At the movies: The Fault in Our Stars

July 25, 2014
tags: ,

The Fault in Our Stars movie

One of my favorite books of 2013 was The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.  It’s the story of Hazel and Augustus, a couple of teens with cancer who choose to focus on living rather than dying.  They’re brave and face life with a sense of humor and find a way to love amid all their suffering.

When I heard they were making a movie from such a wonderful book, I’ll admit that I was somewhat apprehensive, especially after I saw the casting.  The actors weren’t what I’d pictured as I read the book.  I really called that wrong, though, because Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort were terrific in this movie – they were Hazel and Gus to me before it was all over with – and they had just the right chemistry.

It’s been over a year since I read the book so I don’t remember the small details but can tell you the movie is true to the basic story.  I did notice a few issues with the medical stuff – Hazel says she’s having an MRI while she’s having a CT scan – but it didn’t affect my enjoyment of the movie at all.  I love the story and the characters, particularly Gus – I wish there was a little Gus in everyone.

The Fault in Our Stars has a little humor, a little romance, and a lot of heart.  Even though I knew what was going to happen, I sobbed throughout the movie.  Everyone needs to see this movie – in the theater or at home.  Be sure to have plenty of tissues handy when you do!

kid konnection newI will link this up to Booking Mama’s Saturday feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week, leave a comment as well as a link on her site tomorrow.

1. July 25, 2014 7:57 am

I liked the book but think I’ll wait to watch it at home – I don’t like to sob uncontrollably in public, ha. I’m glad they stayed fairly true to the book.

2. July 25, 2014 8:46 am

Holy cow, I didn’t notice that at all about the MRI – of course, I was probably busy wiping my eyes, LOL

3. July 25, 2014 9:33 am

I will see it, and cry

4. July 25, 2014 9:53 am

I really loved the movie…and I saw it within a week of finishing the book, so I was happy to see that the movie closely matched the book. Thanks for sharing.

5. July 25, 2014 10:18 am

Sounds wonderful Kathy. I enjoyed the book and will now add the movie to my Netflix account. Thanks for your review.

6. July 25, 2014 10:41 am

I sobbed, too. This film was terrific and made me want to read the book all over again. And, I’m in total agreement with you about Gus 🙂

7. July 25, 2014 11:08 am

I cried my eyes out as well. My book review of The Fault in Our Stars will be up later today. I loved the book.

8. July 25, 2014 11:26 am

An excellent book I am told and thank you for sharing your thoughts on the film.
    All the best,

9. July 25, 2014 11:36 am

As much as I liked the book, I have no desire to see the movie. Weird, huh? I did at first but I am so happy with the characters as they were created, that seeing the movie wouldn’t add much to the experience. Plus, I don’t like sad movies!

10. July 25, 2014 12:37 pm

I still haven’t read the book, but will as soon as I can get a break from tour/review books. I can’t wait to read it, and see the movie!

11. July 25, 2014 1:49 pm

You’d think they would have gotten the basic medical stuff right. LOL Ah, but that’s the movie business. I haven’t read this book or seen the movie, but this is a book and movie I’d read/watch not in public in case I cry.

12. July 25, 2014 2:18 pm

I haven’t read the book or seen the movie, but so glad you enjoyed it.

July 25, 2014 2:58 pm

I haven’t read the book or seen the movie and I am totally irritated with myself!

14. July 25, 2014 3:16 pm

I’m not a fan of weeping in public, so I’ll probably watch this one at home by myself when the boys go on a camping trip or something.

15. July 25, 2014 3:38 pm

I took my granddaughter (she’ll be 12 next week) to see this while she was visiting and we both loved it. And we both sobbed at the end (even though I knew how it would turn out). She enjoyed it so much, she wanted to read the book, so of course I bought her a beautiful hardcover edition, knowing she’ll read it more than once. I may have to get the dvd for her for Christmas, as well. Time to read more John Green!!

