Kid Konnection: Peanut

May 4, 2013

Peanut

When Sadie and her mom move just before Sadie’s sophomore year of high school, Sadie figures she has to do something to make herself stand out at her new school.  She remembers meeting a girl who was allergic to peanuts so she decides to tell everyone she has a peanut allergy and goes so far as to order a medical alert bracelet.  Sadie’s lying to her mom as well as her new friends and teachers and, after a while, she finds it hard to keep up with her stories.

I thoroughly enjoyed Peanut by Ayun Halliday!  Sadie figures the best way to fit in at her new high school is to stand out in some way.  When she remembers meeting a girl with a peanut allergy, it seems like just the thing, and it is, for a while, anyway.  Since she doesn’t have a life threatening allergy, Sadie never realized how vigilant you have to be when you do have one.  Dealing with the school nurse and teachers is more complicated than she realized it would be and Sadie begins to feel guilty for lying to her friends and mom.

I thought this book was both fun and thought provoking and appreciated the way it shows how dangerous food allergies are for those who suffer from them without being too maudlin.  I also liked the way it showed how complicated things can become when someone starts lying.  Sadie does a lot of growing up, though, and discovers who her true friends are. The illustrations by Paul Hoppe enhance Peanut‘s storyline.  Sadie is always featured in red and stands out whenever she’s in the story.   Kids who’ve struggled with moves and/or popularity will relate to Sadie and find this story particularly enjoyable.

kid konnection newFor more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week, leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

My friend Julie sent me this book.  I am an Indiebound Affiliate.
  1. May 4, 2013 6:51 am

This is such a cute idea! At first, I was like “how did I not hear about this book,” but then it turned out to be a children’s book. Allergies are the worst, and it’s such a good idea to write children’s books around them! Is there a book called “Pollen,” cause I would need that one? 🙂

2. sandynawrot permalink
    May 4, 2013 7:52 am

This sounds like another wonderful book that is wholesome and teaches a good lesson or two. We need more of those.

3. May 4, 2013 7:58 am

What a great way to teach a lesson. I think a lot of kids could relate to Sadie.

4. May 4, 2013 8:04 am

I don’t think I could keep up that lie – I would have to pass on peanut butter, peanut butter cookies, etc etc!!!

5. May 4, 2013 9:21 am

It sounds like a good read.

6. May 4, 2013 10:17 am

Sounds great! I bet it is hard to keep up that lie. And as someone with food allergies, it is a challenge, and I’m sure many kids will relate.
    Thanks for putting this one on my radar.

7. talesofwhimsy permalink
    May 5, 2013 10:31 am

Reallly? Odd duck. Sounds interesting though.

8. redladysreadingroom permalink
    May 5, 2013 4:56 pm

I’m not sure about this one, my son has peanut allergies and it’s unbelievable that someone could pretend they have this allergy. A teenager could not lie to their mother that they have a life threatening peanut allergy without a doctor involved. I can see how there is a message behind the story although the premise just doesn’t sit well for me. Having a peanut allergy is not cute or wonderful, maybe this book can teach that lesson.

9. May 5, 2013 9:50 pm

I am so glad that Gage doesn’t have to worry about this anymore. Well, it was really me worrying and I’m really thankful that he outgrew his allergy. A scary thing so I hope the book didn’t treat it too lightly.

10. May 6, 2013 5:44 pm

What an interesting premise! Lying about a food allergy isn’t the most direct route to friends and popularity that I can think of, but I’m sure she’ll learn a lot about herself. Glad you enjoyed this!

May 10, 2013 8:11 am

You know this one was personal to me because it mentioned a peanut allergy. I thought it was terrific too!