At the movies: The Martian

December 3, 2015

The Martian

I’m sure by now everyone’s heard of The Martian, the film version of the wildly popular book by Andy Weir.  A friend of mine lent me the book right after it came out but, for some reason, I let it linger on my nightstand.  I was curious, though, and when I heard the movie was well done I talked Carl into seeing it with me.

For those who don’t know, The Martian is the story of botanist Mark Watney, played by Matt Damon,  who is on a mission to Mars.  A freak storm comes up, the commander decides to abort the mission and in the melee that follows, everyone assumes Watney is dead, so they take off without him.  Stranded on a desolate planet, he has to figure out how to survive until he’s rescued.

When NASA realizes he survived, they scramble to come up with a plan to “bring him home.”  They’re in a time crunch, though, so their efforts could be in vain.

I’d heard so many people rave about this book and movie that I went to the theater with very high expectations.  I’m generally not a fan of science fiction but I’d been told it wouldn’t matter with this movie but I’m afraid, for me, it did.  Carl loved the movie but I thought it really dragged in parts and I had trouble suspending disbelief.  In fact, after I saw the movie, I returned the book unread to my friend.  If you do enjoy science fiction, you’ll want to see The Martian – the acting is great and so are the special effects – it just wasn’t the movie for me.

1. December 3, 2015 5:53 am

I really enjoyed the movie, I haven’t read the book though. I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy it.

2. December 3, 2015 7:41 am

The Martian doesn’t really appeal to me and I’ve managed to avoid the book. My husband did see the movie(can’t remember why I didn’t go) and thought it was good, not great.

3. December 3, 2015 8:46 am

I’ve wanted to see this movie even though I’m not a sci-fi fan, and I have this in audio but haven’t listened to it yet. Now maybe I won’t do either.

4. December 3, 2015 9:42 am

Well okay, now I truly believe you don’t like that genre! LOL

5. December 3, 2015 9:56 am

I had a little trouble with the science explanations in the book. That’s why I gave it a 3.25/4. But that wasn’t the case in the movie. I thought that it was more believable than most science fiction stories. But I understand where you’re coming from.

6. December 3, 2015 9:57 am

AND, try to get out and see Spotlight, Steve Jobs, and Trumbo. They are all excellent movies.

7. Beth F permalink
    December 3, 2015 10:33 am

I don’t like scifi either and have avoided the book and the movie, despite the “but you don’t have to like sifi to like *this* one” comments. I’m going to still pass.

December 3, 2015 10:51 am

Den and I are with Carl on this one…heeheehee…but we love SF!

9. December 3, 2015 11:29 am

I’m not a big SciFi lover either but I listened to the audiobook before all they hype about the movie began. The audiobook was fantastic; great story, interesting characters, plenty of action, and a narrator that gave the story life. I have not seen the movie yet. I’m in no rush to see it. The audiobook left me quite happy and satisfied.
    I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy the movie. I wonder if the audiobook would have left a different impression upon you. Better luck on the next one!

10. December 3, 2015 11:57 am

I don’t love SciFi….and while I’ve been ambivalent about this movie, I have now decided it probably wouldn’t be for me. Thanks!

11. December 3, 2015 1:06 pm

I gave this book to my father-in-law last year for Christmas. I’m not interested in the book, but I do want to see the movie.

12. December 3, 2015 1:53 pm

I’m not a fan of space movies, usually, but after I read the back of the book, I thought I may try it. I requested it on Overdrive, but I’m still in line, it is very popular. Maybe I’ll find the audio on audible instead.

13. December 3, 2015 2:22 pm

I’m not a SF fan but I loved the audiobook.

14. December 3, 2015 3:10 pm

Sorry to hear this one was not as you expected. Matt Damon’s a good actor.

15. December 3, 2015 4:18 pm

Everyone has read the book, hmmm, but the movie is already out too

16. December 3, 2015 4:47 pm

I liked the book and thought it was rather humorous but the front half had way too much math for my liking. I don’t know how the movie was in that regard because I have yet to see it myself, but I am not fond of too much math talk and steer clear of it when I can.

17. Literary Feline permalink
    December 3, 2015 7:53 pm

I really enjoyed this movie. More than I thought I would. I haven’t read the book though and am not sure I will.

18. December 4, 2015 7:42 pm

I think I’d like to see the movie. Thanks for your candid review, Kathy. 🙂

19. December 5, 2015 8:46 am

not a sci fic fan but was curious about this book. Have it on my kindle

20. December 5, 2015 8:38 pm

Aw, too bad! I loved the book and thought they did an excellent job adapting it to the movie.

21. December 7, 2015 12:33 am

I’m sorry this one didn’t do it for you. I was blown away even though scifi’s not really my thing either. I appreciate seeing a “not glowing” review though! 🙂

22. December 9, 2015 7:04 am

I can’t imagine telling someone who doesn’t like science fiction to go to The Martian. In my eyes, ONLY people who like science fiction will like The Martian, because it’s all about the science. Science, science, science. I don’t get why someone would tell you that. But sorry you didn’t like it anyhow!

December 17, 2015 7:29 am

Everyone seems to love the book and movie, but like you, I’m not a huge science fiction fan.

24. December 20, 2015 11:25 pm

I liked the movie well enough, I think I gave it a B last month but I do like good science fiction. Jason listened to the book after the movie and said it was even better and I trying to get me to read it. I don’t think I loved it enough to take the time.