At the movies: The Imitation Game

March 19, 2015

THE IMITATION GAME, US advance poster art, Benedict Cumberbatch as Alan Turing, 2014. © Weinstein

Somehow, I missed the buzz and trailers for The Imitation Game and I didn’t even think too much about it when it was nominated for an Academy Award because I had no idea what it was about.  When a few people I know started talking about it, I perked up and got a friend to see it with me.

The Imitation Game is based on the true story of Alan Turing, a British mathematician who built an early computer to crack the Enigma code the Nazis were using to transmit data.  The Enigma code was ever evolving so most people thought it was unbreakable but Turing was confident it could be done.    He and his team worked non-stop to achieve their goal.  His life came to a tragic end years later.

I really enjoyed The Imitation Game and wondered why I’d never heard of Turing and his team.   They were brilliant and determined and their hard work still impacts our daily lives.  I thought the movie had a few slow moments but I still enjoyed this “behind the scenes” peek of World War II.  The casting is perfect – the actors had great chemistry and I thought everyone was well suited for their roles.   This movie is well worth seeing – be sure to check it out.  It will be released on DVD on March 31.

1. March 19, 2015 6:31 am

Thanks for sharing your review Kathy. I vaguely remember hearing something about the code cracking, but did not know about this movie. It looks like something I would enjoy.

2. Diane (@bookchickdi) permalink
    March 19, 2015 7:30 am

Everyone I know who has seen this movie absolutely raves about it.

3. March 19, 2015 7:56 am

Adding it to our Netflix queue!

4. March 19, 2015 8:35 am

My husband and FIL loved it… glad I’ll get to see it on DVD soon.

5. March 19, 2015 9:02 am

We’re waiting for it to show up on cable….

6. March 19, 2015 9:07 am

I doubt this will be on netflix.ca for a few years, if ever . . . but I will keep on the watch for for it.

I read the book upon which the movie is based: imaginatively titled Alan Turing: The Enigma Man. 😉 It was a little dry in spots (suited to a more scientific mind than mine) but still very enlightening. In it, Churchill is quoted as saying something to the effect that had it not been for Turing and his team, the Allies would not have won the war. Pretty heady stuff, that.

7. March 19, 2015 9:21 am

I also added it to my Netflix queue. I did know who Alan Turing was and his work at Bletchley Park. Not sure I knew that is what this movie was about. So, thanks so much!!

8. March 19, 2015 9:49 am

I totally agree. It was one of my favorite movies of 2014.

9. March 19, 2015 10:21 am

It didn’t really appear on my radar until the Oscars…then I was curious. Thanks for sharing.

10. March 19, 2015 10:32 am

I was actually ahead of the game on this movie, for once. My mom and I saw it right when it came out. I loved it and declared it Oscar-worthy even before the Oscars had, I think. LOL!

11. March 19, 2015 1:00 pm

Excellent review and presentation, Kathy! This sounds like a great movie, and I hope to see it.

12. March 19, 2015 2:13 pm

I’ve been waiting waiting waiting for this one to hit video! So glad it’ll be out the end of the month. Glad you enjoyed it! The name Turing sounded familiar to me but I wasn’t really aware until the movie was released.

13. March 19, 2015 2:20 pm

I bet my both of my sons would love this movie!

14. March 19, 2015 2:25 pm

I’ve never had the desire to watch this movie, but after reading your fantastic review, I will. 🙂

March 19, 2015 3:13 pm

I enjoyed that movie, too!

16. March 19, 2015 3:41 pm

I’ve been waiting to see this movie.

17. March 19, 2015 5:07 pm

I was saddened by what happened to him

18. March 19, 2015 5:11 pm

This is one i had my eye on as well! I still want to see it.

19. March 19, 2015 5:28 pm

I think I already have this one on my Netflix list. I think the only reason I knew about this one is because I heard it advertised on public radio…which I only listened to because my car cd player was out of commission!

20. March 19, 2015 7:54 pm

My entire family loved this movie – from my parents down to the teen and tween. Benedict Cumberbatch is of course amazing, but I thought this was the best I’d ever seen Keira Knightley and all the small characters were great as well (including two Downton Abbey actors!).

21. March 19, 2015 9:33 pm

I loved it too 🙂

22. Ryan permalink
    March 20, 2015 11:58 am

I’m glad Alan Turning is getting the recognition he is due, but from everything I’ve read, and heard about he movie, they place around with the actual facts about his personal life and his relationships. I wish they would have done a better job at portraying who he was as a whole person, instead of leaving some of the more personal stuff out. I guess that’s to be expected of a biopic, but it shouldn’t be.

On a side not, if not sure most people realized that he wasn’t granted a pardon for his homosexuality conviction until 2013. There are still, roughly, 49,000 other men convicted under the same law, waiting the same consideration.

23. Beth F permalink
    March 20, 2015 12:51 pm

Why didn’t I know about this or pay attention to it? This is going on the must-watch list.

24. March 21, 2015 1:32 am

I never got around to seeing this when it was in the theaters and I’meagerly waiting for it to come out on DVD so I can rent it. I’ve heard mostly really great things about the movie and the subject matter certainly does sound interesting.

25. March 21, 2015 4:13 pm

I agree, I loved the casting in this movie! I thought the script could use a little work… it felt kind of dramaticized to me, but overall I liked this one.

26. Literary Feline permalink
    March 23, 2015 5:30 pm

I had not heard of this movie before it was nominated for an Oscar. I do hope to see it at some point.

27. The Cue Card permalink
    March 24, 2015 3:22 pm

I loved it! What a story!

March 24, 2015 8:39 pm

I have heard wonderful things about this movie. Like you, I wasn’t familiar with the story.