At the movies: Tammy

September 11, 2014
tags:

Tammy

Tammy has the bad day to end all bad days – she hits a deer on her way to work, loses her job because she’s late, and goes home to discover her husband’s having an affair with a neighbor.  She packs things up and moves to her parents’ house but decides she needs to get out of town.  Her grandmother agrees to let her take her car, but there’s a catch – she’s going with her.  The two end up taking the road trip of their lives.

I thought the trailer of Tammy was funny and I’m a fan of Melissa McCarthy and Susan Sarandon so I had high hopes for this movie.  I’m sorry to say it was just okay for me.  I thought the funniest clips from the movie were included in the trailer.  Other than those moments, it relied on tired clichês that grew old after a while.  There is a good message in the movie but I was weary of it by the time it was delivered.  There is a lot of language so this isn’t a movie for the whole family.  I recommend renting this one.

1. September 11, 2014 7:56 am

It seems to happen a lot these days that the funniest/best parts of a movie are in the trailer. I like McCarthy so will take your advice and rent this one.

September 11, 2014 8:03 am

This is why I am not a fan of comedy…like this…it’s old in two seconds. I won’t even rent this one…ick!

3. September 11, 2014 9:04 am

We bought tickets to this movie and at the point they drove through the park we got up and left and went to Into The Storm instead. I love her as an actress, but preferred her when she didn’t become so foul mouthed and making fun of her weight. She will always be Suki from Gilmore Girls to me 🙂

4. September 11, 2014 9:34 am

I’m not a huge Melissa McCarthy fan, but I really liked The Heat with Sandra Bullock. This one looked too slapsticky for me.

5. September 11, 2014 10:59 am

I actually enjoyed this one, but then I didn’t have high expectations about it….sorry you didn’t like it, Mary.

6. September 11, 2014 12:07 pm

I think McCarthy is very funny but she is sort of the same character in ever movie she does.

7. September 11, 2014 1:16 pm

I agree that the movie was just okay, but I did like the part where Susan Sarandon’s character gets drunk and says mean things about how fat she is. That’s a part of being a fat woman that you don’t usually see on the big screen, the way people feel entitled to comment.

8. September 11, 2014 2:31 pm

Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts about this movie, Kathy. I enjoyed The Heatso I might watch this film at some point.

September 11, 2014 2:45 pm

I think your opinion was a popular one. That’s basically what everyone I know said about it.

10. talesofwhimsy permalink
    September 11, 2014 3:37 pm

Oh bummer. I hate when that happens.

11. September 11, 2014 3:52 pm

I will see it 🙂

12. September 11, 2014 5:58 pm

I saw this movie (and your post reminded me I forgot to post a review on it) and thought it was really funny, but like you I didn’t like all the foul language they used. I just don’t think it’s necessary.

13. September 11, 2014 6:06 pm

I haven’t heard good things about this movie for the most part. I don’t like movies that are screwball comedies so this probably isn’t for me.

14. September 11, 2014 9:44 pm

I had heard this one wasn’t that great. Melissa McCarthy’s hilarious usually, but I’m glad I took a pass on this one.

15. September 11, 2014 11:01 pm

I like McCarthy too, but get tired of her playing the same character. I’m looking forward to the one she’s in with Bill Murray!

16. sandynawrot permalink
    September 12, 2014 6:08 am

I love McCarthy as well, and was psyched to see that the movie came out right before I was having my friend weekend up in IN. We always go see a funny movie together, and actually saw Heat one year, so this seemed perfect. Eh, well, when Rotten Tomatoes gives a movie a 7% or something like that, I just can’t do it. We saw 22 Jump Street instead, which was hilarious.

17. Beth F permalink
    September 12, 2014 9:19 am

Doesn’t really look like my kind of movie …

18. September 14, 2014 8:29 pm

that’s what I was afraid of ~ it seemed like a stretch to have that much laugh-out-loud comic situations in a full-length movie. I’ll wait on this one

19. September 15, 2014 8:25 pm

I admit I don’t have any interest in seeing this one. 😦

20. Ryan permalink
    September 20, 2014 9:02 am

I like Melissa McCarthy, but the roles she takes are staring to seem interchangeable.