At the movies: McFarland, USA

April 23, 2015
tags:

McFarland USA

Teacher and coach Jim White was fired from his job for throwing something at one of his football players and ended up in one of the poorest school districts in the country – McFarland, California.  The school and its students are poor and mostly Hispanic and have little to be proud of.

After having a disagreement with the football coach and being relieved of his duties with the team, White noticed how fast his students can run.  He talked the principal into allowing him to start up a cross country team and recruited students to be on the team.  The boys had to work in the fields as well as go to school so being on the team wasn’t always easy.  Their efforts paid off, though – the team was successful and gave the community something to be proud of and helped the boys secure a brighter future.

McFarland, USA is a feel good movie based on a true story and my friend and I thoroughly enjoyed it – she said she thinks it’s the best movie we’ve seen this year.  It’s full of heart and shows the sense of purpose and belonging being on a team can provide as well as the difference the right teacher can make.

The cast of the movie was terrific and I rooted for those kids and Coach White and even shed quite a few tears along the way.  McFarland, USA is rated PG and is a great movie for the whole family.

1. April 23, 2015 7:40 am

Sounds like one my husband and I would enjoy!

2. Beth F permalink
    April 23, 2015 7:52 am

This looks really good. I somehow missed it, so I’m glad you reviewed it here.

3. April 23, 2015 9:13 am

I totally agree with you and your friend. I loved this movie too. In fact, it’s interesting because I think I’ve seen 6 Kevin Costner sports movies – including my favorite movie of all time – Field of Dreams. Plus, Bull Durham was great. I’ve seen Costner in non-sports movies that I liked. But the sports movies stand out. His last one before McFarland was Draft Day. I gave that one a 4/4. McFarland was a 3.5/4.

4. April 23, 2015 9:15 am

I wanted to go see this movie at the drive in but didn’t make it. Glad you liked it.

5. April 23, 2015 10:53 am

Thanks, Kathy, I have been on the fence about this one…and now I am intrigued! The title seemed boring to me…LOL. And Kevin Costner is sometimes boring….but this one definitely sounds like one I should see.

6. April 23, 2015 11:06 am

The consultant on set is the coach for my son’s high school. My son ran track with him for a couple of years and then quit because his load was too heavy and then recently, the cast and crew came to my daughter’s track meet to take an “after movie” type interview. She wasn’t there that day though because of Spring break. She wasn’t too happy about that.

7. April 23, 2015 12:00 pm

I love uplifting sports movies – I’ll have to check this one out!

8. Literary Feline permalink
    April 23, 2015 2:21 pm

My mom really liked this one and is recommending it to everyone she knows. 🙂

9. April 23, 2015 2:46 pm

Kathy, I saw this and thought it was great. I definitely want to see it again! 🙂

10. April 23, 2015 3:59 pm

Sports movie, eh

11. April 23, 2015 4:22 pm

My husband would really like this — I think this should be a bro date with Anna’s husband so we can do something else! 🙂

April 23, 2015 4:40 pm

I am so glad it’s good!

13. April 23, 2015 6:43 pm

I’ll be seeing this one. Even if it wasn’t good I might watch it just based on Kevin Costner acting in it. lol.

14. April 24, 2015 9:10 pm

I have been hoping to watch this one for a while. I love stories like these – where an underdog team transforms so much that they ultimately become a force to reckon with.

15. April 24, 2015 10:08 pm

Jason and my dad wanted to see this but I wan’t excited about it until I read this, Kathy! Maybe I’ll like it after all 🙂

16. April 25, 2015 8:40 am

This one looks really good to me! I wish it were out on DVD,as it is raining here today (my favorite) and I don’t have much to do.

17. April 25, 2015 9:24 am

You’re absolutely right … this is a feel-good movie and a worthy winner. 😉

18. April 26, 2015 1:41 am

I saw the trailer for this one and it does look like a good feel-good movie. Glad to hear it worked for you!

19. April 26, 2015 4:48 pm

This is exactly the kind of inspirational sports movie that I love 🙂

20. Melissa S permalink
    April 27, 2015 1:18 pm

I’ve wanted to see this as well; there is a McFarland in Wisconsin too (maybe 15 mins from my home in Madison) and I never looked into the title and where it was set or if it was a fictional place. I LOVE movies like this!

21. The Cue Card permalink
    April 29, 2015 12:18 am

I definitely want to see it. Glad you liked it

22. talesofwhimsy permalink
    April 30, 2015 7:07 pm

I have a thing for sports movies. I need to try this one.

May 12, 2015 7:35 am

I want Booking Son to see this one!