Kid Konnection: Matilda

September 14, 2013

Matilda

Matilda is a sweet, precocious little girl with horrid parents.  She manages to rise above them, though, and by the time she starts school, she’s taught herself to read and do math.  She also has a strong sense of right and wrong and is horrified to witness the cruelty of the headmistress at her school.  When Matilda discovers she has secret powers she figures out a way to use them for good.

I cannot express just how much I loved Matilda, by Roald Dahl!  Matilda is the kind of child who is so good, she would be annoying in real life, but she’s saved by her earnestness – even though she’s practically perfect, you can’t help but like her.  Matilda is excited to start school and loves her teacher, Miss Honey – a kind and loving woman.  The headmistress, Mrs. Trunchbull is a whole different story, though – she bullies students and teachers alike.

Matilda discovers a secret power about herself and a secret about her headmistress and comes up with a plan to put Trunchbull in her place.  Trunchbull is one of those characters I loved to hate, so I cheered for Matilda and hoped her plan would be successful. Even though it was fantastical, I thought this book was so much fun!!

Kate Winslet narrates the audio version of this book and it is top notch!  This is truly one of the most amazing audio books I’ve ever listened to.  Winslet’s narration is out of this world and had me anxious to get back to Matlida – I was sad when this four and half hour book was over.  I really can’t say enough good things about this version of the book – it is one of my all time favorite audios.  Be sure to give it a try!

kid konnection new

For more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week, leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

Review copy provided by Penguin Books.  I am an Indiebound Affiliate.
  1. September 14, 2013 6:22 am

Oh wow. I can’t wait to get listening! I love the names for the teacher and principal.

2. sandynawrot permalink
    September 14, 2013 6:54 am

Oh man, you make this impossible to pass up! I would not have given it a second look. Time to unwrap it and pop it in the CD player in the car!

3. September 14, 2013 7:50 am

Roald Dahl is a master, isn’t he? I’ve read the book and seen the movie several times. I have an older audio version read by Miriam Margolyes, in a big Dahl audio set, but I don’t think I’ve listened to Matilda yet. The BFG and The Minpins are my favourite Dahls so far.

4. September 14, 2013 9:40 am

This sounds like a fun one!

5. September 14, 2013 9:48 am

I can’t believe I never read this. But it sounds like I should listen instead!

6. September 14, 2013 9:54 am

This has always been a favorite at our house. I think the audio would be great for a family car trip! Thanks for the recommendation.

7. September 14, 2013 10:11 am

This isn’t quite my favorite Roald Dahl, but I like it just the same. It’s one of my little sister’s favorite books, and my eight-year-old loves the movie version. Have you seen the film they made? It was well done.

8. September 14, 2013 11:17 am

Ooh sounds wonderful! Looking forward to hearing Kate Winslet’s take on Matilda.

September 14, 2013 4:41 pm

I loved this book and the original movie! I used to read this aloud to my 2nd graders!

10. September 14, 2013 6:31 pm

This does sound wonderful! Excellent review, Kathy!

11. September 14, 2013 6:50 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever read this one though I’ve heard loads about it. It sounds pretty delightful.

12. September 14, 2013 7:19 pm

I must confess to ignorance of Roald Dahl. However. I too received the audiobook of Mathilda and now I’m going to clear the decks and listen to it. Your strong praise did it.

13. September 14, 2013 10:37 pm

Another one my daughter would love!

14. September 14, 2013 10:47 pm

What an interesting audio narration! I’m glad you loved it so much. I LOVE the movie version of Matilda. 🙂

15. September 15, 2013 1:35 am

I would have never guessed! Sounds fantastic though and so glad you enjoyed it so much. I can’t remember if I read this one when I was little (I remember going through a Dahl phase) but this might be a great way for me to get a short audio in.

16. September 15, 2013 8:39 am

Trunchbull–what an appropriate name for the headmistress. I’m going to see if I can get this audiobook for my son. I love Kate Winslet’s voice and acting so I can see why you loved her narration so much.

17. September 15, 2013 12:02 pm

I have a copy of this. I’m going to have to toss it in the car for a listening treat. You make it sound so good!

18. talesofwhimsy permalink
    September 15, 2013 10:50 pm

Kate narrating Matilda? I need this.

19. September 16, 2013 9:35 am

Gosh, it’s been years since I read this, but I’ll admit that about a month ago I read James and The Giant Peach! Lol. I shall look out for the Kate Winslet audio version, it sounds as though it will be worth the effort. 🙂 Have you ever seen the film adaption? It’s magical! That and Madeline were two of my favorite films growing up.

September 16, 2013 9:58 am

I bet this was amazing! I read the book a few months ago and thought it was precious. Now, I’m dying to see the Broadway show!

21. Mitch Kelly permalink
    September 16, 2013 11:44 am

Roald Dahl was my favorite author growing up. I read everything I could find by him. I can’t wait for my son to grow up a little, so that I can share Dahl’s books with him. I’ll definitely have to remember the audiobook!!!!

22. September 16, 2013 3:24 pm

I still love Roald Dahl’s books! And the illustrations just made them even better. Matilda and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory were favorites. I haven’t listened to the audio books but I will definitely try some. So glad you enjoyed it! 🙂

23. Literary Feline permalink
    September 16, 2013 8:09 pm

I love Matilda. 🙂 One of my coworkers is always commenting that my daughter is going to be a little Matilda. I hope not because she thinks my husband and I are terrible parents. LOL

24. September 17, 2013 9:10 pm

my children and I loved the movie and now that i know Kate Winslet narrates it I must get it for me and the precious snuggle bug grand baby!

25. September 17, 2013 10:51 pm

I love Matilda and Kate Winslet. so this may have to go on Gage and my listen list.

26. September 26, 2013 10:39 am

The Girl and I loved this book, which we read years ago after she couldn’t get enough of the moving. With Kate Winslet narrating, I may actually have to get an audio book!