Kid Konnection: My Dad Thinks He’s Funny

May 25, 2013

My Dad Thinks He's Funny

My Dad Thinks He’s Funny by Katrina Germein is a delightful picture book that everyone will be able to relate to, no matter their age.  The unnamed narrator shares all the things his dad does and says that elicit eye rolls.

My dad thinks he’s funny.
Whenever I go swimming, Dad says,

“Try not to get wet!”
Whenever I go shopping, Dad says,

“Buy me some money!”

And whenever I say I’m going to the bathroom, Dad says,

“Don’t get lost!”

This book shows youngsters that every family has sayings that make the kids groan but also bring them comfort with their familiarity.  It also reminds parents that it’s okay to be silly sometimes, especially when it’s done with love.  I bet a lot of kids will recognize at least one of the funny moments in the book from their own lives and are sure to giggle a time or two as they read this book.  Tom Jellett‘s adorable illustrations enhance this great book and make it visually appealing as well.  My Dad Thinks He’s Funny is a great book to share around Father’s Day!

kid konnection newFor more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week, leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

Review copy provided by Candlewick Press. I am an Indiebound Affiliate.
  1. May 25, 2013 6:30 am

This does sound adorable.

2. May 25, 2013 7:28 am

Not enough books focus on the role of dads! This sounds great!

3. talesofwhimsy permalink
    May 25, 2013 9:35 am

Sounds great. We’re all about being silly in my casa.

4. May 25, 2013 11:11 am

Oh, my son would get a kick out of this one. Every time my hubby tries to be funny, my son groans. But I love that my hubby has that great sense of humor because when the kids join in, it’s a ruckus!

5. sandynawrot permalink
    May 25, 2013 11:13 am

My kids would be right there with this kid. They think my husband is the biggest goofball and he embarrasses them constantly. Someday hopefully they will appreciate his sense of humor!

6. May 25, 2013 9:45 pm

The title alone is perfect! I agree with Rhapsody with Books, we need more positive books about dads.

Thanks for the link to Booking Mama. I’m adding her site to my list of ones to visit and share a link.

7. May 28, 2013 12:49 am

My dad thinks he’s funny! I’m always telling him that if he has to tell us it’s a joke he probably needs new material 😉

May 28, 2013 1:15 pm

My kids would have loved this because they truly think their dad is the funniest!

9. June 9, 2013 6:17 pm

Sounds like one that all kids would love to read with their dads!!