February 5, 2014

I just finished reading Saints of the Shadow Bible by Ian Rankin and I found some terrific words in it.  The book is set in Scotland so some of these words are mostly used in Britain.

1. banjax – “Reckons we banjaxed the Saunders case to keep a good snitch on the street.”

Banjax is chiefly Irish but I like it so much, I think I’ll use it.  It means damage or ruin.

_____________________________________________________

2. hot-desking – “Hot-desking was necessary and no one had yet found a kettle.”

According to wikipedia, hot-desking “is an office organization system which involves multiple workers using a single physical work station or surface during different time periods.  The “desk” in the name refers to an office desk being shared by multiple office workers on different shifts as opposed to each staff member having their own personal desk.”

_____________________________________________________

3. obsequy – “Rebus doubted a tenth as many would turn out for Billy Saunder’s obsequies.”

An obsequy is a funeral or burial rite and is usually used in plural as the author did.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. February 5, 2014 7:26 am

Hot-desking is a big thing at the company where my son’s work, but I never heard this term for it.

2. February 5, 2014 8:48 am

I used to “hot-desk” but I had never heard the term before. Thank you for sharing!

3. February 5, 2014 9:18 am

Oh my, some great words. I am so glad that I never had to hot-desk. I am on of those slightly OCD persons who absolutely is selfish about “my space”. I could not bear to share it.

• February 5, 2014 11:38 am

Hi Judy,

I’m the same! Whilst I do like to operate a ‘clear desk’ policy at the end of a working day, I do still like to know that at least the space is mine and I won’t find anyone else’s things strewn about the place.

Yvonne

4. February 5, 2014 9:44 am

Rats, I was hoping obsequy was a form of obsequious. Once again I go 0-3.

5. February 5, 2014 10:14 am

I’m making my way through the Outlander series and there are gazillions of fun Scottish words. I love that!

6. February 5, 2014 10:34 am

I love the word banjax. I will be trying that one out. Lol.

7. Beth Hoffman permalink
    February 5, 2014 10:46 am

Banjax is new to me!

8. February 5, 2014 11:06 am

These are great! All new to me. I would not have guessed the meaning of hot-desk- the kettle reference through me off. I thought that there was some way to make tea on the hot desk lol.

9. February 5, 2014 11:36 am

Hi Kathy,

The only one of your words I didn’t know this week was ‘obsequy’, although I don’t think I shall miss knowing it, nor ever particularly want to use it, as ‘funeral’ is just so much easier and says what it does on the tin!

I love Ian Rankin’s books and hope that you have also enjoyed his acerbic and down to earth style of writing.

I have just been sent a review copy from a Scottish author, where the story is set in Glasgow, which is about as Scottish as it gets. I think I shall be making full use of the Scottish dictionary which he has kindly provided and will no doubt have enough material for several WWW posts in the future!

Thanks for hosting,

Yvonne

10. February 5, 2014 12:06 pm

I’m with Lloyd- thought obsequy was related to obsequious. Darn. I love banjax and hope to use that on my kids today! “Stop using that tone with me or I will banjax your plans for your birthday.” Jaws will drop. Awesome!

11. February 5, 2014 1:29 pm

Add me to the list of those who love banjax. I’m going to use that one and make it my own.

12. February 5, 2014 3:05 pm

LOL definitely familiar with hot-desking more that I would want.

13. February 5, 2014 3:22 pm

I like all three of these words. I never heard cubicle sharing referred to as hot-desking but I think it’s an improvement over cubicle anything!

14. talesofwhimsy permalink
    February 5, 2014 3:45 pm

Hot-desking huh? Fancy. I never woulda guessed that.

15. February 5, 2014 3:50 pm

A new word for a funeral for me today, obsequy.

16. February 5, 2014 7:16 pm

All new-to-me words this week! Hot-desking is a great word! The kettle in the sentence along with the word ‘hot’ threw off my guessing ability!

17. February 5, 2014 8:31 pm

I think that this means adjunct faculty perform “hot-officing” – humm.

February 9, 2014 7:15 pm

Hot design makes sense once you told me the meaning!