December 16, 2015

I found two new words in Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon.

1. parkour– “I looked it up and it’s about parkour, which is a kind of street gymnastics, which explains how he’s able to do all the crazy stuff he does.”

Even though the word is kind of defined in the sentence, I decided to look it up.  According to Wikipedia,

Parkour is a training discipline using movement that developed from military obstacle course training. Practitioners aim to get from one point to another in a complex environment, without assistive equipment and in the fastest and most efficient way possible. Parkour includes running, climbing, swinging, vaulting, jumping, rolling, quadrupedal movement, and other movements as deemed most suitable for the situation. Parkour’s development from military training gives it some aspects of a non-combative martial art.

There are a lot of parkour videos out there and some of what they do is absolutely amazing:

_____________________________________________________

asymptote

2. asymptote – “A wish that continually approaches but never achieves fulfillment.”

An asymptote is a line that a curve approaches, as it heads towards infinity.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. December 16, 2015 7:32 am

I love watching parkour! There is a movie about it, but I forget the name…

2. December 16, 2015 7:52 am

You always find the most interesting words.

Thanks for sharing.

3. December 16, 2015 8:01 am

Wow, parkour is definitely a young person’s game, lol.

4. joyweesemoll permalink
    December 16, 2015 9:08 am

I looked up Parcour this week, too. Only it was spelled with a ‘c.’ I remember when it was popular to put Parcourses in parks for outdoor exercise, but I wasn’t aware of this practice of using found things in the environment.

5. December 16, 2015 9:26 am

Neither. But parkour sounds similar to parcourse, which is the same thing for us regular people to do. These are in parks and consist of obstacles too.

6. December 16, 2015 10:48 am

I know parkour because I’ve watched online videos and tv specials about it on tv a few times. The other word was new to me.

7. December 16, 2015 11:16 am

You stumped me! Great words, Kathy.

8. December 16, 2015 12:22 pm

I’d never heard of parkour until the first Daniel Craig version of James Bond came out. There was this scene at the beginning that was just wild but controlled running/climbing/walking. After the movie my son said, “Did you notice that great parkour at the beginning?” Then he explained it and I’ve noticed parkour a lot since then.

9. December 16, 2015 4:15 pm

The first one I know 🙂

December 16, 2015 5:08 pm

I actually knew that first word…I am surprising myself!

11. December 16, 2015 6:22 pm

Hi Kathy,

This definitely isn’t a book which is likely to make it onto my shelf, however both of your words are new to me and I particularly like asymptote. I can definitely see myself being able to work the word into a conversation, whereas parkour is just a bit outside of my comfort zone … It’s just an age thing 🙂

Thanks for hosting WWW 🙂

Yvonne

12. December 16, 2015 11:08 pm

Kathy, these are both good words from Everything, Everything! I knew neither.

December 17, 2015 7:18 am

Great words. I didn’t know either of them but it was fun learning about parkour.