At the movies: Winter’s Tale

April 8, 2014

Winter's Tale

It’s been a few weeks since I saw Winter’s Tale and I didn’t completely understand it when I did so I’m going to rely on the official synopsis for the movie’s description:

Set in a mythic New York City and spanning more than a century, “Winter’s Tale” is about miracles, crossed destinies, and the age-old battle between good and evil.  The film marks the directorial debut of Academy Award®-winning screenwriter Akiva Goldsman (“A Beautiful Mind”), and stars Colin Farrell (“Saving Mr. Banks”), Jessica Brown Findlay (TV’s “Downton Abbey”), and Academy Award® winner Russell Crowe (“Gladiator”).

Peter Lake (Farrell) is a master thief, who never expected to have his own heart stolen by the beautiful Beverly Penn (Brown Findlay).  But their love is star-crossed: she burns with a deadly form of consumption, and Peter has been marked for a much more violent death by his one-time mentor, the demonic Pearly Soames (Crowe).  Peter desperately tries to save his one true love, across time, against the forces of darkness, even as Pearly does everything in his power to take him down—winner take all and loser be damned. What Peter needs is a miracle, but only time will tell if he can find one.

I saw the movie with a friend and neither one of us cared for it.  As a matter of fact, we found it confusing and didn’t really understand it.  The movie had beautiful visuals at times and most of the acting was good but the storyline was disjointed and overcomplicated.  At one point I thought of suggesting we leave, but I kept hoping something would happen and the plot would become clear.  It never happened for either of us.  I texted with Sandy, who’s read the book, afterward and she was able to explain a little bit of it but I still don’t recommend it.  This movie was a miss for me.

1. April 8, 2014 5:36 am

Ouch. This doesn’t sound good at all. And that haircut, how awful is that. How did you sit through it?

2. sandynawrot permalink
    April 8, 2014 6:39 am

I love Colin Farrell and didn’t that trailer pull you in? Man, what a bait and switch. I disliked the book so much I couldn’t even bring myself to see the movie. I guess maybe if it comes on HBO or Netflix streaming I might watch it. That was a month of my life I’ll never get back.

April 8, 2014 7:29 am

I’m so sorry that you were disappointed…

4. April 8, 2014 7:43 am

That’s too bad, I like Colin Farrell.

5. Beth Hoffman permalink
    April 8, 2014 8:51 am

It’s pretty bad when a movie leaves us mystified as to what the heck it was about. Guaranteed I’ll pass on this one.

6. April 8, 2014 10:01 am

I remember seeing that trailer and not understanding what the movie was about, which was the reason I didn’t go see it. It just didn’t seem to make any sense to me. What a bummer it turned out to be a flop for you.

7. April 8, 2014 11:01 am

The preview looked really amazing but I heard some things about how the preview was a bit misleading so I didn’t pursue it any further. I’ve heard strange things about the book, too. Sorry it didn’t work for you either!

8. April 8, 2014 11:09 am

I enjoyed it because I didn’t read the book first and wasn’t all that enthralled with the book anyway. My review of it (Feb. 25) focused on the comedy–especially Will Smith as Lucifer! I still haven’t stopped laughing about that.
    Seriously, though, the movie seems to have disappointed fans of the book and puzzled people who haven’t read the book. Lose-lose.

9. April 8, 2014 1:37 pm

oh no, I love any movie with Russell Crowe, but this one, oh dear, I could be not watching it.

10. April 8, 2014 1:46 pm

You know, I wanted to see this one strictly because the premise sounded interesting and the female lead is Lady Sibyl on Downton Abbey, but it just dropped out of my interests at some point. I’ll wait until it gets to Hulu or Netflix!

11. April 8, 2014 2:24 pm

Kathy, thanks for sharing your thoughts–and confusion–about this movie. Sorry it was a disappointing.

12. April 8, 2014 3:08 pm

Oh no :/ It sounded so good

13. April 8, 2014 3:15 pm

Well that’s disappointing for both the meh review of the book from Sandy and your thoughts on the movie. After seeing the trailer multiple times I was looking forward to watching it. Suppose it’ll now just have to wait til it hits Netflix. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 🙂

14. April 8, 2014 3:18 pm

The reviews I’ve read of this movie have been a bit “meh” on it. I’ll pass. Maybe the book is better.

15. talesofwhimsy permalink
    April 8, 2014 3:50 pm

Yah I’m thinking I’m going to pass too.

April 8, 2014 5:01 pm

Hmmm…I was wondering about this one!

17. April 8, 2014 5:33 pm

I really wondered how they were going to translate this into film. I read a third of the book, and the disjointed storylines were too much for me. I can imagine it would be even more confusing in a film.

18. April 8, 2014 8:37 pm

Thank you for your thoughts. i don’t get to the movies much, and I suspect my “chick flick” sisters wouldn’t want to see this either. My boys on the other hand, like “strange”.

19. April 8, 2014 9:30 pm

Sounds like the movie matched the book- or at least my experience of it. I found it disjoined and overly complicated and am pretty sure I didn’t even finish it. Will have to look back at my blog post to remind myself- it was so forgettably a whirl.

20. April 8, 2014 9:33 pm

It’s possible that my wine with dinner before we saw this one adided in my enjoyment of the film 🙂

21. April 8, 2014 10:06 pm

Oh no. I was hoping this would be a great fantasy love story. I have seen the book around and even thought of picking it up when I saw the movie trailer. Guess I will pass. Thanks for letting us know.

22. trish422 permalink
    April 8, 2014 10:24 pm

I like the idea of the awesome cinematography but I have to admit that this one didn’t make my go-to-see list because love stories throughout time just plain old turn me off.

23. April 9, 2014 8:12 am

I wasn’t overly interested in this movie given the trailers I saw. Thanks for the warning

24. April 9, 2014 8:37 am

I hate movies I can’t understand! Thanks for the heads up!

25. April 9, 2014 11:23 am

For some reason this trailer really reminded me of Far and Away. The book has been recommended to me several times, so I am also really disappointed to hear that the movie doesn’t apparently work. I will wait for Netflix too.

26. April 9, 2014 12:10 pm

I’m so glad you warned me off this one. I’ll save my time and money for something else.

27. April 9, 2014 6:17 pm

I would have liked to watch this one – it has everything I like in a movie/book. But if it’s too confusing, then not my kind. I don’t pay THAT much attention to movie dialogues.

28. April 9, 2014 8:49 pm

That’s too bad. I wondered about this one myself, especially because Russel Crowe is in it, but the trailer makes it seem like there is just too much going on. Maybe the book is better.

29. April 9, 2014 10:12 pm

I had a bad feeling about this movie from the trailer. Too bad – I like Colin Farrell! At least the poster is pretty.

30. swright9 permalink
    April 10, 2014 4:57 pm

Oh too bad. I think I’ll steer clear.

31. April 11, 2014 10:31 pm

i will definitely steer clear of this one then! I hate confusing overcomplicated story lines ~ I hate it didn’t work for you. stinks to pay for that $10+ ticket and then not enjoy the movie!