At the movies: 22 Jump Street

August 5, 2014

22 Jump Street

Schmidt and Jenko did such a good job on their undercover assignment in a local high school, they’ve been brought back to go undercover at a local college.  They’re tasked with finding the source of a new drug infiltrating the campus.  Jenko fits in right away but it’s more of a struggle for Schmidt.  He eventually finds his place, though.  As they work on the case, the two go in different directions, making them wonder what the future of their partnership will be.

Vance and I enjoyed 21 Jump Street so we decided to see 22 Jump Street when it came out.  We both thought the movie had some funny moments but felt it lacked the spark of the first one.   To quote Vance, the movie had too many meta jokes – you had to be familiar with the series to understand them.

Channing Tatum (as Jenko) and Johan Hill (as Schmidt) have great chemistry but the movie was lackluster for me.  I thought the funniest part was the ending when they parodied possible sequels.  There is language and sexual content so this movie isn’t for the whole family.  I recommend waiting to rent this one.

1. August 5, 2014 7:39 am

I honestly don’t remember if I watched the first movie. Sounds like this is not a series where sequels make sense.

2. August 5, 2014 8:20 am

I am not a fan of Jonah Hill – I will probably skip this one!

3. August 5, 2014 9:53 am

Thanks for the review. Sounds like a definite renter.

4. August 5, 2014 12:16 pm

Kathy, I didn’t see 21 Jump Street, but I did see 22 Jump Street. I thought it was funny. Terrific review!

5. August 5, 2014 12:18 pm

I haven’t seen the first movie or this one. I am not a huge fan of comedies and so have been reluctant to do so. Maybe someday.

6. August 5, 2014 12:31 pm

Who could top Johnny Depp anyway? Loved the TV show but can’t get past the movie versions. And 22 Jump Street? Really? Creative!

7. August 5, 2014 3:57 pm

I rent more and more movies than see them in the theater. we don’t really have a babysitter…and it is so expensive for movies these days. I’ll probably wait until it’s on cable.

8. August 5, 2014 3:58 pm

I didn’t watch the tv series, and haven’t seen either movie. I’d like to rent the first movie and if I like it, watch the second one too!

9. August 5, 2014 4:26 pm

We liked the first movie but haven’t felt interested to check out the sequel. I’ll catch it on cable though. Thanks for the low-down!

10. August 5, 2014 6:19 pm

I used to like the real 21 Jump Street as a kid and I remember this first movie. It’s hard to make the second film as good as the first. This sounds good enough though.

11. August 5, 2014 8:40 pm

I don’t get out much.

12. August 5, 2014 10:06 pm

Like Jill, I’m not a Jonah Hill fan either and didn’t see the first one. I’m sure Jason will convince me to watch it eventually.

August 5, 2014 11:06 pm

It does sound as though it would be more fun at home!

14. August 6, 2014 11:05 pm

I haven’t seen the first one, but it wasn’t something that appealed to me. It’s always good to know when a movie is better for renting.

15. August 7, 2014 12:03 pm

Doesn’t sound like one I’ll bother with. Of course, I didn’t watch 21 Jump Street either.

16. talesofwhimsy permalink
    August 7, 2014 2:59 pm

I think I’m gonna try this one. I have a not so secret crush on CT.

17. August 7, 2014 3:07 pm

The first movie was a lot of fun, though I’ll probably wait on Netflix for the sequel. I luvs me some Channing. ♥ 😉

18. Jennifer permalink
    August 8, 2014 5:18 pm

I will end up waiting to rent this one but I do want to see it. I really enjoyed the first one but I find that really enjoyable movies that end up with forced sequels are never as enjoyable.

19. August 11, 2014 10:23 pm

I’ve never seen anything other than the original tv show with Johnny Depp…you know, before his pirate days.

August 13, 2014 10:43 pm

We rented the last one and I didn’t love it so I might just pass on this one!