At the movies: Gone Girl

December 9, 2014

Gone Girl movie poster

By now, I’m sure most people have heard something about Gone Girl – the movie based on the book by Gillian Flynn.  It’s the twisted tale of a young married woman who goes missing.  At first her husband is somewhat relieved that’s she gone but all clues point to him so he becomes desperate to get her back.  I read the book almost two years ago and loved it but wasn’t sure it could be pulled off on the big screen.

I couldn’t have been more wrong.  I thought the movie was riveting.  Since it’s been a while since I read the book I can’t remember the small details but, from what I remember, the movie followed the book pretty closely.  I was glad I knew what was going to happen because the movie was tense and full of foreboding.  I thought the movie was well cast and the acting was terrific – I even saw it twice in the theater.  If you enjoy thrillers, you’ll want to see Gone Girl.

1. Beth F permalink
    December 9, 2014 6:03 am

Wow! I guess I’m going to have make a better effort to see this!

2. December 9, 2014 6:13 am

The book was a five star read for me, and I was hesitant whether they would mess up the movie, but everyone says it’s really good. I so badly want to see it now!

3. December 9, 2014 6:38 am

We’re kind of waiting for it to come to cable!

4. December 9, 2014 7:59 am

I thought the film was excellent, as you say full of foreboding and menace.

5. December 9, 2014 9:30 am

I need to see this one! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

6. December 9, 2014 11:35 am

I loved it, too, Kathy…and I had read the book two years ago, but refreshed my memory just before the movie came out by re-posting my review. But there are some things that translate to the Big Screen in such awesome ways, lifting the scenes up and magnifying them, and this was one of them. I thought Rosamund Pike and Ben Affleck did a wonderful job. I was riveted to the screen throughout, and definitely want to buy the DVD.

Thanks for sharing…glad you enjoyed it too!

7. December 9, 2014 11:36 am

I loved the movie and also saw it twice in the theater. The foreboding and menace was interestingly watered-down for me by the experience of seeing my home town in it. The sight of the bridge (which they kept driving over to go to St. Louis, which is wrong, since it goes to Illinois), of the Main Street, the court house, the sound of the insects in summer…all of those were evocative and pleasant, which made the setting feel comfortable and the psycho characters even more startling.

8. sandynawrot permalink
    December 9, 2014 12:10 pm

It was amazing and SO worth seeing in the theater for the musical score (David Fincher never skimps on his scores). The buzz is that he may even be up for an Oscar. I sure hope so, because he is brilliant in any movie he makes. This is one that I will own for sure.

9. December 9, 2014 12:12 pm

I still have to read the book! It’s been on my ereader for quite a while now.

10. December 9, 2014 1:12 pm

I wasn’t a fan of the book besides liking it for the entertainment factor but I will see the movie once it hits DVD. I just felt like the book had too many ridiculous things happen for shock effect.

11. December 9, 2014 2:40 pm

The trailer is excellent–I will make a real effort to see this movie! Thank you for this review, Kathy. 🙂

12. December 9, 2014 3:23 pm

I wasn’t sure how good the movie would be, either, but I was really impressed! One of the better movie adaptations I’ve seen.

13. December 9, 2014 3:59 pm

I read a spoiler so now I am all meh :/

14. December 9, 2014 5:01 pm

Glad you enjoyed the movie Kathy. I enjoyed the book and movie too and thought the casting was great!

15. December 9, 2014 5:21 pm

I agree – this was one where they actually got the movie right!

December 9, 2014 7:12 pm

Wow! Twice? I can’t put it off any more!

17. December 9, 2014 7:24 pm

I’ve got the book on my nightstand, and haven’t seen the movie, but my sons keep telling me I’d love it.

18. December 9, 2014 8:10 pm

i LIKED THE MOVIE SO MUCH MORE THAN THE BOOK.

19. swright9 permalink
    December 9, 2014 8:42 pm

Yes. I agree the movie is good and follows the novel closely. It’s an excellent movie. I saw it opening weekend and was pleasantly surprised that it was good.

20. December 9, 2014 10:40 pm

I didn’t love the book as much as everyone else has seemed to BUT it was good in a dark, twisty way – just like the movie! Jason loved it event hough he hadn’t read the book.

21. December 9, 2014 11:34 pm

I went three times to the theater with different friends! I agree Kathy, they did an excellent job.The third time I went with my college son and he liked it so much that we had to go to a book store afterwards so he could buy the book.

22. December 10, 2014 12:27 am

Yay! I saw this movie twice in the theaters too….so good. Riveting is the perfect word to describe it.

December 10, 2014 8:05 am

I definitely want to see this and I never go to the movies. At this point, I probably should just wait for rental!

24. December 10, 2014 11:36 am

I didn’t read the book, but the movie sounds good. And I think my husband would watch it with me.

25. talesofwhimsy permalink
    December 13, 2014 7:23 am

Wow. Awesome. I so need to see this.

26. December 13, 2014 2:28 pm

I didn’t ever read this. I may still. Glad you enjoyed the film so much!

27. December 15, 2014 9:21 am

Wow, you saw it twice in the theater? It must be well done then!

28. December 17, 2014 7:14 pm

I was going to skip it because I thought it could never be as good as the book – but I’ll put it on my list! Thanks!! 🙂 -beth

29. December 21, 2014 5:10 pm

I was surprised by how much I liked this movie. The book was written so that it was almost epistolary and first-person narrated, and yet the movie did so well to translate that book to screen.