At the movies: Boyhood

October 16, 2014
tags:

Boyhood

I’m sure by now most people have heard of Boyhood, the coming of age story that was filmed over a twelve year period.  It chronicles the fictional life of Mason from the ages of six to eighteen.  Mason’s parents are divorced and he and his sister live with their mother.  Their father has come back into their lives and makes an effort to see them.  In other words, Mason’s life is pretty ordinary.

Boyhood was written and directed by Richard Linklater.  He went out on a limb when he decided to film the story over twelve years and it worked extremely well.  The chemistry between the cast was fantastic and seeing the young actors go through awkward phases just added to the film’s charm.

This movie nails childhood and parenthood.  I saw it with Vance and think it’s a wonderful movie to share with your family.  We both thought the movie was terrific!  Keep in mind, though, that it’s rated R for a reason so it’s not for young children.  I hope to see this movie mentioned during awards season.

1. October 16, 2014 6:51 am

It does look good!

2. October 16, 2014 7:12 am

Sounds intriguing.

3. October 16, 2014 7:52 am

We missed this when it was at the local arts cinema… hope we get another chance to see it!

4. talesofwhimsy permalink
    October 16, 2014 9:43 am

I’ve been eyeing this one. It looks fantastic. SO glad you liked it.

5. October 16, 2014 10:21 am

I’ve heard so much about this one! We really want to see it as well.

6. October 16, 2014 10:37 am

We have been talking about seeing this for several months and just haven’t gotten to it. Since we only watch movies on the big screen, it might already be too late. If it gets some Oscar attention, then we might have to make an exception.

7. October 16, 2014 12:12 pm

At first I thought it was one I hadn’t heard of, but as I read you, I remember reading a little bit about this one quite a while ago. This does sound good.

8. October 16, 2014 12:40 pm

I haven’t heard of this movie before. Florida is always late to the party 😦
    I love that it was filmed over 12 years. If it ever does come to my part of the world I’d like to see it.

9. October 16, 2014 4:58 pm

I’ve seen this featured on a morning show and it looks so good to me. I love family dynamics books and movies.

October 16, 2014 6:57 pm

I have read about it…it seems as though it would be an award winner just by the way it was made!

11. October 16, 2014 7:38 pm

This looks and sounds excellent! I enjoyed your review and the trailer a lot. This is defintely on my “to see” list.

12. October 16, 2014 7:40 pm

That’s impressive that this movie was made over a 12 year period. I’m surprised that it survived that long a period. I will have to check it out.

13. October 16, 2014 8:24 pm

Not familiar with this one, but then we haven’t been to the movies in about 6 months – comfort of home and “on demand” access has gotten the best of us.

14. sandynawrot permalink
    October 17, 2014 7:31 am

According to my sister, this movie is supposed to kick ass at the Oscars this year. It was showing at one theater for awhile here, so there were restricted times and it is SO LONG! But I do intend to see it. I figure once it gets all its nominations, every theater will bring it back.

• October 17, 2014 9:59 am

I completely agree with everything you just said. I try to see every oscar-nominated best picture candidate. This will probably be one of those.

15. October 18, 2014 1:08 am

I missed this one when it was playing, but plan on catching up with it at some point! Glad you enjoyed it. It definitely sounds like a labor of love.

16. October 18, 2014 11:32 pm

oh wow! what a way to really portray growing up! I’m not familiar with this one but will keep an out for it! so glad you and Vance both loved it {and how wonderful you were able to see it together!}

17. October 20, 2014 10:00 pm

I”m really looking forward to seeing this once it gets to Netflix. Glad to know you guys loved it!

18. October 22, 2014 7:08 pm

I love the concept of this one and have enjoyed reading about he actors’ experiences whil filming over so many years. Glad it’s good.

19. October 22, 2014 10:34 pm

Yes I’d like to see it. Heard it’s great and I’m curious. Thanks for the word.

October 23, 2014 9:49 am

I have heard so much about this movie. The premise is terrific but I also like that the movie is supposed to be good!