At the movies: Nebraska

June 19, 2014

Nebraska

I’ve been wanting to see Nebraska ever since it was nominated for an Academy Award.  I didn’t make it to the theater to see it so Vance and I watched it at home one evening.  I have to say, it doesn’t disappoint!

Old and addled Woody Grant gets a letter from a sweepstakes company that makes him think he’s won a million dollars.  He doesn’t trust the mail so he wants to present the letter in person to claim his prize.  When he can’t find a ride, he decides to walk – from Montana to Nebraska.  After his son realizes reasoning won’t work with Woody, he decides to drive him to Nebraska.  It turns out to be the trip of a lifetime.

I loved everything about Nebraska – I thought the storyline and the acting were both terrific!  The movie is filmed in black and white and, at first, it felt gimmicky, but, after a while, it felt right.

Nebraska does a wonderful job of exploring family relationships and life in a small town with humor and wit.  It also shows how difficult it can be to deal with someone suffering from dementia.  There were plenty of laugh out loud moments in the movie – June Squibb as Kate is hilarious – but the overall tone is sad.  It’s so well done, though, that it stays in your mind and gives you a lot to think about.  You won’t want to miss this movie!

1. June 19, 2014 4:18 am

This is another movie I haven’t seen advertised. I think I’d like it and will try to find it through Redbox.

2. June 19, 2014 5:52 am

I also liked the movie a lot and it evoked a lot of memories of my own visit to that part of the country: http://silverseason.wordpress.com/2014/01/01/to-kansas-by-way-of-nebraska/.

The movie was excellent in its portrayal of the old people who stay on in those little country towns and how they look at life.

3. sandynawrot permalink
    June 19, 2014 6:07 am

My son and I saw this in the theater, and we loved it. On the surface it is hilarious, but the undertone is sad. We both agreed that it totally reminded us of where I grew up in Indiana. Family and the people who live in these small towns are something else!

4. June 19, 2014 6:30 am

I loved this one too; Bruce Dern gave his best performance yet, and Will Forte was such a surprise. I think many people can relate to the family dynamics in Nebraska.

5. June 19, 2014 7:34 am

I wanted to go see Nebraska in the theatre, too, but didn’t make it! Thanks for the reminder that I need to watch it! I’ll put a hold on it at the library.

June 19, 2014 8:34 am

Hmmm…it sounds genuinely good!

7. June 19, 2014 9:21 am

I did like it, but didn’t love it. You definitely liked it more than I did. Still, Bruce Dern’s performance was top-notch, and I was hoping (against hope) that June Squibb would win best supporting actress. She was terrific.

8. Beth Hoffman permalink
    June 19, 2014 9:56 am

I can’t wait to see this movie and am glad it’s available on DVD. I had hoped to see it at the theater but was too busy. The video you shared made me laugh!

9. June 19, 2014 10:15 am

Thanks for your great review. I am going to add this to my Netflix list!

10. June 19, 2014 10:28 am

I still need to see this one – it looks fantastic! I’m glad you enjoyed it 🙂

11. June 19, 2014 10:28 am

I haven’t seen this one yet, but would like to someday. I remember once my grandmother received a letter from a sweepstakes company in the mail and thought she’d won. She started writing $1000 checks to everyone under the sun. She hadn’t actually won anything though, and fortunately all but one charity or person she sent money to cancelled or sent her check back. The National Wildlife Federation was the only group that refused even after it was explained she had dementia. It was also the big clue to the family that my grandmother’s condition was to the point she needed help controlling her finances.

12. June 19, 2014 11:01 am

I loved this one, too, Kathy. My son had recommended it, and I take his recommendations seriously since he works in the movie business (production). But, like you, I didn’t get to the theater. It was actually more enjoyable at home…I could laugh or cry as much as I wanted…and pause it if needed.

I was very impressed with Bruce Dern and June Squibb…great character actors!

Thanks for sharing.

13. June 19, 2014 12:54 pm

I have not even heard of this one but I like the sound of it!

14. June 19, 2014 2:58 pm

I loved this movie, it was very well done.

15. June 19, 2014 4:50 pm

I think I’d really enjoy this movie as well. The trailer and your review are wonderful.

16. June 19, 2014 5:11 pm

I am not sure if this one is for me

17. June 19, 2014 8:30 pm

I haven’t heard of this movie, but I’m curious about it now.

18. June 19, 2014 8:33 pm

I loved this movie, but my husband (older than me) didn’t like it. Think it made him uncomfortable:(

19. June 19, 2014 8:33 pm

Awww I really loved this movie too. Glad you checked it out!

20. June 19, 2014 10:22 pm

The clip they showed of this at the Academy Awards had everyone dying laughing. It was so funny that I wouldn’t expect a sad undertone. That definitely would give it a whole new dimension.

21. June 19, 2014 10:28 pm

We rented this one as well and thought it was quite good. I do have to say, though, that not all of Nebraska is like the towns portrayed in this film. I live in Lincoln and it’s much more vibrant and cosmopolitan than the small towns with one traffic light. 🙂

22. June 20, 2014 12:57 am

This is one of those movies that I already know I’ll live, if I ever take the time to watch it.

23. June 20, 2014 10:59 pm

I wanted to see this so bad after I saw so much about it at Oscar time. Thanks for reminding me – off to put it on hold!

24. Beth F permalink
    June 21, 2014 6:22 am

I had totally forgotten about this. I am putting it on our watch list right now. Sounds fabulous.

June 24, 2014 3:12 pm

I saw some clips from this one and I thought the acting looking terrific!

26. swright9 permalink
    June 25, 2014 11:37 pm

My husband and I liked this movie. It’s under the radar but good!