January 29, 2014

Another week, a few more pages from my Word-a-Day calendar.  I actually read quite a bit last week but didn’t encounter any new words.

1. bruit – “Several names have been bruited about in legal circles in recent weeks as potential successors. . . .” —Jonathan Saltzman, The Boston Globe, April 16, 2009

Bruit is a verb and it means report or rumor – it’s usually used with about.

_____________________________________________________

2. bosky – “The deer sense our presence and fled to the bosky areas surrounding the meadow.”

Bosky means having abundant trees or shrubs.  It can also mean of or relating to a woods.

_____________________________________________________

3. yegg – “The cops grabbed him and another yegg for a Philadelphia store burglary.” —James Lardner and Thomas Reppetto, NYPD: A City and its Police

Yegg is a noun that means a safecracker; also: a robber.”

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. January 29, 2014 7:10 am

My husband has always used the word yegg. Makes me wonder about his past! :–)

2. January 29, 2014 7:55 am

I’ve run across bruit, but only in relation to a heart murmur.

3. January 29, 2014 9:07 am

I don’t believe I have encountered any of those words in the past. I like bosky especially! Thanks for sharing. (auto correct on my computer, doesn’t like it! 🙂

4. Beth Hoffman permalink
    January 29, 2014 9:37 am

Yegg is a wonderful word!

5. talesofwhimsy permalink
    January 29, 2014 9:43 am

yegg? I never woulda guessed that.

6. January 29, 2014 9:45 am

Hurray! I know one. I have actually used “yegg” in Words with Friends. I feel so empowered right now.

7. January 29, 2014 10:01 am

I have never heard of any of these words! Love learning new ones 🙂 I like bosky.

8. January 29, 2014 12:12 pm

Yay for the calendar! (Do we have the same one?) Yegg is excellent. I remember seeing that word before, but I didn’t remember the meaning.

January 29, 2014 12:25 pm

I am going to focus on the word bosky…I live in a bosky area!

10. January 29, 2014 12:53 pm

I’ve never used any of these words. Actually, I’ve never heard of them before – thanks for the inspiration. Julia of Word Nerd keeps me up-to-date with words like prosaic, a word for everyday and ordinary that perfectly describes daily life. Thanks for the post!

11. January 29, 2014 2:25 pm

I like bosky too. I like the way it sounds and the picture it evokes.

12. January 29, 2014 3:28 pm

We used to have an area around our home that would have been considered bosky.

13. January 29, 2014 3:36 pm

Never heard those before

14. January 29, 2014 4:15 pm

Great meme, I didn’t know any of those words!

15. January 29, 2014 5:09 pm

All new for me today, Kathy. Bruit threw me- I think because I was thinking of the noun “brute”- thanks for teaching me something!

16. January 29, 2014 7:58 pm

Something tells me I should have known what bosky meant, but I’ve never heard it before.

17. January 30, 2014 12:39 am

Hi Kathy,

Some great words again this week, I really need to come by a ‘word a day calendar’, they sound like fun, as well as being informative.

The only one of your words I know this week is ‘bruit’. Even though we do have quite a few deer close to where we live, I haven’t heard of ‘bosky’ before and ‘yegg’ definitely sounds like an American word and unlike anything I have ever come across over here.

Thanks for sharing and hosting and I hope that you are enjoying your current book, despite the fact that it has no new and amazing words!

Yvonne.

18. January 30, 2014 12:07 pm

I’d heard “bruited about” for years–I just didn’t know this was how you spell it.

19. January 30, 2014 4:12 pm

I had no clue what any of those words meant. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of them before.

I love WWW because it increases my vocabulary! I keep wanting to join in, but I mostly read in bed before going to sleep, and never seem to have paper/pen on my nightstand and I’m tired and don’t feel like getting up to hunt them. I need to put them there and leave them.

20. February 2, 2014 1:17 am

Those words are all new to me, too!

February 9, 2014 7:27 pm

I’ve never heard of any of these!