At the movies: Dallas Buyers Club

April 29, 2014
tags:

Dallas Buyers Club

I didn’t make it to the theater to see Dallas Buyers Club so Vance and I recently watched his DVD.  The movie is the story of Ron Woodroof, a small time hustler who was diagnosed with AIDS in 1985.  Woodroof wasn’t pleased with the medical treatment he was getting and researched other options available.  He discovered there really weren’t other options in the US, but just across the border in Mexico there were.  It was illegal to bring the drugs back to the US and quite expensive as well.  Woodroof’s solution was to form a “buyers club” – he would bring the drugs into the US and give them to members who paid a fee to belong to the club.

For the most part, I enjoyed Dallas Buyers Club.  The acting in the movie, particularly by Jared Leto and Matthew McConaughey is outstanding.  I couldn’t take my eyes off Leto when he was on the screen.  I found the plot interesting – apparently there were buyers clubs like this in lots of places – but I thought it was slow at times.  I’m not sure there’s anything they could have done to make it more compelling, though, since it’s based on a true story.

Dallas Buyers Club is a movie you’ll want to see and, since it’s out on DVD now, you can watch it in the comfort of your home.

April 29, 2014 7:55 am

This is one movie that I really do want to see. We’ll have to catch it on DVD.

2. April 29, 2014 8:23 am

I watched it right after the awards. I had not even heard of it until then! I was impressed with the actors as well…. what amazing roles they both played!

3. April 29, 2014 8:25 am

I really loved this movie and refuse to give the story away when asked about it. I make a plan every year to view all the Oscar nominated movie for Best Picture. Great post!

4. April 29, 2014 8:29 am

I loved this movie and refuse to give the story away to anyone that ask about it. Every year when the Oscar nomination for Best Picture are announced – I make it a point to watch all of the movies. This is a great post!

5. talesofwhimsy permalink
    April 29, 2014 8:33 am

I’ve been debating this one. I’m intrigued to see Matthew’s metamorphosis.

6. April 29, 2014 9:34 am

I totally agree. It was a good, not great, movie. The acting is terrific, but I don’t think it was a Best Picture nominee. I would rather have seen Saving Mrs. Banks in there.

7. April 29, 2014 12:00 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I saw this as soon as it was available on Netflix (right after the Academy Awards.) I enjoyed Jared Leto and Matthew McConaughey as well. They really made the movie. I enjoyed viewing the trailer you included in your post.

8. Beth Hoffman permalink
    April 29, 2014 12:03 pm

I’ve never heard of this one, which goes to prove that I’m really out of the loop when it comes to movies!

9. April 29, 2014 12:29 pm

I’m in two minds about this one. I will probably wait for it to be on the TV, which happens pretty quickly these days.

10. April 29, 2014 12:41 pm

Yes. Totally looking forward to finally seeing this one.

11. April 29, 2014 1:56 pm

I missed this when it was in the theaters, but it is one I really hope to watch one day. I am glad you liked it overall, Kathy.

12. April 29, 2014 2:46 pm

Saw this one in the movies, great acting.

13. April 29, 2014 2:58 pm

This one is on my list because I want to see why the actors won the academy awards this year.

14. April 29, 2014 3:22 pm

We watched it when it came out on DVD, too. I don’t usually care for Matthew McConaughey, but I think he did an amazing job in this film. Kind of reminded me of Sean Penn’s role in Milk. And Jared Leto was fantastic! I kept thinking he was a female actor! Definitely worthwhile and thought-provoking.

15. April 29, 2014 3:31 pm

Good actors and it was good to watch

April 29, 2014 6:58 pm

Hmmm…I am not sure about this one…but it looks good!

17. April 29, 2014 9:03 pm

Not sure this one is for me, but I’ll be honest that I didn’t even know what it was about until reading your review!

18. April 29, 2014 9:38 pm

I got teary-eyed watching the trailer. I want to see this one!

19. April 29, 2014 11:44 pm

I can’t wait to see this one! So glad you liked it.

20. Beth F permalink
    April 30, 2014 7:07 am

I kind of forgot about this one. Am adding it to my streaming list. Thanks.

21. April 30, 2014 11:33 am

I haven’t given any movies any attention lately, but I MUST see this.

22. April 30, 2014 11:42 am

I agree that Jared Leto was amazing. The scene with his father was gut-wrenching.

23. April 30, 2014 8:17 pm

For me, the acting is what made it so compelling so I never even noticed when it was slow 🙂

24. sandynawrot permalink
    May 1, 2014 6:55 am

I agree, the movie/screenplay was OK. It had its faults. But the acting in it was just STUNNING, and that made up for a lot. I saw every movie that had Oscar nominations, and in my mind, it would have been a crime if these two did not win. And there was some pretty stiff competition out there.

25. May 1, 2014 10:35 am

I still haven’t seen this one but really want to. On Netflix?

26. May 1, 2014 5:11 pm

Agreed the acting makes this film standout. Jared Leto was amazing! Glad you gave this one a shot.

27. May 1, 2014 6:49 pm

I really want to see this movie! I couldn’t believe that was Matthew McConaughey when I first saw it advertised. I think he looks much better with the weight on!

28. May 2, 2014 8:52 pm

Part of me wants to see this move, but another part is avoiding it. And this will sound like whining, but I’m a little tired of straight actors winning awards by playing gay.

29. May 8, 2014 4:53 pm

McConaughey lost SO much weight for this one – I wish he’d hurry up and put it back on. . .I think he looks much healthier and better with a little meat on his bones 😉