At the movies: Jersey Boys

September 2, 2014
tags:

Jersey Boys poster

I’m sure most people know that Jersey Boys is the story of the rise and fall of The Four Seasons.  The members of the band came from a rough part of town in Newark, New Jersey and, despite huge success, were never able to get beyond their past.

I saw Jersey Boys on Broadway a few years ago so I was really excited when the movie version came out.  I’m sure most people won’t be surprised to hear that, for me, the movie didn’t hold the same magic as the play.  I know some of that was because it’s easier to get lost in a live production but another part is that there wasn’t enough music in the movie   I’m not sure if it’s because I already knew the story but I thought the movie dragged in places.

Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoyed the movie and think it’s well worth seeing.  The acting and singing were top notch – in fact many of the people in the movie have performed in the play.  Many people in the theater applauded at the movie’s ending.  This movie is rated R for language.

1. September 2, 2014 6:28 am

My husband and I saw the movie earlier this summer and really enjoyed it. We haven’t seen the play but will if it comes to our city. Not sure if it’s still touring.

• September 4, 2014 12:17 pm

We saw them in Cleveland in May so I think they are still making the rounds!

2. September 2, 2014 7:47 am

That’s too bad there isn’t more music in the movie!

3. talesofwhimsy permalink
    September 2, 2014 8:57 am

Thanks for your honest take. I need to try this one. Might be a fun one to try with the in laws.

4. September 2, 2014 9:13 am

I haven’t seen this yet, but I want to. I missed seeing the play – I just don’t get to the theater much now that I don’t work in the city.

5. September 2, 2014 9:29 am

I totally agree with your review. 3/4.

September 2, 2014 11:15 am

But it’s probably worth it just to hear some songs again?

7. September 2, 2014 11:16 am

I maybe want to see this, but I’m not sure if my husband’s interested.

8. September 2, 2014 12:43 pm

This shouldn’t surprise you, but my dad grew up in that same area of Newark around the same time, and he has seen the Broadway show countless times. I feel a connection to this story through him, but I agree, the movie missed the magic.

9. September 2, 2014 12:57 pm

I heard that only one of the actors was from the Broadway show. In most cases I’d expect the show to be better than the movie. I think it’s interesting that Eastwood directed the movie. Doesn’t really seem like his thing.

10. September 2, 2014 1:00 pm

I’ve seen the show in the UK and SA. Hoping to see the film in the next week or so. So hoping it will be good

11. September 2, 2014 2:12 pm

I have 3 older sisters who loved playing music so I remember this group from when I was young. Then I think they came back for a few years when I was a little older. plus, I have family who have lived in Newark for decades, so this movie interests me. If it comes near where I live, I want to see it.

12. September 2, 2014 3:16 pm

How could it not have enough music!

13. September 2, 2014 3:23 pm

I love movies like this, but haven’t seen this one yet. I agree about stage productions–they are usually way better. 🙂

14. September 2, 2014 3:31 pm

Loved the show on Broadway… too bad about the music in the movie.

15. September 2, 2014 4:54 pm

Thanks for sharing your review and the trailer. I’m going to add this to my NetFlix list. I think my husband and I will really enjoy it!

16. September 2, 2014 6:12 pm

I really want to see the broadway version myself – nothing beats those amazing productions!

17. September 2, 2014 7:58 pm

Hmmm, I’ve never heard of this story before. I love a good musical, but a live show beats a movie every time.

18. September 2, 2014 8:01 pm

I didn’t see the live version when it came to Chicago, although all my friends raved about it. It’s good to know I have a second chance to see at least one version of it!

19. sandynawrot permalink
    September 3, 2014 5:38 am

Yeah, we saw this in Chicago on stage and it was amazing! I did not see the movie, but my son did and he loved it. Even though the music isn’t officially his generation or mine, the music is so classic and well-loved. I may try to watch this on Netflix if it is available!

20. Beth F permalink
    September 3, 2014 7:07 am

I loved the Four Seasons when I was a kid! Sorry there isn’t as much music in the movie as there was in the play. I hardly ever get to see anything on stage — not many opportunities here.

September 3, 2014 9:14 am

Hmmmm… the Broadway show was so spectacular that I hesitate to see the movie!

22. September 3, 2014 11:55 am

I haven’t seen the show on Broadway & I’m not too familiar with the Four Seasons so the movie will probably be a good introduction for me. Sounds entertaining!

23. September 4, 2014 9:31 am

I haven’t been able to see the play yet but I was excited to see the movie. Even though it was good because I liked the underlying story, my husband and I agreed they could have made it better. It definitely was long and dragged in a lot of places!

24. September 4, 2014 12:16 pm

Agree with everything you said. The movie was lacking especially if you’d see the live version!

25. September 4, 2014 5:27 pm

I’ve been wanting to see Jersey Boys on Broadway since forever, but never got around to it. The movie sounds good too.

26. Jennifer permalink
    September 6, 2014 3:21 pm

I really want to go and see this! I had a student on my Habitat trip raving about the broadway production and telling me about how excited he was to go and see it in the theaters!