Kid Konnection: It’s Our Garden

May 11, 2013

It's Our Garden

When third grade teacher Mrs. McCarthy proposed a school garden for Acequia Madre Elementary School, the principal, other teachers, and parents joined forces to make her dream a reality.  Along with volunteers and family members, teachers and students have created a garden that is an oasis for learning and a community gathering spot.  Teachers incorporate many lessons, including art and music into gardening activities and families gather to enjoy the fruits of everyone’s labors.

It’s Our Garden, by George Ancona, tells the story of Acequia Madre Elementary School’s garden, one of many in the country.  With photos of real students working in the garden and drawings by children, I found this book to be completely charming.  It made me long for a community garden of some sort.  It’s easy to see the sense of pride the students take in their garden and all the valuable lessons they’re learning.  The garden has become a gathering place for families in the school community even when school is not in session.

Young readers will enjoy reading about this fabulous project and will be itching for a garden of their own.  Seeing photos of others youngsters may even inspire them.  It’s Our Garden would make an excellent addition to any classroom or school library.

kid konnection newFor more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week, leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

Review copy provided by Candlewick Press. I am an Indiebound Affiliate.
  1. May 11, 2013 5:57 am

What a project. I went to the website and the photos of the children working in the garden are inspiring.

2. May 11, 2013 7:40 am

I have always wanted to be part of community gardening as well!

3. sandynawrot permalink
    May 11, 2013 11:17 am

When my son was in his gifted program (he was in it 1st through 5th grade) his class had a garden. Those kids loved it! I would have to be part of a community garden because I basically have a black thumb.

4. talesofwhimsy permalink
    May 11, 2013 12:04 pm

Sounds wayyy cool.

5. May 11, 2013 1:26 pm

Kids love to garden! When we work in our yard, our kids always join us and want to do what we are doing too.

6. May 12, 2013 7:50 pm

I saw this book recently when I was looking for Earth Day books. Community gardens are awesome.

May 13, 2013 10:13 pm

Booking Son and I’ve read a few about community gardens but not this one.

8. May 13, 2013 11:33 pm

I think school gardens are awesome. Especially if the kids get to grow and eat some of the produce! I’d love to see the kids’ drawings in this book.

9. May 14, 2013 10:50 pm

I’ve been advocating a garden at our school…will let you know if it ever happens!