At the movies: Wild

February 3, 2015
tags: ,

Wild movie

When Wild, by Cheryl Strayed, was first out, I wasn’t interested in it, even though several of my friends loved it.  I’m not very outdoorsy and couldn’t see the appeal in reading about someone hiking the Pacific Crest Trail.  I do like Reese Witherspoon, though, and decided to give the movie version a chance and, boy, am I glad I did!

Strayed was raised by a cheerful, optimistic single mother and was devastated when her mother died at 45.  In her grief she made some poor decisions and her life was a mess.  When a friend questioned her choices and told her she was worried about her, Strayed decided to hike the Pacific Crest Trail.  She had no hiking experience and had a rough start but learned a lot along the way.  The hike was very therapeutic for her and helped her release her demons.

Reese Witherspoon plays Strayed in the movie version of Wild.  Her performance was outstanding and has earned her an Academy Award nomination.  I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and understood Strayed’s need to hike.  I bought the book after seeing the movie and hope to read it soon – I hope it’s as good as the movie!

1. February 3, 2015 7:46 am

I read this book a while back and really liked it. I’ve been putting off seeing the film, but I know I really need to go see it! Thanks for the review.

2. February 3, 2015 7:51 am

I think I would be more interested in the movie than the book. Somehow, Eat, Pray, Love kind of books tire me out. Or maybe it is just Eat, Pray, Love. I’d like to watch the movie Wild though.

3. February 3, 2015 8:38 am

I watched WILD with a couple of book club friends. We’d all read the book and all liked it but felt that the movie actually presented Strayed’s inner thoughts more effectively than the book did. I found her writing about her past a bit over the top – but I “got” how the past drove her to take this journey in the movie. Witherspoon’s performance and the imagistic flashes of memory added up for me in a way that the writing didn’t. I did talk to one person who really hated the movie (and hadn’t read the book) but I’d recommend it.

4. February 3, 2015 9:24 am

Maybe I’ll see this one after all…

5. February 3, 2015 9:50 am

I liked the movie too, although not as much as you did, I think. Witherspoon does do a great job. I actually thought that Laura Dern was the most outstanding. I have had the book for about a year and never got through it. I’m moving in a couple of weeks and purged a ton of books, including Wild. I know it’s been highly regarded. I just had to make some choices.

February 3, 2015 11:37 am

I hope this plays at our Cinema Suites…now that’s the only kind of theatre I can go to!

7. February 3, 2015 12:32 pm

Can’t wait to see this-I loved the book!

8. February 3, 2015 2:31 pm

I haven’t read the book, but the movie is something I would watch.

9. Literary Feline permalink
    February 3, 2015 4:14 pm

I still haven’t drummed up the motivation to see this one, but I know my mom really liked it.

10. February 3, 2015 4:27 pm

I hadn’t really thought much about this movie, but now you’ve piqued my interest! Looking forward to your thoughts on the book.

11. February 3, 2015 5:27 pm

I saw the movie and thought it was incredible, in many ways (even better than the trailer)!

12. February 3, 2015 6:35 pm

There’s a lot in the book that didn’t make it into the movie, but I thought the adaptation was fantastic. I think you’ll like the book!

13. February 3, 2015 8:58 pm

I’m glad the movie is good! I’m hoping to see it when it comes to our town, especially since I really enjoyed the book.

14. February 3, 2015 9:07 pm

I am hoping to see this movie in a few days! I was one that had issues with the book… Did you see the author defend her knowledge of being “outdoorsy” recently? Actually made me wince a bit because I was a bit harsh with my criticism – I still can’t comprehend someone not lifting her pack before getting on the trail. But people are different? And her advice book is SO highly praised. Makes me remember that we really need to be kind. What’s the point of being judgemental!?

15. February 3, 2015 9:35 pm

Kathy. I didn’t like the book (DNF), but enjoyed the movie. Hope u like the book.

16. February 4, 2015 8:08 am

I loved the book. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the trailer. The movie looks really good!

17. February 4, 2015 11:00 am

Thank you for sharing – I’ve been wondering what this movie is all about. I do like to hike and will have to either read the book or watch the movie (you know I hate to watch before I read.)

18. February 4, 2015 12:55 pm

The scene at the beginning of the movie where Cheryl is trying to get her enormous backpack on was hilarious. I hope you’ll read the book. The movie followed it quite closely, in my opinion. I loved both versions.

19. February 4, 2015 3:33 pm

I want to read this book and see the movie too. So glad you enjoyed it.

20. February 4, 2015 3:43 pm

Liked the movie a lot.

21. February 5, 2015 10:39 pm

I just saw the movie and really liked it. I am so curious about the book now. Will be looking for your review!

22. February 6, 2015 12:46 am

I loved the book and I can’t wait for the movie.

23. Beth F permalink
    February 6, 2015 7:08 am

Hummm. I threw the book across the room after about 30 pages because I AM outdoorsy and was mad at the stupid decisions she made. I was developing the feeling that she was simply damn lucky for surviving. (See Care’s comments.) I never finished the book and will likely wait until the movie comes out on Blu-ray.

24. February 7, 2015 10:05 am

I felt the same way; I ended up really enjoying the movie; Reese Witherspoon was phenomenal! I have a friend that hikes the John Muir trail every summer and after seeing the movie I feel somewhat inspired to try and one day join him! Taking on such a challenge and succeeding would undoubtably be life-affirming. I hope you enjoy the book. I haven’t read it but I know I would certainly love to.

25. talesofwhimsy permalink
    February 7, 2015 6:43 pm

I reallly need to see this.

26. February 7, 2015 11:19 pm

I like Reese too but will probably wait a bit to see it. Glad you liked it.

27. swright9 permalink
    February 10, 2015 2:08 pm

Yep. I liked the movie too; it’s worth seeing.

February 12, 2015 12:40 pm

I agree with you — not something I’d go out of the way to see or read; however, I have heard so many great things about it. I wonder if you’re ready to try hiking yet?