November 13, 2013

These are the last words I found in The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.

1. fubsy – “Instead he didn’t say a word, only gazed at me with a sort of grieved fubsiness, haloed by his work lamp, tools arrayed on the walls behind him like Masonic icons.”

Fubsy means chubby and somewhat squat.

_____________________________________________________

2. cavil – “And for all her infectious lightness of heart, I knew it was an extremely petty cavil that Kitsey never seemed particularly moved by anything.”

Cavil means to raise trivial and frivolous objection.

_____________________________________________________

3. solfege – “My auditions – – ‘ large gulp of wine – – ‘pre-college orchestra at Juilliard, my solfege teacher had told me I might get second chair but if I played really well, I might have a shot at first.”

Solfege is the application of the solfa syllables to a musical scale or to a melody.  It’s also a singing exercise using solfa syllables.  Solfa syllables are the syllables do, re, mi, fa, sol, la, ti used in singing the tones of the scale.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. November 13, 2013 4:31 am

Hi Kathy,

What some great words this week, the only one I know is ‘cavil’, as I have come across this in a few of the historical romance novels I have read.

I am not very musically inclined, so ‘solfege’ isn’t a word that I would ever really use ….

Whilst I guess that ‘fubsy’ is probably a word that would be bandied in my direction, if I were to let any of my friends and acquaintances know of its existence in the first place!! I think that I would still preferred to be called chubby though, it sounds a bit nicer somehow!

This book seems to have been quite a source of inspiration for new words and it has been receiving some excellent reviews and ratings, so I hope that you enjoyed it.

Thanks for hosting,
    Yvonne

2. November 13, 2013 7:01 am

I can’t believe how many words you have gotten out of that book!

3. November 13, 2013 7:17 am

GOLDFINCH is definitely one of those vocabulary-heavy books, but I love learning new words! I just made sure to keep my pocket dictionary at my bedside table. I missed solfege, though!

4. November 13, 2013 8:00 am

Well I hadn’t come across any of these words before, and it sounds like there have been quite a few more from this novel too! I really want to read this one soon!

5. November 13, 2013 8:32 am

Goldfinch is on my TBR list. I really love a book that has new words in it. Thanks for sharing. I do not have a post this week, but next week for sure.

November 13, 2013 9:01 am

I think if I ever had a bunny for a pet…I might just name it Fubsy!

7. November 13, 2013 9:46 am

Slightly knew cavil, but wouldn’t have been able to define it.

8. November 13, 2013 10:04 am

I’m definitely going to use fubsy today! just love the way it sounds!!!

9. November 13, 2013 10:26 am

Fubsy? Absolutely love that!

10. November 13, 2013 11:10 am

Fubsy is such a great word! I should have known sulfege, but I think I’ll remember it now. Cavil is also a good one. The Goldfinch is a wonderful source of words!

11. November 13, 2013 11:17 am

I was a music student but solfege is a word I didn’t come across. Interesting! Fubsy is such a fun descriptive word. The Goldfinch is the gift that keeps on giving 🙂

12. November 13, 2013 11:29 am

I love looking at the word ‘fubsy’. I’m still trying to picture how someone could look with a “grieved fubsiness.”

13. November 13, 2013 11:54 am

I’ve always loved the word “fubsy” and have used it in my new manuscript …. it makes me laugh.

14. November 13, 2013 12:55 pm

Goldfinish was a treasure trove for your Wondrous Words. I’d like to read the book just for the fun of finding these new words.

I just read Beth Hoffman’s comment on fusby. I can’t wait for her new book so I can go on a hunt for how she used the word. All good word fun.

15. November 13, 2013 12:58 pm

I’ve never heard of these, but I like the sound of fubsy, even though it’s not very complimentary. It’s sort of silly, so I feel like calling someone fubsy lessens the insult somewhat. 🙂

16. November 13, 2013 1:35 pm

This book has fantastic words, most of which are completely new to me. Fubsy is a great word. I think it might be difficult to use but I like it! I’m also going to put it on my list of names for cats!
    I’m surprised I haven’t come across cavil before with my legal back ground. I like the sentence it’s used in in the book, too.
    Great words today

17. November 13, 2013 4:02 pm

Fubsy is a really cute word.

18. November 13, 2013 7:11 pm

Never heard “fubsy” before, but it’s definitely what I see when I look in the mirror!

19. talesofwhimsy permalink