1, 2016 10:43 pm

oooooh I have not read any of these! Kitchens of the Great Midwest has been on my radar but I haven’t picked it up yet. Must fix that soon! I think I had planned to read You but then never did. This is a great list and has me adding and adding to my TBR stack! Happiest of New Year’s to you and your family sweet Kathy!

30. January 2, 2016 12:14 am

I feel the same way as you – I read less and didn’t love what I read. I hope that changes for both of us in 2016!

31. January 2, 2016 12:20 am

I had the same problem when choosing my favorites for 2015. I just wasn’t excited about very many of the books I read. I was starting to question my reading choices!

Aquarium made my list for this year, and Rosie Project and You were favorites from past years.

32. Beth F permalink
    January 2, 2016 6:14 am

Great list! All these books are on my list, but I’ve read only one of them. I really liked Displacement too.

33. January 3, 2016 7:38 pm

I kept a running list of favorites going until about July when my system of organization broke down and I had to look back at my reading and pick out my favorites from the last six months of 2015! This year, I hope to keep the running list going all the way through. I’ve only read The Rosie Project from your list, but I have several on my TBR radar. I listened to The Rosie Effect on audio this year and it will be on my favorites list of audiobooks if I can get one compiled before 2016 is over!

34. billbrarian permalink
    January 3, 2016 8:32 pm

Some definite read to add to the reading list. I eyed The Rosie Project from awhile back but never got around to reading it. I might try it on audio this year as well.

35. January 3, 2016 9:53 pm

I seem to be following in your wake. I’m currently reading The Rosie Project and loving it too. Kitchens in up next on my iPod. Thanks for all your reading recommendations.

36. January 4, 2016 12:19 pm

I loved Displacement! And I have You out from the library. I hope i get to Kitchens as well

37. The Cue Card permalink
    January 4, 2016 8:19 pm

The Rosie Project is charming for sure. The Kitchen book looks fun too

38. January 5, 2016 12:24 am

More to add to the list. I was able to request a Caroline Kepnes but not your book! Hopefully it will come.

39. January 5, 2016 11:14 am

I am so excited to see Lucy Knisley on your list! I simply adored Displacement. I think it’s my favorite of hers. And Kitchens of the Great Midwest was so fantastic. Glad you had a great year!

40. January 5, 2016 11:18 am

I haven’t read any of these, but I’m curious about You since you say it was creepy. Happy new year!

41. January 7, 2016 5:54 pm

I loved Displacement too and did consider it for my fave list. Now, You, on the other hand…I’ll leave Joe to you 🙂

42. January 11, 2016 9:57 pm

I loved The Rosie Project, but was disappointed with the sequel. I’ve got Kitchens of the Great Midwest on my TBR list and have wanted to try one of Lucy Knisley’s graphic novels. Maybe I’ll start with the one you enjoyed. Here’s to a great year of wonderful books!