My Favorite Books of 2014

January 1, 2015
tags:

The Best of 2014

2014 was a pretty hectic year so I didn’t read as many books as I usually do.  My numbers might have suffered, but the quality certainly did not.  After much deliberation, I’ve narrowed my list of favorites for the year down to eleven.  These are books that resonated with me for one reason or another.  They weren’t necessarily published in 2014 – I just read them then.

Nonfiction:

Fiction:

Middle Grade and Young Adult:

What were some of your favorite books of the year?

1. January 1, 2015 4:49 am

I have The Invention of Wings on my TBR list, should pick that up soon.

I read quite a lot of books last year, but it was pretty easy to shortlist my top ten. I guess my problem was quantity, but not enough quality 😦

2. January 1, 2015 6:49 am

Ove made my list too 🙂

3. January 1, 2015 7:35 am

Ove made lots of TOP lists for 2014 (including mine). Happy New Year and Hally Reading Kathy.

4. January 1, 2015 8:01 am

I loved This is Where I Leave You! And I also really liked The Fever…it was my first Megan Abbott. One Summer is also on my TBR list. Happy New Year!

5. January 1, 2015 8:03 am

I see several favorites here – including This is Where I Leave You. Must read Ove.
    Happy New Year, Kathy!

6. January 1, 2015 8:56 am

Yeah this year I also didn’t read as many books as I would have liked. I have A Man Called Ove on my TBR list.

7. January 1, 2015 9:01 am

I’ve heard so many good things about Fever that it is one book that is going to be added to my TBR in 2015. Great selection of books for 2014. Happy New Year may it be full of enjoyable reads.

January 1, 2015 9:15 am

Lovely! I haven’t read any of them!

9. January 1, 2015 9:20 am

I love Jonathan Tropper’s books! I have a copy of A Man Called Ove from the library but haven’t had time to start it yet.

10. Amy permalink
    January 1, 2015 10:03 am

Looks like a good list! I need to finish Roomies! Happy New Year!

11. January 1, 2015 10:04 am

Interesting list! It’s so hard to narrow down!!!

12. January 1, 2015 10:33 am

Great picks! I haven’t read any of these, but several are on my TBR. Story of my life, right?

13. January 1, 2015 10:41 am

Looks like a good list, many I have not had the opportunity to read yet. Happy New Year Kathy!

14. January 1, 2015 11:14 am

I also loved This Is Where I Leave You, but it didn’t make my top ten…but only because there were sooo many books I loved this year…LOL.

I want to read The Invention of Wings and The Competition. Enjoy your New Year!

15. January 1, 2015 11:24 am

The Competition made my top list of the year also. I have A Man Called Ove unread on my kindle, after being recommended it by you and several other bloggers 🙂 I also would like to read The Invention of Wings. Don’t know why some readers were down on it; it sounds like a very good story. Thanks for sharing your list.

16. January 1, 2015 12:21 pm

I have not read a single one of those :/

17. January 1, 2015 12:26 pm

I only read 2 of your top 11. I totally agree with you on This Is Where I Leave You. It’s definitely in my top books of the year. I thought The Fever was pretty good, but I didn’t love it. 1 out of 2 isn’t bad!

18. January 1, 2015 12:36 pm

Great list Kathy! I loved The Invemtion of Wings too. Happy New Year my friend!

19. January 1, 2015 12:37 pm

Happy New Year, Kathy! I’ve read 3 of these (Roomies, The Fever, This is Where I Leave You) and picked up Pioneer Girl because of your review. Looks like you had a great year in books! Hope 2015 brings more wonderful book discoveries.

20. January 1, 2015 12:37 pm

oh goodie there’s some on your list I haven’t read either ~ you have a habit of adding to my ever growing TBR stacks 😉

I especially have been wanting to read Roomies and the Marcia Clark book. I’ll have to remedy that this new year! Hope 2015 is a fantastic year for you! Wishing you lots of love and happiness this new year.

21. January 1, 2015 12:40 pm

Happy new year Kathy!! I haven’t read any of these books but would like to get to the Bryson eventually. Hope 2015 is a wonderful year for you!

22. January 1, 2015 12:50 pm

Your nonfiction picks look interesting! I don’t have a best of list for 2014, but the two books that stand out in my mind are The Martian and The Secret Place.

23. January 1, 2015 3:29 pm

great list, I think Mr. Owita someplace, I’ll have to get to it soon.

24. January 1, 2015 3:32 pm

Same here. I didn’t read much books in 2014 since I was reading magazines as well. My fav for 2014 is One Hundred Years of Solitude. It blew my mind.

25. January 1, 2015 3:32 pm

I really enjoyed Mister Owita too. That came close to making my list but I stopped at ten!

26. January 1, 2015 4:15 pm

I loved The Story Hour and This Is Where I Leave You. I have A Man Called Ove and Mister Owita’s Guide to Gardening on my 2015 reading list.

27. January 1, 2015 4:50 pm

Kathy, I have The Fever and should read it soon! Happy New Year!

