At the movies: Whiplash

March 10, 2015
tags: ,

Whiplash

Mr Fletcher is a teacher at a music conservatory who is determined to discover and mentor a student of the caliber of Charlie Parker and he’ll use any sadistic means at his disposal to reach that goal.  He may well have met his match when he encounters Andrew, a new percussion student.

Vance and I decided to see Whiplash after it was nominated for an Academy Award.  Let me tell you this movie is intense.  Mr. Fletcher is brutal in his attempts to take his students to the breaking point and I cringed at times as I watched him.  Make no mistake, though, J. K. Simmons is brilliant in his portrayal of this music teacher from hell.  The sound track of the film is brilliant as well.

Vance and I both liked this movie very much – he more than I – and found a lot to talk about after seeing it.  Because of language and content, Whiplash is not for the whole family.  It’s out on DVD now and well worth seeing.

1. March 10, 2015 6:07 am

It’s on my list of movies to see.

2. March 10, 2015 8:40 am

We have not yet seen even one of the Oscar nominees!

3. March 10, 2015 8:41 am

This sounds like such a great movie! I have to see it! I always remember Simmons as Juno’s father and the Farmer’s insurance man 🙂

4. March 10, 2015 8:45 am

I have been contemplating watching this one…I have enjoyed J. K. Simmons in other movies…and in TV shows. After he won an award at the Oscars, and I saw the snippets from the film, I was even more intrigued. Glad you enjoyed it, and now I plan to add it to my queue for the weekend.

5. March 10, 2015 9:40 am

I’ve been wanting to see this movie for a long time. And it’s playing in our local theater (a short walk from our apartment). I fear that I won’t get there before it disappears. Thanks for the review.

6. March 10, 2015 10:57 am

Since both of our boys (teens) are drummers I was anxious to see this movie. Then a friend of mine said she left after 20 minutes because she couldn’t handle watching it. She said it was brutal and not for the boys to see. So….maybe my husband and I will get it on Netflix and watch it first. Thanks for your perspective.

7. March 10, 2015 1:00 pm

I’m glad it’s out on DVD because we rarely get good movies here in our little town. Netflix is my friend! But I love going to the movies (sigh)

8. March 10, 2015 2:44 pm

I’ve seen a couple of snippets from this movie and thought it would be hard to watch.

9. Literary Feline permalink
    March 10, 2015 3:16 pm

I hadn’t even heard of this movie before it was nominated for an Oscar. I am not sure when I will see it, but hopefully someday.

10. talesofwhimsy permalink
    March 10, 2015 3:16 pm

I’m not sure it’s for me but I think Mr. Whimsy will dig it.

11. March 10, 2015 3:42 pm

This sounds ultra intense!

12. March 10, 2015 4:36 pm

Bf liked this one, i thought it was ok, just too much…drumming

March 10, 2015 5:45 pm

We have been debating about this one…I can’t see movies that will make me wince!

14. The Cue Card permalink
    March 10, 2015 6:45 pm

It seems really intense. I will likely see it though subject matter seems tough

15. March 10, 2015 8:32 pm

I really want to see this! Glad to hear it’s a worthwhile watch.

16. March 10, 2015 11:10 pm

I’m like Jill – I haven’t seen any of the Oscar nominees yet either. And probably the first one I’ll end up watching is Big Hero Six – Dylan really wants to watch it!

17. March 10, 2015 11:42 pm

I’ll have to make a point of seeing this one. The only Oscar movie I’ve sesn so far is Birdman and I wasn’t at all fond of it.

18. Diane (@bookchickdi) permalink
    March 11, 2015 9:19 am

JK Simmons was scarier as a music teacher than he was a racist violent prison inmate on Oz. He deserved the Oscar.

19. March 11, 2015 12:24 pm

I was not aware of this movie, I am going to watch for it now!

20. March 12, 2015 8:46 am

Simmons is such an underrated actor, and I think it is awesome that he was nominated and won!

21. March 13, 2015 11:19 pm

I was SOOO happy when JK won the Oscar for this role. He was incredible. Jason liked the movie more than me and, like you mentioned, it led to excellent discussion. What is the price of greatness?

22. Jennifer permalink
    March 21, 2015 1:37 am

One of my coworkers recommended this film to me. Your review is reminding me that I should go see this sooner than later.

March 24, 2015 8:44 pm

I thought this one looked fantastic. Wished we lived closer so I could go to movies with you!