August 13, 2014

There were no new words in my reading last week so I had to revert to my old Word-a-Day calendar.

1. haplology – “The speech therapist reassured the child’s parents that ‘the tendency toward haplology will likely correct itself with age.'”

Haplology is a contraction of a word by omission of one or more similar sounds or syllables.  A great example is library since many people drop the first r when they pronounce it.

_____________________________________________________

2. syllabub – “On special occasions, Grandma would serve syllabub for dessert.”

Syllabub is milk or cream that is curdled with an acid beverage (as wine or cider) and often sweetened.

_____________________________________________________

3. vibrissa – “The manatee’s prehensile lips are studded with vibrissae that it uses to discriminate between food plants and to manipulate those plants.”

A vibrissa is one of the stiff hairs that are located about the nostrils in many mammals.  It’s also one of the bristly feathers near the mouth of many birds.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. August 13, 2014 5:39 am

We used to get syllabub at school dinners. It did put me off until later years when I tasted a ‘proper’ syllabub. I like the other two words which are completely new to me. It’s great to be taking part again in this meme.

2. Brona permalink
    August 13, 2014 7:00 am

I knew syllabub thanks to my reading of the Master and Commander series,, but the other two were completely new to me.

3. August 13, 2014 7:41 am

I would think the MAIN function of vibrissae is to keep people from petting the velvety part of creature’s noses that it’s so hard not to want to pet!

4. August 13, 2014 7:46 am

I imagine syllabub is an acquired taste 🙂

5. August 13, 2014 9:10 am

vibrissa – cool – I like knowing the name of those. It is much better than ‘whiskery things’

6. August 13, 2014 9:31 am

Very interesting choice of words this week! I was reading “syllabus” earlier and then realized it’s something else all together…

7. August 13, 2014 9:35 am

I didn’t know any of these – and my wife is a speech therapist!

8. August 13, 2014 9:40 am

Syllabub sounds like it should come out of a grammar book, not a cook book! And I hear a lot of haplology out here in Appalachia!

9. August 13, 2014 11:07 am

One of my mother’s favorite bedtime treats was syllabub. She was, however, the only one in the family who liked it. It’s an acquired taste.

• August 13, 2014 12:55 pm

Hi Margot,

It’s the kind of dish my nan would dish up when you were feeling poorly, on the promise that it would make you feel much better!!

Yvonne.

10. Beth Hoffman permalink
    August 13, 2014 11:17 am

I hate to admit it, but I was stumped by all three!

August 13, 2014 11:45 am

Whoa…syllabub…yuck…in Dollbaby they ate clabber…

12. August 13, 2014 11:51 am

These are all new to me so thanks for enhancing my vocabulary! Don’t think I’d fancy syllabub…

13. August 13, 2014 12:05 pm

Syllabub is a great word! I wonder if it would be served at any “old school” restaurants? Word-a-Day calendars are so handy for this meme! 🙂

14. August 13, 2014 12:53 pm

Hi Kathy,

Syllabub was a very much used word here in the UK, by those of my grandparents generation, some 40 or so years ago. You certainly don’t hear it very much these days, unless you happen to be in a fancy and extremely expensive restaurant, where it is likely to now be considered a ‘designer’ dessert!

That is the only one of your words I knew this week, although I love the sound of haplology. Why give the description of this condition a word to describe it, where it is so easy to miss out the first ‘l’ when pronouncing it!!

Thanks for hosting,

Yvonne

15. August 13, 2014 1:51 pm

I see you have an animal definition too. Your definition fits so well. I had trouble piecing together a meaning for a sawfly’s eyes and a beetle’s home.(:

16. August 13, 2014 2:38 pm

great words.

17. talesofwhimsy permalink
    August 13, 2014 3:16 pm

I love manatees and I’ve never heard of vibrissa. Shame on me.

18. August 13, 2014 4:03 pm

I just recently read a book with syllabub in it, and knew vibrissa because my husband loves to watch anything to do with nature, especially National Geographic.

Haplology was a new one for me!

19. August 13, 2014 4:10 pm

Never heard those

August 13, 2014 5:18 pm

Those are some weird words. Syllabub is the only one I knew. So fun to say.

21. August 14, 2014 10:54 am

I have to say I am surprised we did not cover haplology in my children’s speech disorders course in college.