At the movies: Spy

July 30, 2015
tags: ,

Spy

I consider myself a fan of Melissa McCarthy but I’m not really sure why because her movies are hit or miss for me.  I loved her in The Heat and St. Vincent but wasn’t crazy about her role in Tammy.  Unfortunately, Spy was another miss for me.

McCarthy plays Susan Cooper, a CIA analyst who volunteers to go in the field when her partner is murdered.  Her boss lets her go but tells her to stay in the background and collect data.  That’s not enough for Susan though, and, before she knows it, she’s in the middle of an international terrorist plot.

I expected Spy to be a spoof but it’s not.  It’s not sure what it wants to be but basically it’s a spy movie with some funny parts, most of which are in the trailer.  I found the pacing to be too slow and the amount of profanity to be unnecessary.  If you decide to see this one, I recommend waiting until you can rent it.

1. July 30, 2015 7:03 am

I think people think it’s profoundly funny to see her use profanity, for whatever reason. Jim saw this with the grandkids but I didn’t, but I’ll probably watch it when it gets to t.v.

2. July 30, 2015 7:37 am

I like Melissa McCarthy too, it’s too bad this one didn’t work for you.

3. July 30, 2015 8:02 am

I love Melissa McCarthy, but didn’t love Tammy. I don’t understand why a movie can’t just be funny without the sexual references and cussing. My son has seen Spy and told me I should watch it. After reading your review I’m not as excited to see it.

4. July 30, 2015 8:14 am

I liked Melissa McCarthy best in her Gilmore Girls days. These days it seems like she plays the same character in every movie, and the storylines are hit or miss.

5. July 30, 2015 8:43 am

My husband and I saw this a few weeks ago. I completely agree with your review.

6. July 30, 2015 9:25 am

I didn’t see Spy, but I completely agree with you about the hit and miss. I also really liked her in The Heat and St. Vincent. I was especially impressed with her serious acting in St. Vincent (which was a terrific movie). I wasn’t planning on seeing Spy. And now I definitely won’t see it.

July 30, 2015 10:03 am

Yep…there is just this sameness in her movies…she’s easier in small spurts?

8. July 30, 2015 10:31 am

sorry you didn’t enjoy this one, I haven’t seen any of her movies, I do watch Mike and Molly, but only because I like Carl, and Vince.

9. July 30, 2015 10:52 am

I really liked this movie, sorry to hear it wasn’t a favorite.

10. July 30, 2015 11:08 am

I really like Melissa McCarthy, although I cannot say I have seen many of her movies. I do want to see this one, but will follow your advice and wait for it to come out on Netflix.

11. July 30, 2015 11:28 am

I was wondering why I was on the fence with this one, but, like you, I don’t always enjoy Melissa McCarthy’s movies. I loved her best in Gilmore Girls…LOL.

Yes, I’ll wait for the rental. Thanks!

12. July 30, 2015 4:30 pm

I will watch it 😀

13. July 30, 2015 6:49 pm

This sounds pretty good. I don’t enjoy excessive profanity in movies (or elsewhere).

14. July 30, 2015 7:10 pm

This doesn’t really appeal to me except for Statham!

15. July 31, 2015 6:34 pm

I love Melissa McCarthy but like you said, her movies are a hit or miss with me as well. I wanted to watch this one but I’ll probably wait until later.

16. August 2, 2015 1:39 pm

We went to see Spy in the theaters and thought it was really funny, but I can see how the pitch of the humor wouldn’t be for everyone.

17. August 3, 2015 4:47 pm

I liked the way Melissa’s character kept getting the dowdy undercover roles and then she finally took charge and made herself glamorous. Seeing the fat woman get to wear some flattering clothes was worth the price of admission, for me.

18. August 4, 2015 5:11 am

I don’t think I’ve seen previews for this one, because I don’t watch a lot of television. But in the past I’ve gone to see her movies simply because I’m a Melissa fan.. unfortunately the last couple I saw weren’t that great and basically the same character over and over again. I’m glad I read your review because it just saved me some money, ha. 🙂

19. August 5, 2015 7:14 am

Good to know… we can put it in the NetFlix queue if we are desperate for a spy movie. Thanks for the tip!

August 8, 2015 12:03 pm

Based on what I’ve read, you’ve offered some good advice to wait.