At the movies: Grandma

November 3, 2015

Grandma

When Sage needs money she turns to her grandmother Elle for help.  Elle doesn’t have the money and recently cut up her credit cards but she thinks she knows a few people who can help them out.  Nothing pans out, though, so Sage and Elle decide they need to go to Judy, Elle’s daughter and Sage’s mother.  This crisis might be just the thing to bring the three women closer to each other.

Carl and I thought the trailer for Grandma looked pretty funny so we decided to see the movie.  We discovered that most of the movie’s humorous moments are in that trailer.  That’s not to say the movie isn’t good, it’s just not what we were expecting.

The acting in this movie is great – it was wonderful to see Lily Tomlin in a leading role.  The story is good, too, but I have to admit it left me feeling a little glum as we left the theater.  I’d still recommend it to those who enjoy exploring family relationships.

1. November 3, 2015 5:10 am

I haven’t heard of this movie before. I think I’d like it since I’m a long time fan of Tomlin.

2. Beth F permalink
    November 3, 2015 6:41 am

I’ll keep an eye out for this on Netflix — I’ve always liked Tomlin.

3. November 3, 2015 6:50 am

I love Lily Tomlin in Grace and Frankie on Netflix.

4. November 3, 2015 7:39 am

I find it is so true that trailers usually have most of the best moments!

5. November 3, 2015 9:14 am

You’re right about the movie being mostly about family relationships. But the combination of humor, connecting with the characters, and great acting made it a 4/4 for me.

November 3, 2015 9:52 am

Sometimes the trailers are so deceiving! But you had a nice date!

7. November 3, 2015 9:55 am

I had my eye on this one, even marked down the times on a Post-it…but then it was gone before I had the chance! I do still want to see it, but maybe it will show up On Demand soon…and I can relax and see it at home. Thanks for sharing.

I also enjoy Lily Tomlin in leading roles. There’s a show on Netflix called Grace and Frankie, starring Lily and Jane Fonda, and some guys you probably haven’t seen in a while…Martin Sheen and Sam Waterston. Just saying…

8. November 3, 2015 11:59 am

Tomlin has always been a fave of mine but I have never heard of this one.

November 3, 2015 1:12 pm

I haven’t heard of this one either but it sounds like I’d like it. I love stories about dysfunctional families.

10. Literary Feline permalink
    November 3, 2015 1:33 pm

I hadn’t heard of this one. Hmm. It doesn’t sound like something I would like, to be honest. I do like Lily Tomlin though.

11. extraordinaryordinarywhimsy permalink
    November 3, 2015 1:42 pm

So good but a downer? Noted. 😊

12. November 3, 2015 3:09 pm

Think this is playing at the local Art Cinema now…

13. November 3, 2015 3:26 pm

Kathy, I hadn’t heard of this movie, but it sounds like it’s worthy seeing. I am a fan of Lily Tomlin. 🙂

14. November 3, 2015 3:29 pm

Sounds good

15. November 4, 2015 12:14 am

I love that you go to the movies often! I haven’t heard too much about this one and the family dynamic sounds interesting.

16. November 4, 2015 1:03 pm

I hadn’t heard of this one. This sounds like it is a good one, even though it wasn’t what you were expecting

17. November 4, 2015 5:29 pm

It bugs me when I go to the theater to watch a movie whose trailer indicates a very funny movie and then we find out that all the humor that’s in the movie is what was in the trailer. I think I will pass this one.

18. The Cue Card permalink
    November 5, 2015 12:40 am

Gosh I thought it was supposed to be funny too judging by the trailer.

19. November 5, 2015 11:37 am

the trailer looks hilarious but the downer part has me cautious

20. November 6, 2015 9:31 pm

I don’t mind more serious movies about family relationships but not when I’m expecting lighthearted humor. Thanks for the warning 🙂