At the movies: Saving Mr. Banks

February 6, 2014

Saving Mr. Banks

Walt Disney’s daughters loved Mary Poppins and begged their father to make a movie based on the book.  He tells them he will before he knows what he’s up against.  The author, P. L. Travers, is quite attached to her character and doesn’t intend to let anyone trivialize her.  When her fortunes are falling, Travers reluctantly agrees to visit Disney’s studios in California.  While she’s there, everyone at the studio does everything they can to convince her that they’ll treat her characters with respect.

The first movie I remember seeing in the theater was Mary Poppins and it was a magical moment for me.  I have vivid memories of going to the movie and singing the songs from it for years afterward, so Saving Mr. Banks was a very sentimental movie for me.  I thoroughly enjoyed the movie but did think it had a few issues with pacing.  Having said that, I thought Emma Thompson owned the role of P. L. Travers – she was outstanding.  Tom Hanks was good as Walt Disney but his role was not that large.  This movie brought back a lot of sweet memories for me so I left the theater teary-eyed and I do recommend it.

1. February 6, 2014 7:22 am

I’ve heard this was an emotional movie. Now, after seeing the trailer, I really want to see it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

2. February 6, 2014 8:45 am

I love Tom Hanks AND Emma Thompson but I just am totally not drawn to the story idea.

3. February 6, 2014 9:20 am

I’ve loved every movie I’ve seen that had Tom Hanks.in it. My all time favorite is The Money Pit…hilarious!! I want to see this movie too. .

4. February 6, 2014 9:44 am

I really loved this movie. One of my favorites of 2013. I’ve seen every one of the 9 movies up for Best Picture. I can’t believe that this wasn’t on the list. It was better than all of the movies, except for 12 Years a Slave and Philomena. Oh well. They don’t ask me for my opinion (imagine that?!)

5. February 6, 2014 9:59 am

I heard the reconciliation between the characters over the movie is fiction, which gives me pause…thinking that the real truth should have been represented about her disappointment with Disney’s portrayal of her character

6. talesofwhimsy permalink
    February 6, 2014 10:05 am

Ooooo that’s awesome. I can’t wait to see this.

7. February 6, 2014 10:16 am

Can you believe I’ve never seen Mary Poppins? When we put it on for The Girl when she was younger, I fell asleep about 5 minutes into it, but whether that was the movie or exhaustion I can’t say lol.

8. Amy @ My Friend Amy permalink
    February 6, 2014 10:18 am

Emma Thompson <333 She was SO great. I did really like this movie, though they played loose with some of the history. Despite that, it was really enjoyable.

9. February 6, 2014 11:26 am

Can’t wait to see this – thanks for the review.

10. February 6, 2014 11:28 am

My mom and I wanted to see this, but when it finally made it to our theater, they only showed it at like 9:30, which is too late for me. 🙂 I’ll try to catch it on DVD.

11. February 6, 2014 11:29 am

My mom and I wanted to see this, but when it finally made it to our theater, they were only showing it at like 9:30 which is too late for me. 🙂 I’ll try to catch it on DVD.

12. February 6, 2014 1:23 pm

I really liked this movie. I am so glad I managed to see it in theatres!

13. February 6, 2014 2:01 pm

I hadn’t seen the preview for this one. I want to see this one now.

14. February 6, 2014 2:11 pm

I would like to see this at some point. My mom really liked it as well.

15. February 6, 2014 2:55 pm

I think I must see it

16. February 6, 2014 3:08 pm

Ooh. I want to see it. I love MARY POPPINS.

February 6, 2014 6:05 pm

Oh my…that sounds wonderful!

18. February 6, 2014 6:52 pm

I want to see it!

19. Athira permalink
    February 6, 2014 7:08 pm

Sounds like a very touching movie! I had been seeing mentions of this movie but didn’t really know what the plot is about. For some reason, anything whose name starts with “Saving..” tends to get ignored by me. But this sounds wonderful!

20. February 6, 2014 9:20 pm

Kathy, I saw this movie a short while ago and thought it was excellent. It made me want to watch Mary Poppins again.

21. February 6, 2014 9:31 pm

my husband & I enjoyed this one as well Kathy. Tom Hanks can plan any part – we watched Captain Phillips yesterday – also awesome.

22. sandynawrot permalink
    February 7, 2014 6:50 am

I echo Jill’s sentiments exactly. It is weird, because everyone I know has seen and loved this movie, and they are SHOCKED that being a book and movie lover, I’ve not seen it yet. I just can’t get excited about it. At this point, I’ll probably hope for it to be streamed on Netflix.

23. Beth F permalink
    February 7, 2014 8:04 am

Oh I can’t wait to see this! But we’ll likely have to wait until it comes on HBO or streaming.

24. February 7, 2014 12:22 pm

This is one that I really want to see. I enjoyed the book when I was little and can’t wait to share it with my kids when they’re a little older. I would like to think that Travers would be pleased today to see the legacy that Mary Poppins has left.

25. February 7, 2014 1:16 pm

I’ve been wondering about this one. I too have vivid memories of Mary Poppins and it was one of the first movies I remember seeing in the theater. The Sound of Music was another. Maybe it was the soundtrack but they made an impression on me.

26. February 7, 2014 2:16 pm

I think Mary Poppins was the first movie I saw in a theater, too. Can’t wait to see this!

27. February 7, 2014 7:34 pm

Emma Thompson can do no wrong in my eyes. I’m sure I’ll see this one eventually.

28. February 8, 2014 2:00 am

I’m interested in seeing this one when it hits Netflix. I love Emma Thompson and the story seems quite interesting.

29. February 8, 2014 7:53 pm

When I was in 2nd grade, our elementary school performed Mary Poppins. I got the role of Janie Banks and I got hang out with the 6th graders who had the major roles. I thought I was so cool! And I still know all of the songs! Glad you liked the movie, can’t wait to see it.

February 9, 2014 7:14 pm

I can’t wait to see this one! I love anything Disney!

31. February 12, 2014 2:32 pm

This movie was so worth seeing in the theater, for the big views of Australia!

32. February 18, 2014 7:29 pm

I’ve been trying to figure out if I wanted to see this movie, and I think you have pushed me into the see column.