At the movies: This Is Where I Leave You

December 2, 2014
tags:

TIWILY poster

Earlier this year, I read, and loved, This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper so I was anxious to see the movie.  Since the author wrote the screenplay, I figured the movie would be pretty true to the book and I was right.  For those who don’t know, it’s the story of the dysfunctional Foxman family who are sitting shiva at the request of their recently deceased patriarch.  The family doesn’t get together all that often because there are a lot of resentments simmering below the surface and, of course, most of them come out during the course of their week long mourning.

I liked the movie version of this story but didn’t love it the way I did the book.  It felt heavier to me and left me with a sad feeling – I’m not totally sure why but maybe it’s because most of the funny scenes are shown in the trailer.  The all star cast does a terrific job so the movie is worth seeing but you might want to wait to rent it.  The DVD of This Is Where I Leave You will be released on December 16 so you won’t have to wait long to do that!

1. December 2, 2014 7:15 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this movie. I think books are usually better than the movie adaptations.

2. December 2, 2014 7:35 am

I liked the movie as much as the book, which is unusual for me.

3. December 2, 2014 7:56 am

Loved the book… can’t wait to see the movie!

4. December 2, 2014 9:15 am

I felt much the same Kathy, the book was awesome!

5. December 2, 2014 9:53 am

I almost agree with everything you said. I loved the book, too. And it really helped that the author wrote the screenplay. But I loved the movie almost as much as the book. And that’s saying something. I know that I want to read more of his books (just like I want to read more JoJo Moyes, after loving Me Before You), but there seems to be a conspiracy to keep me from getting to them. Ah, me. The obstacles us avid readers/bloggers have to face!

6. talesofwhimsy permalink
    December 2, 2014 10:53 am

Good to know. I’ve avoided the trailer so I wonder if it will seem a bit better to me.

7. December 2, 2014 11:02 am

I actually loved the movie as much, or more, than the book…and I know that most book lovers will be appalled…LOL.

But I am also a movie freak, and very visual, so seeing it on the screen enhanced my pleasure.

Thanks for sharing!

8. December 2, 2014 11:19 am

I failed to read the book in advance, but my mom and I loved this movie. I love a movie that makes me laugh and cry literally at the same time, and this one totally did it for me. Now I have to follow it up with reading the book!

December 2, 2014 2:47 pm

They seem to put all of the funny things in the trailer!

10. December 2, 2014 3:32 pm

I need to watch it

11. December 2, 2014 6:16 pm

I agree that the film is a little melancholy- the book felt that way to me too. I generally like dramedies like this though. The dvd should be perfect for those awkward holiday family gatherings!

12. December 2, 2014 10:20 pm

Kathy, thanks for your honest review. This sounds like a movie I’d enjoy, even if it is a bit heavy.

13. December 3, 2014 11:43 am

I really liked the movie, but the I didn’t read the book. You are right about the all-star cast. They were excellent, with the exception of Jane Fonda. I thought she just played Jane Fonda. I intend to see it again when it comes in dvd.

14. December 4, 2014 12:06 am

I started the book a few months ago then set it aside for some reason and now I can’t find the darn book! the trailer I saw was hilarious but I wondered if the actors could carry funny throughout. One of these days I’ll find that book, finish it then move on to the movie!

15. sandynawrot permalink
    December 4, 2014 12:23 pm

I definitely want to see it but the crappy reviews kept me from the theater. I’ll be sure to rent it, because I did love that book.

• December 4, 2014 12:27 pm

Sandy, the reviews are ridiculous. I loved the book and the movie too. The fact that the author wrote the movie screenplay made them sync up well. Ignore the reviews.

December 4, 2014 10:28 pm

I was determined to see this one in the theaters and never made it.

17. December 4, 2014 10:32 pm

I never got around to the book but enjoyed the movie (especially the awesome cast).

18. booksnyc permalink
    December 7, 2014 5:37 pm

It’s funny that you thought the movie was heavier – I actually thought Jason Bateman’s character was more likable in the movie than I recall from the book. But I did read the book years ago so it wasn’t as fresh when I saw the movie.

19. swright9 permalink
    December 9, 2014 8:48 pm

Yeah I liked the book and hope to see the movie as a rental. I’ll be interested to see what Tropper writes next. cheers.