August 19, 2015

My first word is from Finding Jake by Bryan Reardon.

1. myelin – “Our date night must have provided some fresh myelin for the frayed nerves of daily life.”

Myelin is an insulating layer that forms around nerves.

_____________________________________________________

I found my second word in Why’d They Wear That? by Sarah Albee.

2. sumptuary laws – “When that happened, rulers tried, often in vain, to enforce sumptuary laws.”

Sumptuary laws were a set of laws that prevented extravagance in private life by limiting expenditure for clothing, food and furniture.

_____________________________________________________

My last word is from Kitchens of the Great Midwest by J. Ryan Stradal.

3. tetsubin – “Robbe’s life and home were truly impressive, but she wasn’t going to embarrass herself gushing over every little magnetic knife rack or hobnailed sand iron tetsubin.”

A tetsubin is Japanese cast iron pot with a pouring spout, a lid, and a handle, used for boiling and pouring hot water for drinking purposes.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. August 19, 2015 5:25 am

Never heard of a tetsubin, but I have heard the other 2 words, didn’t know exactly what myelin was, just that it’s in the body. We have sumptuary laws in MA, but we don’t call them that, and in CT they base them on the price of the items. So your Gucci shoes get taxed but not necessarily Target.

2. August 19, 2015 6:09 am

I think I’ve heard the sumptuary laws before. So pompous it sounds!

3. August 19, 2015 7:40 am

I knew myelin and I think a tetsubin would be a handy pot!

4. August 19, 2015 9:09 am

Triple “Nope.”

August 19, 2015 9:26 am

Heehee…is jewelry exempt from those sumptuary laws?

6. August 19, 2015 10:12 am

I knew myelin. That B.A. in psychology came in useful finally. lol

7. August 19, 2015 10:12 am

I learned three new words from you today!

8. August 19, 2015 10:12 am

I knew myelin, my daughter is an RN and I used to help her study. I also had a friend with MS and she explained myelin at the time. Sumptuary laws and tetsubin were new to me. Thanks for sharing.

9. August 19, 2015 10:32 am

A word I know . . . myelin. I guess all those biology classes were good for something.

10. Beth Hoffman permalink
    August 19, 2015 10:37 am

I was stumped by all three!

11. August 19, 2015 11:45 am

Nice wide-ranging set of new words today Kathy. I like sumptuary laws because its going to make me think about all the items that could fall into that category and the effect on societies.

12. August 19, 2015 11:51 am

Hi Kathy,

The only one of this week’s words I know, is myelin.

The other two are both new to me, but I am certainly pleased that author Sarah Albee is discussing sumptuary laws in a historical context (judging by the book’s cover and premise), as I would hate to think that I was subject to such laws today … although maybe that wouldn’t be such a bad idea for making us all a bit less materialistic !!

Great post and thanks for hosting 🙂

Yvonne

13. August 19, 2015 12:43 pm

I knew myelin – thank you P.T. school. Can you imagine anyone trying to pass sumptuary laws in the present day United States? Ha!

14. August 19, 2015 3:50 pm

Didn’t know any of them today.

15. August 19, 2015 4:17 pm

I knew myelin not the other two, this is a great idea. I have yet to master the mr linky thing, would like to put it on the zombie tab over at mine.

Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

16. August 19, 2015 8:21 pm

Ooh Finding Jake! I probably should have looked up myelin while I was reading that one 🙂 All three are new to me!

17. August 20, 2015 2:12 am

There are times that I could use some myelin. Sumptuary laws–this sounds intriguing and I’d like to learn more. Excellent words!

August 24, 2015 10:12 pm

I only knew the first one from Physiology class!