At the movies: The Great Gatsby

May 31, 2013

The Great Gatsby

I don’t always enjoy movies made from classic books but the trailers for The Great Gatsby are so captivating, I decided I had to see the movie.  It’s been decades since I’ve read the book so I don’t remember a lot of the details, but it seems to me they included the major plot points in the movie.  Mysterious millionaire Jay Gatsby is obsessed with former flame Daisy Buchanan and throws extravagant, decadent parties to impress her.  When Jay learns that his neighbor Nick Carraway is Daisy’s cousin he invites him to one of his parties and they discover they served in the military together and renew their old friendship.  At first, Nick is drawn to Jay’s lifestyle but eventually discovers that things aren’t what they appear to be.

I went into The Great Gatsby with high expectations and, while they weren’t quite met, I did enjoy the movie.  For me, the movie started out slow but things picked up about a third of the way through.  I thought Leonardo DiCaprio (Jay Gatsby), Tobey Maguire (Nick Carraway), and Carey Mulligan (Daisy Buchanan) were all well cast.  I thought the settings and costumes were fabulous and particularly enjoyed the party scenes.  The movie is visually and musically appealing so it’s definitely worth seeing but some people may want to wait until they can rent it.

1. Melinda permalink
    May 31, 2013 4:59 am

I’m glad you enjoyed the movie! I’m yet to see it

2. May 31, 2013 5:26 am

I’m not really a Baz Lurhman fan so I’ll probably skip it!

3. May 31, 2013 6:16 am

Glad to hear it was well cast since it’s one of my favorite books (I read it every 2 or 3 years). I’ll probably wait to get it from Netflix. By the way, I recently listened to the newest audio production with Jake Gyllenhaal narrating – it was wonderful!

4. May 31, 2013 6:46 am

that seems to be the general feeling..good but not great.

5. sandynawrot permalink
    May 31, 2013 6:50 am

I loved it. Really loved. But I do enjoy Luhrman’s dazzly style. I just sat there gaping throughout the whole thing. I think it did help me that I’d just re-read the book.

6. May 31, 2013 7:35 am

The costumes in the trailer look great. This looks like a movie I think I would enjoy.

7. May 31, 2013 10:03 am

My daughter and mom saw this without me and really liked it. I’m not sure if it’s up my alley though.

8. talesofwhimsy permalink
    May 31, 2013 10:12 am

I can’t wait.

9. May 31, 2013 11:56 am

I really wanted to see it last Christmas, which was the first date they advertised for the release. In prep for it, I reread the book and then they pushed the release date back. Ugh! That irritated me! So I will see it, but will probably wait for the DVD.

10. May 31, 2013 1:45 pm

I loved loved loved the original movie. If I see this version (and I am a Leonardo DiCaprio fan), then I will need to see it as a different story.

11. May 31, 2013 2:06 pm

I think I’ll stick with my good memories of the Robert Redford/Mia Farrow movie version of years ago. Sam Waterston was the narrator in that one. I like Leonardo DiCaprio a lot but I’m going to skip this one.

May 31, 2013 2:36 pm

I really want to see this, too…but we are so low to jump on movies…we will see it soon.

13. May 31, 2013 2:43 pm

I initially planned to wait for the dvd on this one, but on the other hand I am so happy to see Hollywood focus on a classic book (even if their interpretation isn’t perfect) that I want to financially reward them for that. 😉

14. May 31, 2013 4:14 pm

On dvd yes

15. May 31, 2013 8:25 pm

It’s not long since I read the book so this is one movie I’d like to see.

16. May 31, 2013 8:29 pm

I have heard very mixed reviews of this one but I still want to see it….if for no other reason than to enjoy the movie theater popcorn and surround sound!

17. May 31, 2013 9:32 pm

Not a huge fan of the book, but I’m sure that we’ll watch it someday 🙂

18. June 1, 2013 10:28 am

I’ve seen the movies and read the book so I wasn’t too sure about going to see yet another production. But I’m reading good reviews so it’s going on the DVD list.

19. June 1, 2013 12:23 pm

Glad you got the chance to see this in theaters! Weren’t the party scenes amazing? It seems like this movie inspires strong reactions from viewers, but as you know we loved it.

20. June 1, 2013 7:37 pm

I soooo want to see it again!

21. June 2, 2013 6:30 am

I have promised to see this with a friend next weekend so I am glad you thought it was worth seeing.

22. June 2, 2013 10:14 am

I think I will wait until it’s on cable.

23. swright9 permalink
    June 2, 2013 4:56 pm

Glad you enjoyed the movie, Old Sport. I liked it too.

24. June 3, 2013 9:54 am

My daughter went to see it and loved it, but I, too, will likely wait for it on Netflix. 🙂

25. June 3, 2013 1:35 pm

I want to see this one, but will likely have to wait for video

26. June 3, 2013 3:32 pm

I’ll wait for the video, but glad you enjoyed it – gives it a chance, as I don’t really like movies based on books, either 🙂

June 4, 2013 3:04 pm

I know this movie wasn’t perfect, but I found it to be entertaining!

28. Jennifer permalink
    June 5, 2013 12:11 am

I’m glad that you enjoyed the movie.

The novel is one of my favorite books and one that I get to teach now. Let’s just say that I loved the movie and am really looking forward to being able to use it as a teaching resource in the future!

29. June 5, 2013 8:48 am

I thought it was good to see it in the theater, because the party scenes were so huge and full of spectacle!

30. June 5, 2013 7:24 pm

I trust your reviews on movies. I’ll probably wait for the DVD although, with the scenery and costumes being so great, it might be better on the big screen.

31. June 9, 2013 6:22 pm

Marc and his friends went to this one and loved it!! I did get the audio book narrated by Jake Gyllenhal because I’ve been meaning to read it for ages!