June 3, 2015

I found more words in Mademoiselle Chanel by C. W. Gortner.

1. peripatetic – “I had become accustomed to a peripatetic existence and welcomed the changes, furnishing my new residence with sandalwood Coromandel screens, Venetian mirrors, and antique statues bought in Italy.”

Peripatetic has quite a few meanings but I think the author used it to mean pedestrian or itinerant.

_____________________________________________________

2. vitrine – “In November, we presented the collection at my home, displayed on wax mannequins in police-guarded vitrines.”

A vitrine is a glass showcase or cabinet, especially for displaying fine wares or specimens.  I can’t wait to use this one!

_____________________________________________________

3. petard – “That spring, the working class held the largest strike ever seen, hoisting their petards and marching in the streets.”

A petard is a case containing an explosive to break down a door or gate or breach a wall.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

June 3, 2015 6:45 am

I think I remember this novel having quite a few unique words. I only knew the second one!

2. June 3, 2015 7:13 am

I have always wondered about petard and why people might be hoisted on it. I need to read this book with all this rich vocabulary. It’s already on my TBR, so maybe this summer.

3. June 3, 2015 9:09 am

Interesting words!

4. June 3, 2015 9:10 am

Knew peripatetic cold! 1 out of 3 is not that good.

5. June 3, 2015 10:15 am

Vitrine was new to me. I knew peripatetic, and had heard petard, but could not have given a definition. Thanks for sharing these words, I am going to have to move this book up nearer the top of my TBR list.

6. beth hoffman permalink
    June 3, 2015 10:55 am

I knew vitrine from my interior design background, but the others were new to me!

7. June 3, 2015 12:02 pm

I haven’t even heard of that book!

8. June 3, 2015 1:08 pm

I can’t believe you’re still getting WW from this book. It seems to be good for both story and new words.

9. June 3, 2015 2:41 pm

Hi Kathy,

Whist this probably isn’t a book I would enjoy, I love the very eloquent language the author adopts. Despite my love of the rather gritty thriller, I also particularly enjoy literary fiction at its very best and ‘Mademoiselle Chanel ‘ seems to fit the bill very nicely!

I was therefore rather impressed that I actually knew all of your words this time, although I have a terrible time getting my tongue around peripatetic, without it coming out all wrong!

Thanks for a lovely post and for continuing to host WWW, it is always fun to play along 🙂

Yvonne

10. June 3, 2015 3:19 pm

Wow – all new – and difficult to pronounce – for me!

11. June 3, 2015 3:20 pm

Excellent words this week! Peripatetic sounds like an SAT word. I’d like to use vitrine also! 🙂

12. June 3, 2015 3:49 pm

Good and interesting words.

13. June 3, 2015 4:02 pm

I knew nr 2! 😀 Cos that is what it is called here. Vitrin…

June 3, 2015 4:43 pm

I would love to remember to toss around peripatetic in conversations!

15. June 4, 2015 12:42 am

These words are very spiffy and this book sounds fab!