December 10, 2014

I found two more words in A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman.

1. palaver – “Although Ove doesn’t feel there’s a need to make such a palaver about cooking, as Parvaneh does.”

Palavar has several similar meanings but the one that seems to fit this sentence the best is a long parley usually between persons of different cultures or levels of sophistication.

_____________________________________________________

2. anodyne – “‘Ove has a heart problem . . .’ he begins in an anodyne voice, following this up with a series of terms that no human being with less than ten years of medical training or an entirely unhealthy addiction to certain television series could ever be expected to understand.”

To me, anodyne sounds like something you’d find on a robot, but it’s not.  Anodyne means serving to alleviate pain or not likely to offend or arouse tensions.  I think either definition fits this sentence.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. December 10, 2014 6:27 am

I’ve always gone with the definition of palaver as talking unnecessarily at length; i.e., running on and on until you want to say JUST SHUT UP ALREADY! :–)

2. December 10, 2014 6:44 am

Over here a common phrase is “What a palaver!” which means what a lot of bother, fuss about nothing. Yes, my taking on anodyne is meaning bland but also we have a painkiller here called ‘anadin’ which I guess gets its name from anodyne. Nice words. 🙂

3. December 10, 2014 8:04 am

I thought that book had quite a few interesting words!

4. December 10, 2014 9:38 am

Knew palaver. I actually use it. Had heard anodyne but definitely didn’t know what it meant.

5. Beth Hoffman permalink
    December 10, 2014 10:40 am

Anodyne is new to me!

6. December 10, 2014 11:43 am

I thought the definition for palaver interesting. I always thought it meant a long discussion. I’ve seen the word used most often in historical fiction.

7. December 10, 2014 2:12 pm

I used palaver as a wondrous word many months ago – in the sense that Booketta shared. I’m happy to report that I remembered it! I’m married to a doctor, but I didn’t know anodyne… I’m going to see if he does.

8. December 10, 2014 3:49 pm

Both are new to me.

9. December 10, 2014 4:07 pm

I knew the first one 😀 But that is cos we use it in our dialect

10. December 10, 2014 4:47 pm

Your book is a great source of new words, Kathy! Both are new to me. I am finally able to do this meme today! 🙂

11. December 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Those words are definitely new to me, although I’m sure I’ve seen anodyne before. Just never knew what it meant!

12. December 10, 2014 7:45 pm

I wouldn’t guess the meaning of either of these from A Man Called Ove. So interesting!

13. December 10, 2014 8:45 pm

Two good words from a novel I really enjoyed. I wish I could say I’ve used either of them but I haven’t.

14. December 10, 2014 8:52 pm

Both were new words to me, now to figure out how to use them in the next week.