July 16, 2014

This week’s words are from Season to Taste by Natalie Young.

1. jotter – “It wasn’t at all warm; there was an icy wind coming in from somewhere, but Lizzie felt good to be out in the world, and she took her jotter out of her basket and looked through her list.”

I suspected a jotter was a pen and was surprised to discover it’s a small notebook for rough notes.

_____________________________________________________

2. hob – “We’ll assume you’re starting from scratch, and the room has nothing in it but oven with hob, fridge, freezer, cupboards, work surfaces, sink.”

Hob has several meaning but the one used here is the chiefly British one that means a cooktop.

_____________________________________________________

3. catkin – “Alder trees with skinny catkins.”

I was scratching my head after I read the definition of catkin – a spicate inflorescence (as of the willow, birch, or oak) bearing scaly bracts and unisexual usually apetalous flowers – so I searched for an image.

catkins

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. July 16, 2014 7:20 am

Yes, I guess they are all British words particularly Jotter and hob. I love catkins very photogenic.

2. July 16, 2014 8:20 am

I have a jotter – I keep it around for writing ideas. That sounds so much more interesting than “notebook” – glad I have this new word to use. Thanks Kathy.

3. July 16, 2014 8:49 am

I would have guessed a jotter was a pen, too!

4. July 16, 2014 8:50 am

I’ve seen catkins on trees before, but never knew what they were called. Also I’d read the word many times, but never knew what it looked like. Glad to have the two match up finally!

5. Beth Hoffman permalink
    July 16, 2014 9:01 am

Catkin is new to me and I’m really glad you shared a photo. Thanks, Kathy!

6. July 16, 2014 10:52 am

I always pictured catkin as a small cattail. Sort of, but not really. I like the word jotter too. Much more fun that notebook. Thanks for the new words today.

7. July 16, 2014 10:58 am

I remember being confused by hob the first time I was in England.
    (In related confusion: my mother-in-law calls the burners on the stove “eyes”. The first time she told me “The eye is hot.” I was BEWILDERED. Apparently it’s a West Virginia thing??)

8. July 16, 2014 2:32 pm

Personally, I agree that there should be a jottER and a jottEE and the jottER would be the pen!

9. July 16, 2014 3:52 pm

Yes, you would think that jotter was a pen.

10. July 16, 2014 4:21 pm

Three good finds today, Kathy. I’m glad you showed us the picture for catkins. I’ve seen them before but didn’t know their name.

11. July 16, 2014 5:47 pm

Hi Kathy,

This is one of those rare occasions when it is definitely good to be British, as I know all of your words this week!

This sounds like a great book, I was totally surprised by the ‘dark’ and worrying synopsis.

I am also a little nonplussed by the very mixed ratings and reviews the book has received, although they wouldn’t influence my decision to read the book in any way.

Thanks for sharing, I am off to jot down the book’s details on my TBR list!!

Yvonne

12. July 16, 2014 7:14 pm

I’d have thought a jotter was a pen too! All three were new to me.

July 16, 2014 9:17 pm

That is quite a word assortment! The last one almost looks like cat tails? Cat’ o nine tails?

14. July 17, 2014 10:29 am

I’m gald you posted that image. Now I know what to call those things dangling from the willows.

July 22, 2014 7:57 pm