Kid Konnection: Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator

November 2, 2013

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, by Roald Dahl, takes off right where Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ends so this post may have some spoilers for the first book.  Willy Wonka has just given Charlie his chocolate factory so they pick up the rest of Charlie’s family and go on a grand trip in a magical glass elevator.  It’s a trip through space and, for most of Charlie’s grandparents, time and it’s a wild adventure!

I was a little old for this book when it first came out in 1972 but had such fond memories of the first book that I read it anyway.  At the time, I remember feeling the book was good but lacked the magic of it’s predecessor.  Since I had the audio, I decided to try it again and felt the same way the second time around.

I enjoyed Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator but felt Dahl went in a totally different direction with the fantasy in this story.  Instead of creating a magical world on Earth, this book takes readers to one in space.  I’m not a science fiction reader and maybe that affected my enjoyment of the book, but it was all just a little too fantastical and silly for me.  I thought it was well written and I did enjoy it but didn’t love it like I did the first book.  By the way, I think readers will enjoy this one more if they read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory first.

The audio is narrated by Douglas Hodge and I thought he did a decent job.  It’s on 3 CDs and lasts approximately 3 and a half hours.

kid konnection new

For more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week, leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

Review copy provided by Penguin Books.  I am an Indiebound Affiliate.
  1. November 2, 2013 4:13 am

You can’t beat Roald Dahl for children, there is something for every child in his books. Although this wasn’t one of my favourite Roald Dahl books it is still a great read.

2. November 2, 2013 7:04 am

Always disappointing when the sequels don’t live up to the originals!

3. November 2, 2013 11:04 am

Oooh, I’ll probably like this one if it’s scifi. I never read these as a child either – I was already past the children’s book section by the time they were published. But I’m enjoying them now!

4. November 2, 2013 12:15 pm

I loved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and so did my kids. It’s great that they now have Dahl’s books on audio!

5. November 2, 2013 12:43 pm

I remember liking this one a little less than Chocolate Factory, but I was happy that there was a sequel since I liked the first book so much. Can’t wait to revisit it with the audio.

6. November 2, 2013 1:08 pm

Leslie, I haven’t read this one but I’ve read about it. Thank you for sharing your honest thoughts. It would be difficult to live up to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

• November 2, 2013 1:09 pm

Oops. I meant Kathy! My typing fingers have a mind of their own.

November 2, 2013 1:50 pm

I read these both so long ago…I can’t remember what the Great Glass Elevator was even about…sigh!

8. November 3, 2013 10:00 am

Read it some time ago. Although silly, but still I liked this one!

9. November 3, 2013 4:38 pm

The Girl and I didn’t like how this one was so different from the first one. It’s been years since we’d tried reading it together, but I remember her losing interesting fairly quickly.

10. November 3, 2013 8:59 pm

I wouldn’t want to spoil the happiness I feel when i see the Chocolate Factory!

11. talesofwhimsy permalink
    November 4, 2013 8:34 am

I really look forward to exploring these with Baby Whimsy some day. Thanks for your honesty. I would never have imagined space would be the way he would go with this either. Thanks for the warning.

12. November 4, 2013 10:07 am

My seven year old is reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory right now and loves it. It’s the first book he’s read on his own that he’s really clicked with. I hope he likes this one too – sounds like he probably will. Thanks for the review!

November 10, 2013 9:32 am

I remember not loving this one as a kid. I think the space issues were true for me too.