November 25, 2015

I found one new word in This is Your Life, Harriet Chance by Jonathan Evison.

1. manifold – “Though the questions are manifold, and seem to multiply exponentially, Harriet begins to arrive, through the throng of complexities, at certain logical reckonings:  The long days at work.”

I’ve heard of an exhaust manifold in a car but I knew that wasn’t what the author meant here so I decided to look it up.  Manifold means many and various.  _____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. November 25, 2015 9:22 am

I was close enough. I’m giving myself a 100% today!

2. November 25, 2015 10:32 am

I too knew exhaust manifold. And the definition you gave is understandable. I like it!

3. November 25, 2015 11:00 am

also thought it had to do with a car exhaust.

4. November 25, 2015 11:39 am

I knew this one!!! Yay, and Happy Thanksgiving, Kathy. 🙂

5. November 25, 2015 12:40 pm

I knew manifold as it relates to automobiles, but had to think about its other meaning. Great word, Kathy. Wishing you and yours a joyous Thanksgiving.

6. November 25, 2015 12:56 pm

No idea

7. November 25, 2015 1:04 pm

Hi Kathy,

I also knew your word this week (in both contexts), however I did decide to check out the book where you found the word.

I really can’t make my mind up whether the premise offers enough intrigue to take a punt on reading it, or not. I have in mind one story in particular, which I read a couple of years ago, where the main protagonists were all elderly people and I did find that book strangely alluring, with the quikiness very likeable.

I may wait to see what your own thoughts about the book are, but thanks for sharing a fun few minutes.

Happy Thanksgiving 🙂

Yvonne

November 25, 2015 1:30 pm

Hmmm…I can’t figure out how to use it in a sentence!

9. November 25, 2015 2:31 pm

Yes, I’ve heard my husband talk about the manifold on a car. Never heard it in this context. I like this Wondrous Words game we play every week just for words like this. Thanks, Kathy. Have a happy Thanksgiving tomorrow.

10. November 25, 2015 7:36 pm

Kathy, I did know this word, but your post helped to reinforce my memory of it.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

December 1, 2015 7:31 am

So funny! I am familiar with the word but had no idea it was a “car” word!