October 7, 2015

It’s been a while since I’ve had to do this, but I had to turn to my Word-a-Day calendar this week.

1. apophasis – “‘I won’t bring up that little incident that happened the last time you tried to cook a meal,’ said Laura, in a blatant display of apophasis.”

Apophasis is a noun that means the raising of an issue by claiming not to mention it.  Who knew there’s a word for that?!

_____________________________________________________

2. quinquagenarian – “As a result of her lifelong dedication to exercise and a good diet, she still wears the same dress size as a quinquagenarian as she wore when she was in her twenties.”

A quinquagenarian is a fifty year old person.  I can’t imagine anyone using this word!

_____________________________________________________

3. gormandize – “People stuff themselves, they gorge, they gormandize; their fingers are greasy from morning to night.” — Philippe Sagant, The Dozing Shaman

Gormandize means to eat gluttonously or ravenously.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. October 7, 2015 8:21 am

Wow! All of those are great words, and are new to me. And no, I wouldn’t have thought there was a word for that.

2. October 7, 2015 9:20 am

In an unusual display of actually figuring a word out, I got quinquagenarian (although I thought it was somebody in their 50s, not exactly 50). No clue on apophysis. Should have guessed at gormandize.

3. October 7, 2015 11:09 am

Gormandize I could figure out, and quinquagenarian if I thought about it. “In a few years I will be a quinquagenarian.”

4. Beth Hoffman permalink
    October 7, 2015 11:26 am

I knew gormandize but the others are new to me!

5. October 7, 2015 1:05 pm

Apophasis is so fun, and I swear I’ve used it for WWW but couldn’t remember it.
    And, as the mother of four children, I’ve seen plenty of gormandizing. Thanks for sharing!

6. October 7, 2015 1:22 pm

I also love my word-a-day calendar and your post is a good example why. I had no idea apophysis existed but its a thing that occurs often. Good one Kathy.

7. October 7, 2015 2:29 pm

I didn’t know that apophasis was the word for that kind of conversation!

8. October 7, 2015 3:39 pm

New to me 🙂

October 7, 2015 3:52 pm

I feel…after seeing these…that I have a very limited vocabulary.

10. October 7, 2015 4:00 pm

All new for me, it’s good to learn new words.

11. October 7, 2015 11:02 pm

Excellent words, Kathy! Apophasis is my favorite this week.

Here’s one from my word-a-day calendar: kingmaker: one having great influence over the choice of candidates for political office.

12. October 8, 2015 6:52 am

Apophasis is a very common technique used by the Supreme Court. They even start out passages by saying “We won’t discuss how….”

13. October 8, 2015 10:36 am

The only one of those I’ve heard before is “gormandize.” (Maybe I’m a glutton?) I love “quinquagenarian” — can’t wait to use it on some of my fifty-something friends.

October 10, 2015 6:33 am

I could figure out quinquagenarian but had never heard it before. The rest were new to me.

15. October 12, 2015 3:25 am

I need to get this word-a-day calendar for my kid to help with SAT prep! You stumped me this week.