Kid Konnection: Out of the Easy

September 28, 2013

Out of the Easy

Josie Moraine is the seventeen year old daughter of a New Orleans prostitute.  Josie lives on her own, though, cleaning house for a madam and working in a bookstore.  Josie’s mother is quite conniving and only comes around when she wants something.  Josie dreams of leaving New Orleans and going to college and it seems she might be on her way when a tourist is found dead.  Josie had a chance meeting with the tourist and wonders about his death.  She starts asking questions and puts herself in danger.

I’m a fan of Ruta Sepetys, so I was excited to read her second book, Out of the Easy.   Her first book, Between Shades of Gray, was very personal for me and I adored it so I went into this book with very high expectations.   I didn’t think Out of the Easy was quite as good as Between Shades of Gray, but I still thought it was outstanding.  Too be honest, though, not many books can match up to Between Shades of Gray for me.

Josie is a fantastic character – full of heart and grit.  Because of her spunk, she’s made a good life for herself, in spite of her background.  I found her endearing and I know many teens will relate to her difficult situation.  My heart ached for her and I rooted for her as I read the book

Out of the Easy is set in New Orleans in 1950 and while I felt transported the Crescent City, I never felt transported to 1950 and that’s my one little complaint with the book.  It’s really not a fault, though – the story is timeless and could be set anywhere, at any time.  This is a wonderful book that encourages readers to go after their dreams!

kid konnection new

For more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week, leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

I am an Indiebound Affiliate.
  1. September 28, 2013 7:00 am

I keep hesitating about whether or not to read this!

2. Beth F permalink
    September 28, 2013 7:47 am

Cool trailer! Too bad it didn’t evoke the 50s better, but it still sound like a good read. I can’t believe I haven’t read Between Shades of Gray yet.

3. September 28, 2013 7:59 am

I just love the cover — I haven’t read Between Shades of Gray, so I’d probably start there!

4. talesofwhimsy permalink
    September 28, 2013 8:56 am

Sounds good. I heard BSOG was awesome.

5. September 28, 2013 9:43 am

I have Between Shades on my bookshelf, maybe I’ll move it up the TBR.

6. September 28, 2013 12:01 pm

I need to read this author soon. I have Between Shades of Gray on my shelf.

7. September 28, 2013 12:26 pm

I have this one on audio and need to get to it soon.

8. September 28, 2013 1:57 pm

I agree this one wasn’t as good as BETWEEN SHADES OF GRAY but you make an excellent point about her debut being hard to top. Did enjoy this one and can’t wait to see what she comes up with next.

9. Beth Hoffman permalink
    September 28, 2013 3:07 pm

I’m excited about reading Ruta’s latest offering. Thanks for sharing the trailer. Happy weekend, Kathy!

September 28, 2013 3:10 pm

It still sounds wonderful!

September 28, 2013 3:12 pm

OMG…the trailer was amazing!

12. September 28, 2013 6:24 pm

I love this author and thought this book was fantastic. And yes, Between Shades of Gray is hard to live up to. I don’t think I’ve seen the book trailer before!

13. September 29, 2013 10:44 am

I really liked this one too. While it was hard not to compare it to Between Shades of Grey, I think it’s cool that the author did something VERY different from her first book, which encouraged me to NOT compare the two as much as possible.

14. September 29, 2013 8:55 pm

I’m anxious to read this one! Between Shades of Grey was such an exceptional book and I imagine this one will be pretty good as well. Thanks for sharing the book trailer ~ excellent!

15. September 29, 2013 9:03 pm

I think I’ll read the other one first, but this does look good. I love New Orleans.

16. September 29, 2013 9:23 pm

I still have Between Shades of Gray on my wishlist. (It seriously bugs me that another book shares the same last three words as this book and my brain’s kind of programmed to skip past books with that phrase, but I need to remember to read this one.)

17. September 29, 2013 10:14 pm

This sounds interesting – but more interesting sounds like the one you read previously by this author. I am going to have to check that out. I have a sneaky idea I have it on the shelf.

18. September 29, 2013 11:34 pm

I enjoyed your review and the book trailer. This must be a Young Adult + book.

September 30, 2013 7:26 am

I really enjoyed this one and loved how different it was from BETWEEN SHADES OF GREY. Having said that, I did like BETWEEN SHADES OF GREY more.

20. September 30, 2013 3:40 pm

I really liked this book as well. Like you I liked Shades of Gray more but I think that’s because it hits so much more of a personal note with people. I’m curious to see what she comes out with next.

21. Literary Feline permalink
    October 1, 2013 4:12 pm

I haven’t read anything by this author, but her first book is on my wish list. It sounds like this one should be too.

22. October 9, 2013 6:48 pm

I think it would be pretty hard to top Between Shades of Gray, but I’m glad to hear this one is good, too.