August 14, 2013

My first word this week came from Call Me Zelda by Erika Robuck.

1. mutable – “”But you can’t build a moat to keep out mutability,” said Scott.”

Mutable means prone to change: inconstant.

_____________________________________________________

This week’s second word comes from The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop and Café by Mary Simses.

2. derailleur – “I breathed in the cool, salty air and watched a boy coast down the street on a bike, the ticking from the derailleur growing softer as he faded from view.”

A derailleur is a mechanism for shifting gears on a bicycle that operates by moving the chain from one set of exposed gears to another.

_____________________________________________________

I found this week’s third word in Letters From Skye by Jessica Brockmole.

3. kist – “Gran has kept all of the letters in a kist at the foot of her bed, with the pictures tacked inside the lid.”

Kist is chiefly Scottish and South African and means chest.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. Brona permalink
    August 14, 2013 5:28 am

I knew the first word, but the other two were completely new to me. I also went for some French words this week.

2. August 14, 2013 6:23 am

Perhaps kist for chest is related to kas for chest. This term was used by the early Dutch settlers in the Hudson River Valley.

3. August 14, 2013 7:02 am

Gosh I haven’t heard the word derailleur in years, since I stopped riding bikes, which I did after I had a Great Big Accident, after which I *should* have gotten back on, but never did, and now I won’t. So no more derailleurs for me!

August 14, 2013 8:59 am

Ok…is the opposite of mutable…immutable?

5. August 14, 2013 9:33 am

Great words. I’ve been wanting to read The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop.

6. August 14, 2013 10:08 am

I think I knew derailleur but the others are new. Letters from Skye is soon in my rotation, so that is one less word to look up. And now I’m off to find a copy of The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop.

7. August 14, 2013 10:16 am

I almost always realize how small my vocabulary is with these posts, but I actually knew mutable. I use it on a regular basis, I feel so smart! 🙂

8. August 14, 2013 10:54 am

I too liked hearing derailed again. It used to be heard quite often but seems to have fallen out of usage.

9. August 14, 2013 11:23 am

I think I’ve heard of kist before. I like the way it looks. Mutable is definitely a word I can use often.

10. August 14, 2013 11:26 am

Mutable is a great word, and derailleur is so pretty. That Blueberry Bakeshop book sounds cute.

11. Beth Hoffman permalink
    August 14, 2013 11:35 am

Terrific words, Kathy! I knew mutable, but the others had me stumped.

12. August 14, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi Kathy,

A great selection of words this week and from some excellent sources.

The only word I knew was ‘kist’, both the others were new to me.

No way would I have known’Derailleur’, as I haven’t ridden a bike for more than 40 years and I don’t think that my bicycle then, even had gears!! LOL!

Thanks for sharing your words and hosting this week.

Yvonne

13. August 14, 2013 4:22 pm

Good words, I have a kist at the foot of my bed.

14. August 14, 2013 4:27 pm

I knew mutable, but the other two I need to remember. Great to find new vocab words in books!

15. August 14, 2013 9:48 pm

I get it- mutable- like mutation! And I know about derailleur – my husband used to be big into biking. Thankfully, he realized that disappearing for 5 hours at a time didn’t win him brownie points with me, the mommy stuck at home with many children! 🙂

August 16, 2013 8:57 am

All new to me!!!

17. August 17, 2013 8:23 pm

I knew derailleur from my cycling days, mutable I’ve heard of but didn’t really know, kist is new to me too.

18. August 20, 2013 12:36 pm

Good words. I like the word kist and could see myself trying to use that one at some point to stump people.