28. January 1, 2015 6:16 pm

I’ve only read one of your favorites – The Fever! I did just put Invention of Wings on my MP3 player to listen to soon, though. Happy New Year, Kathy!

29. January 1, 2015 7:09 pm

I haven’t read any of your books either! But I did see the movie This is Where I Leave You, that counts right?

30. swright9 permalink
    January 1, 2015 7:27 pm

I still have Pioneer Girl on my TBR list. I need to get to that one!

31. January 1, 2015 9:02 pm

I haven’t read any of these but a couple look interesting. My favorite in 2014 was The Martian by Andy Weir.

32. January 1, 2015 9:18 pm

I love reading everyone’s lists because they are never the same and I find new ones to add to my to-read list all the time. I am still trying to come up with my “Best of 2014” list. Hoping next week I can get it done!

33. January 1, 2015 9:28 pm

Pioneer Girl was an excellent book. I helped me out of a reading rut. Happy New Year.

34. lisaalmedasumner permalink
    January 1, 2015 9:34 pm

I really have to read The Invention of Wings–I have heard so many good things about that book. And it really fits in with what I am teaching now. Happy New Year!

35. January 1, 2015 9:35 pm

I’ve got my favorite narrowed down and need to finish up. Invention of Wings is on the list. Happy New Year Kathy.

36. January 1, 2015 9:59 pm

Thanks for sharing your list Kathy. I loved The Invention of Wings. That is the only one I’ve read on your list. I would like to read others on your list. I’m glad you had a good year in reading. Happy New Year!

37. January 2, 2015 1:08 pm

One Summer was o e of my favorites too.

38. January 2, 2015 2:10 pm

Great books on the list, and I think we only have Umrigar’s book in common!

39. Literary Feline permalink
    January 2, 2015 2:23 pm

I gave my mother-in-law A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman for her birthday and she loved it. It was her favorite book of the year. 🙂 I guess I should read it now. LOL I do have a copy.

I really need to read Marcia Clark’s series too.

I hope you have a very Happy New Year, Kathy!

40. Beth F permalink
    January 2, 2015 3:16 pm

Argh, there are some there I missed! Happy, happy new year. So happy to see 2014 go out the door.

41. January 2, 2015 5:28 pm

I haven’t read any of these! I do want to read A Man Called Ove. I just never got to it. Happy New Year!

42. January 2, 2015 7:50 pm

It makes you realize how diverse our reading is Kathy. I have only read one book on your list but after seeing it there is a few books I will need to check out. Happy New Year

43. Silver's Reviews permalink
    January 3, 2015 11:57 am

I haven’t read any of the other books you have listed, but I did read The Invention of Wings. Loved it.

Happy New Year.

44. January 3, 2015 3:05 pm

Hi Kathy and Happy New Year! You’ve got several books on your list that have been on mine, though I’ve not read any of them yet. Isn’t that always the way? LOL

I wanted to stop by and say hello and invite you to visit my new blog – kay’s reading life. I’m stepping back into blogging and looking forward to reconnecting with others and talking about books and reading. I’ve missed it a lot. I’ve always loved your posts telling of author events that you’ve attended. Glad to see that you have continued to get to do that. Take care!

45. January 4, 2015 11:29 am

I read a book by Sara Zarr a few years ago and loved it. I’m definitely going to have to check out Roomies. I’m also really interested in Mister Owita’s Guide to Gardening. It sounds lovely! Happy New Year!

46. January 4, 2015 5:36 pm

A Man Called Ove is certainly one of my top favorites from 2014 – it was such an amazing read. I haven’t read any of your other favorites, so I need to check them out.

47. January 5, 2015 11:21 am

Loved The Story Hour and This Is Where I Leave You. I want to read everything by both authors!

48. January 5, 2015 6:44 pm

I haven’t read a single book on your list! And I couldn’t even do a favorites of 2014 list myself, since I was hit miss with the record keeping last year.

49. January 5, 2015 11:37 pm

Good to know you liked Pioneer Girl! I bought it last year at TLA, but I haven’t seen too much about it on the blogosphere. I plan to read it soon.

I also really enjoyed The Story Hour. She’s a great writer.

January 6, 2015 11:26 am

Oh my! First of all, I’m so proud of you for sharing this list. I didn’t and am quite embarrassed. Secondly, I’ve barely read any of them!!! I better get to work.

51. January 11, 2015 9:46 pm

I always love reading these Best Of lists. I add new titles to my TBR list and try to get to them in during the current year. A Man Called Ove and The Invention of Wings are two that I really want to read in 2015. I’m trying to cut back on my computer time in order to make more time to read, but it’s tough to ignore all the great blog posts that come through in my feed every day. 😉 Thanks for all your great recommendations.

52. January 17, 2015 1:20 pm

I haven’t read any of these, but thanks for putting them on my radar!

53. January 24, 2015 8:10 am

I’m reading The Competion now and am enjoying it. A few others on your list are hopefuls for this year.

54. January 24, 2015 8:11 am