July 3, 2013

This week’s words came from The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman.

1. astragal – “The glazing of the light room was interrupted only by the crisscrossing of astragals that kept the panes in place.”

An astragal is a narrow half-round molding.

_____________________________________________________

2. nous – “All you need is patience and a bit of nous.”

I knew nous means we in French but could tell that didn’t fit here, so I looked it up.  It has several meanings, but the one that I think fits here is chiefly British – common sense or alertness.

_____________________________________________________

3. effluction – “Tom pondered the institutional indifference to the arrival of a new year — as though the Lights were not impressed by something as prosaic as the mere effluction of time.”

Effluction’s not in my dictionary, so I did a little searching on line.  It turns out it’s an alternative spelling for effluxion.  Efflux has several meanings but, in this case, I think it means a passing away: expiration.  What I found really interesting, though, is the phrase “effluxion of time” is a legal term that indicates the expiration of a lease.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. gautami tripathy permalink
    July 3, 2013 4:49 am

Thanks for telling us about effluction.

And I love using “nous” on unsuspecting people!!

2. July 3, 2013 5:11 am

This book sounds as though I’d be needing the dictionary a lot – but I did know ‘nous’. ‘Effluction’ sounds much nicer than ‘expiration’, it has a sense of flowing,

3. July 3, 2013 5:12 am

astragal and effluction are new words for me. ‘Nous’ was used often in my childhood by one particularly bullying teacher to all the class.

4. July 3, 2013 6:12 am

Well, I can see if any child of mine said effluction I would be thinking about washing its mouth out with soap – ha ha. It doesn’t *sound* like it means something non-naughty!

5. July 3, 2013 6:35 am

Ohhhh I love this feature! I Seriously think it’s the best weekly meme I’ve seen for book bloggers. Omgosh omgosh I love learning new words. Totally going to have to read through your backlog now. 😀

6. July 3, 2013 8:36 am

I would have been confused about nous being a French word as well. Astragal is a good one too!

7. Beth Hoffman permalink
    July 3, 2013 9:01 am

Though I was pretty sure I knew what astragal meant, the others are new to me.

8. July 3, 2013 10:37 am

I would have bet the farm that ‘astragal’ would have something to do with astronomy! But molding? Never would have guessed.

July 3, 2013 12:31 pm

Great words! I didn’t know any of them, of course!

10. July 3, 2013 1:38 pm

Astragal sounds sort of sci-fi, like astro gal! Fun words.

11. talesofwhimsy permalink
    July 3, 2013 1:42 pm

Nous? Cool. Never woulda guessed it.

12. July 3, 2013 2:03 pm

Nous is excellent–and I think I can remember that one! 🙂

13. July 3, 2013 2:40 pm

Interesting words. Thanks for sharing. All were new to me, and Light Between Oceans is on my to read list, so now I will be in the know!

14. July 3, 2013 3:17 pm

I’m going to add nous to my vocabulary. I like the way it sounds and also what it means. I’m a fan of common sense which I often find in short supply. Now I can say it differently. Thanks.

15. July 3, 2013 3:31 pm

Good ones

16. July 3, 2013 3:38 pm

All great words, all new to me.

17. July 3, 2013 3:42 pm

We could all use patience and a bit of nous. 🙂 I’ll have to remember that one.

18. July 3, 2013 3:42 pm

Sometimes a little nous is a good thing to have.

19. July 3, 2013 5:19 pm

I like effluction- and I think I can remember it. Thanks for taking the time to do the extra research! For “nous”, is the “s” silent?

July 3, 2013 7:21 pm

I always love these clever little words that I try to remember to use when I want to impress Den!

21. July 4, 2013 7:05 pm

I think I could effluction. 🙂 I’m sorry I haven’t been participating for the last two weeks for my Italian edition of Wondrous Words Wednesday. I promise I’ll be back.

22. July 5, 2013 2:13 pm

I didn’t know any of these! Astragal’s interesting – makes me want to investigate its origins. I would never have thought it meant a narrow half-round molding (or any sort of molding, for that matter!).

23. July 14, 2013 11:23 pm

Ha! Those are great and difficult words!

24. September 8, 2016 8:36 pm

I was pleasantly surprised and delighted to find this posting. I just finished reading The Light Between Oceans (loved it!) and was looking up various terms I notated on my kindle. Several of them didn’t come up on my definitions unless I turned off airplane mode. Googling on my smart phone, most of them were Australian slang. Loved learning them all! ( coconut shy [and the related connection to the song “I’ve Got A Lovely Bunch Of Coconuts”] cooee, Snugglep other and Cuddle pie, chucked a wobbly, knocked him for six, and many others!) Now on my list of favorite books!!

• September 8, 2016 8:47 pm

Darn auto correct! That should read “Snugglepot and Cuddlepie”. Great Austin children’s books characters.

• September 8, 2016 8:49 pm

Auto correct struck again! I usually check before sending anything, but I got distracted by a phone call in the midst of writing. That should read “Aussie” children’s books!!! Argh!