16. July 25, 2014 4:15 pm

I haven’t read the book yet and I’m still on the fence as to whether I will or not. I’m so glad you enjoyed the film!

17. July 25, 2014 4:40 pm

I enjoyed this one as well – SO MUCH! They did a wonderful job with the casting and I sobbed both times that I went to it.

18. July 25, 2014 6:58 pm

I also enjoyed this movie a great deal, Kathy. Excellent review! 🙂

19. July 25, 2014 8:55 pm

I’d have to watch at home so I could sob in private!

20. July 26, 2014 3:17 am

I can’t stand medical errors – and mistaking a CT for a MRI is a big one! That is enough to make me miss this one. I will read the book one day though.

21. Beth F permalink
    July 26, 2014 6:56 am

I haven’t seen it yet! We usually wait until we can watch at home — especially when crying is involved.

22. Tea Time with Marce permalink
    July 26, 2014 8:09 am

I reconsidered when I saw the cast, thanks for pointing out that it worked. I cried while reading so I can imagine the movie.

23. July 26, 2014 9:02 pm

I don’t know if I can really watch this movie. I cried through a good chunk of the book. I’ll probably wait till I can rent it. Glad that you thought it was great!

24. July 27, 2014 1:40 pm

I’m so bummed that I failed to see this when it was at the movie theater, but it’s probably better in the long run. If a movie’s going to make me cry, the better to do it at home where I feel like I can let it all out. Glad to hear it lives up to the book!

25. July 27, 2014 2:26 pm

So glad you loved the movie! I really liked seeing it in theaters opening night- the whole audience was sobbing together. But, I need to see it at home at some point to really take in all the details. And yes, Gus is wonderful.

26. July 27, 2014 7:35 pm

I loved this book, but I can’t bring myself to go see the movie. I need to rent and watch at home — I am going to cry so much.

27. July 28, 2014 1:10 am

Have been wondering about the movie. Will probably wait to watch at home so I don’t ugly cry in the theater. 🙂

July 28, 2014 7:33 am

I’ma afraid to watch this one in public. Booking Daughter read it while we are at the beach but she hasn’t asked to go to the movie yet.

29. July 28, 2014 10:42 am

I haven’t read the book or seen the movie, but I’m definitely interested in checking out the book first!

30. Jennifer permalink
    July 28, 2014 11:42 am

I completely agree. I loved the book and I loved the movie. I was really worried that the movie wouldn’t live up to my expectations but then I remembered hearing about how involved John Green was in the whole production of the project so how could it not perfectly capture what he saw and felt when writing the thing? And I’m pretty sure the entire theater was in tears throughout the movie. I know I was!

31. July 28, 2014 12:30 pm

I cried throughout the entire movie, Kathy. I thought the movie was well down and captured the essence of the book.

32. sandynawrot permalink
    July 29, 2014 10:09 am

Can you believe ME, the movie goer, has not seen this? I had assumed I’d see it with Emma but she went without me, and then other things come out and the chance passed me by. I will watch it eventually, maybe in the privacy of my own home where only my family can make fun of me.

33. swright9 permalink
    July 29, 2014 3:56 pm

So glad to read your positive review! I haven’t seen it yet so I definitely need to. But I probably can’t drag my Hub to it. I liked the book.

34. July 29, 2014 5:58 pm

Can’t wait. In fact, I think I will put this on my to-do for when class is done. That will be SO cathartic. btw, look up this: how long from your town to Greensboro NC?

35. July 29, 2014 8:39 pm

It’s the sobbing that has me holding off on this one!

36. August 2, 2014 11:07 pm

i’m so glad this surpassed your expectations! I’m embarrassed to say I’m probably the last one to read the book! I’ll get there one day 😉

37. August 7, 2014 3:48 pm

I agree – the movie was a great adaptation of the book.

38. August 9, 2014 12:26 am

My daughter said watching the movie was like reading the book all over again, and I agree. I was so glad I brought a handful of tissues with me!