July 23, 2014

My first two words came from Tell the Wolves I’m Home by Carol Rifka Brunt.

1. plectrum – “Those picks — “plectrums,” Finn told me to call them if I wanted to sound like I knew what I was talking about.”

This word was explained in the context but I looked it up to see if it had a broader meaning.  It doesn’t – plectrum means pick – but I did learn that the plural of plectrum is plectra or plectrums.

_____________________________________________________

2. busk – “So I’d busk in tube stations sometimes, and . . . and there was this one night . . .”

Busk means to play music or perform in a public place, usually while soliciting money.

_____________________________________________________

My third word comes from Dogear Diary’s review of The Curious Garden.

3. hellstrip – “Before long there are rooftop and hellstrip gardens all over the place; topiary animals, treehouses and twining ivy climbing up walls”

According to urban dictionary, a hell strip is the strip of dirt between the sidewalk and the street.  We have a hell strip and I didn’t even know it.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. Beth Hoffman permalink
    July 23, 2014 9:48 am

I guess I need to wear a dunce cap today, all those words left me stumped!

July 23, 2014 9:49 am

These are so funny…my parents always called the bottom part of our driveway nearest to the street…the devilstrip….I wonder if there is a connection?

3. July 23, 2014 11:01 am

Knew busk but wouldn’t have remembered what it was without seeing definition. It was one of those “Oh, yeah.”

4. July 23, 2014 12:06 pm

Oh, I had to laugh at hellstrip. I had one and the gardener in me couldn’t take it any more – so I landscaped it with plants! My small act of guerrilla gardening in the public right-of-way.

5. July 23, 2014 1:09 pm

They use “buskers” in Europe all the time. I love all the names for the strip of dirt between the sidewalk and the street – there must be a zillion of them! :–)

6. July 23, 2014 3:32 pm

Interesting words, busk and hellstrip.

7. July 23, 2014 5:07 pm

I did not know those

8. July 23, 2014 5:15 pm

Wonderful words–hellstrip is my fave this week! 🙂

9. July 24, 2014 5:00 pm

Hi Kathy,

The first couple of words are in everyday use, here in the UK, but I had to say that ‘Hellstrip’ had me well and truly baffled!

In most parts of the UK, the pavement (sidewalk) outside ones house, leads straight to the kerbside and onto the road. In some more exclusive areas, there might well be a strip of land separating the pavement from the kerb, however this will generally be a grass strip which it is the responsiblity of the council to mow and maintain, or it may be planted with trees which require little maintenance. Services to properties will either be located in this strip or the pavement, or in the case of properties such as my own, the first metre of my front garden houses the services and I have to grant access to the utility companies, as and when they require it!

I love the idea of your hellstrip, although I can’t imagine many people over here maintaining it in such spectacular style as some of the illustrations on Google!

Great words, thanks for sharing,

Yvonne.

10. July 24, 2014 8:39 pm

They’re new to me! I’ve never thought about planting a garden on a hellstrip. We have an ash tree on ours.