February 19, 2014

I didn’t find any words in books last week but I still found a few new words.  My first word comes from Suko’s Notebook’s review of Freedom Fries and Café Crème by Jocelyne Rapinac.

1. orthorexic – “Like the author, I believe that dining should be a healthy (but not orthorexic) experience which provides pleasure”

Orthorexia is a disorder characterized by a morbid obsession with eating healthy foods only.  I don’t suffer from that!

_____________________________________________________

Widdershins

My second word comes from a beer label.  Carl and Vance had a tasting that featured Widdershins by Left Hand Brewing.  I thought widdershins was a made up word and mentioned to a customer that I had no idea how they came up with that name so he proceeded to define it for me.  I came home and looked it up to be sure.

2. widdershins

Widdershins means in a left-handed, wrong or contrary direction: counterclockwise.  The name makes perfect sense to me now!

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. February 19, 2014 4:30 am

I knew orthorexia; widdershins I’ve seen many times, but I never knew what it meant, so thanks for solving that mystery for me.

2. Brona permalink
    February 19, 2014 5:42 am

My mum uses widdershins all the time 🙂 but othorexia was new to me – I am trying to be more othorexic in my eating habits!!!

3. February 19, 2014 7:24 am

I have always liked widdershins. It’s a fun word. Othorexic is new to me and sounds vaguely unhealthy, strangely enough.

4. February 19, 2014 7:46 am

I wonder if there is a word for someone who suffers from Orthorexia but has no intention of following through on it!

5. February 19, 2014 7:49 am

Widdershins is a great word… and totally new to me. I’m going to try and use it this week 🙂

6. February 19, 2014 9:25 am

How cool that one of your customer actually knew widdershins! Smart clientele!

7. February 19, 2014 9:55 am

I not only don’t know these 2 words, but I’m also offended that us left-handers are called a “wrong or contrary direction” – even though it’s true.

8. February 19, 2014 9:56 am

I’ve just joined up for the first time 🙂 I think I’ve seen widdershins posted on this meme before but it has a nice sound.

9. February 19, 2014 9:57 am

Both your words were new to me. I wonder is I can find Widdershins in my area? I haven’t noticed it before, but will look. I am going to try to add orthorexia to my vocabulary in the coming weeks.

10. February 19, 2014 10:14 am

I just clicked on your link to Left Hand Brewing and was thrilled to find out that they are located in Longmont CO. Colorado is a neighboring state to me and my daughter and family live in Ft. Collins CO. They should be able to locate some Widdershins for me to try.!

11. February 19, 2014 10:17 am

I had to laugh when I saw your first word because when I read that post on Susan’s blog I looked up that word too. Good picks this week!

12. February 19, 2014 10:39 am

I could stand to be a little more orthorexic. I have a terrible sweet tooth!!

13. Beth Hoffman permalink
    February 19, 2014 10:50 am

Widdershins always makes me laugh. Great words, Kathy!

February 19, 2014 11:52 am

Seriously? If I had a bot Tonkinese cat I would name home Mr. Widdershins!

15. February 19, 2014 12:50 pm

Two great words this week. I really like Widdershins. I’m with Patty – that would make a great name for a pet or, maybe, a character in a story.

16. February 19, 2014 1:21 pm

Very fun words- my life feels very widdershins right now, with the weather and the school system all working together to banjax my writing plans! Thanks Kathy!

17. February 19, 2014 1:44 pm

I love the word widdershins. It comes up in Neil Gaiman’s books sometimes and in various vintage mysteries. It is also an excellent name for a beer from Left Hand!

18. February 19, 2014 3:07 pm

I wish I could say I was orthorexic! I love carbs and sweets!
    I’m left handed…should I be offended? 🙂

19. February 19, 2014 3:11 pm

I read a book about someone called Widdershins

20. talesofwhimsy permalink
    February 19, 2014 3:56 pm

widdershins? I’m in love. SO bookmarking that word.

21. February 19, 2014 4:03 pm

Widdershins is a good word, never heard of it before.

22. joyweesemoll permalink
    February 19, 2014 5:01 pm

As a recovering overeater, I’ve heard the word orthorexia as a warning to not go too far in that direction. Widdershins makes an appearance in neoPagan literature of various kinds, apparently you can make yourself up a potent potion by stirring widdershins. Both good words!

23. February 19, 2014 5:23 pm

Kathy, what a terrific surprise to see “my” word here! I discovered it in Freedom Fries and Café Crème. Cheers to the word “Widdershins”. 🙂

24. February 19, 2014 7:35 pm

I don’t have that eating issue either, and winddershins, what a cool word.

25. February 19, 2014 9:04 pm

Both interesting words! 🙂

26. February 20, 2014 8:56 am

I love both of these words! I’m going to share them with my kids.

27. February 20, 2014 5:55 pm

I know some orthorexics, and I eat healthy but don’t think the term would apply to me. Widdershins does sound like the perfect name for that beer!