Book versus movie: The Hundred-Foot Journey

October 9, 2014

When the Haji family immigrates from Mumbai, India to Lumière, France they open an Indian restaurant right across the street from Madame Malloy’s well known gourmet restaurant.  At first she’s miffed but when she comes to realize young Hassan has true culinary talent she takes him under her wing, starting him on the journey to becoming a well known chef.

The Book

The Hundred-Foot Journey

I really enjoyed The Hundred-Foot Journey by Richard C. Morais but I wouldn’t go so far to say that I loved it.  I do love a good immigrant story and I found the rambunctious Haji family rather fascinating but I never felt emotionally invested in them.  Morais’ writes well but I thought his journalism background came through and the book lacked sentiment.

I did find the peek into the politics and hierarchy of French restaurants fascinating and was amazed at just how hard it is to earn the prestigious Michelin stars. Foodies will appreciate the descriptions of food and food preparation.

The Movie

The Hundred-Foot Journey movieThe movie follows the basic plot of the book but several things were changed, including the Haji’s last name.  The changes made the movie lighter and a tad romantic.  The food and kitchen scenes are drool worthy.

The casting of The Hundred-Foot Journey was perfect and the acting was terrific.   Since the movie was mostly filmed in France, the scenery is gorgeous as well.

The Verdict

This is one of the rare instances where the movie surpassed the book for me.  I enjoyed them both but thought the movie made the story come to life.

weekend cookingI will be linking this up to Weekend Cooking which is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend.

I won this book from Jo-Jo Loves to Read!!!  I am an Indiebound Affliate.
  1. October 9, 2014 3:28 am

I will be looking out for this one. Immigrant family sagas fascinate me since my children emigrated and food – good food is anyway very interesting. Sounds very interesting.

2. October 9, 2014 6:20 am

We are definitely planning to see this one since Helen Mirren is one of Jim’s favorites

3. Beth F permalink
    October 9, 2014 6:31 am

I never read the book (no clue why) but I can’t wait to see the movie. Maybe I’ll just skip the book and go right for film.

4. October 9, 2014 7:50 am

I loved the movie, but have no plans to go back and read the book.

5. October 9, 2014 9:55 am

I didn’t read the book but loved the movie. A friend of mine didn’t enjoy the movie as much as he might have because it was different from the book in some key spots.
    P.S. I like your format for comparing the 2.

6. October 9, 2014 9:59 am

On my radar as it is a rare occasion when a movie surpasses the novel!
    Must agree with Russell: nifty format!
    Thanks for sharing,

7. ondbookshelf permalink
    October 9, 2014 10:00 am

I’m looking forward to this movie, and since I’ll probably see it before I have time to read the book, I’m going to skip the book. I always like to read the book before seeing the movie, and not the other way around. I’m happy to hear that the movie may be the way to go on this one.

8. October 9, 2014 10:14 am

I haven’t seen the movie version of this, but I did read the book. I felt similarly to you about the book.

9. October 9, 2014 10:42 am

Great review style for book vs film, Kathy. We’ll probably rent the movie – I haven’t read the book.

10. October 9, 2014 11:30 am

I have a copy of this book but haven’t read it yet. I’ll definitely check out the movie though when it’s on netflix! You make it sound wonderful.

11. October 9, 2014 1:13 pm

I also have decided that I want to see the movie (loved the commercials) and will probably just bypass the book. I’m not down on the book because without that story there’d be no movie. Thanks.

12. October 9, 2014 2:21 pm

I think I would definitely prefer the movie from what you’ve described. Plus, who doesn’t love looking at scenery in France 🙂 I’m definitely going to be checking out this film ASAP.

13. October 9, 2014 3:36 pm

Ohh I want to see it cos of the setting

14. October 9, 2014 9:59 pm

I love when a movie surpasses the book. It’s hard to do! I want to see this one.

15. Susan/SC permalink
    October 10, 2014 9:59 pm

Didn’t read the book but loved the movie! Such a sweet story. Not often there is romance in my age group!

16. October 10, 2014 11:03 pm

I have not read nor watched this one, but I have no problem seeing how this movie would surpass the book. Great actors, great director.

17. October 11, 2014 10:34 am

Added to my TBR list.

18. October 11, 2014 10:50 am

Every once in a while I do think that the movie is better than the book. I recently read Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand and while there isn’t a movie I think if there were one it would make a great show! I’ll definitely be checking this one out when it comes on video.

• October 11, 2014 1:17 pm

Although it’s not a movie, the TV mini-series Roots was almost as good as the book. And I’ve got the book in my top 12 all-time!

19. October 11, 2014 12:03 pm

Every time I see this movie mentioned, I think of The Bachelor or Bachelorette (can’t remember which one!)…it was featured on one of the dates in a recent season! Also – I too am fascinated with the politics of the Michelin, which I hear are absolutely out of control. Would definitely make good reading!

20. October 11, 2014 3:36 pm

The movie does sounds good! I love foodie stories 🙂

21. October 11, 2014 5:10 pm

I really want to see this movie, and since my time to read is more and more limited, I’m okay skipping the book after reading this post.

22. October 11, 2014 9:31 pm

i really like how you compared the movie to the book! great to know and in this instance I will forgo reading it and just watch the movie 🙂

23. October 11, 2014 9:44 pm

Can’t wait till the movie comes out on DVD. I’ll probably skip the book :).

24. October 12, 2014 9:45 am

I’m hoping to go watch this movie next week. I agree with you that the book lacked sentiment. It was dry but luckily it was fast paced and entertaining too.

25. swright9 permalink
    October 12, 2014 9:49 pm

This looks like a good rental. I’m already hungry

October 14, 2014 7:56 am

I actually thought the movie looked better than the book!!!

27. booksnyc permalink
    October 19, 2014 6:13 pm

I loved the previews for this movie but missed it while it was in the theatres here – will definitely try to catch it on demand or a plane soon!

28. October 25, 2014 8:43 am

I’m glad to hear you liked the movie better. I really want to see it, but I have no desire to read the book.