Thoughts on The Best of Us

April 9, 2013

The Best of Us

I’ve been a fan of Sarah Pekkanen‘s ever since I read her first book, The Opposite of Me.  Since then I’ve been lucky enough to get to know Sarah and call her a friend, so it’s difficult for me to give an unbiased opinion of her work these days but, I would have chosen to remain quiet if I didn’t enjoy her latest book, The Best of Us.  Luckily for me and the rest of her fans, I think she’s written another winner!

When Pauline’s husband Dwight turns 35, she invites 3 other couples – college friends of Dwight and their spouses – on the trip of a lifetime.  She rents a luxury villa in Jamaica, complete with a chef, and plans some fabulous outings for everyone while they’re there.  It seems they all need this getaway for different reasons.  The trip delivers for each of them, but not in the way they expected.

Once again, Sarah has written a compelling story with strong characterizations and fantastic dialogue.  I’ve read this book twice and was equally engrossed both times!  Even though I know I’ll never go on a trip like that, I could relate to each of the characters in some way and I think most people will be able to as well.   There were times I wanted to choke each one of them, but I think that’s a sign of well written characters. This book’s a little edgier than Sarah’s previous work but those who enjoy women’s fiction, will want to grab a copy of The Best of Us!

Because of a dispute Sarah’s publisher, Simon and Schuster, is currently having with Barnes & Noble,  the chain has reduced the number of Simon & Schuster titles they order and is not displaying any of those titles in the front of the store.  You can read The New York Times article on the dispute here.  If you shop at Barnes & Noble, you may have to ask for the book, but indies should have it prominently displayed.

Review copy provided by the author.  I am an Indiebound Affliate.
  1. April 9, 2013 4:27 am

Looking forward to reading this one. I’ve read two of her books and liked them very much.

2. Beth F permalink
    April 9, 2013 6:14 am

I just skimmed! Hope to read this over the weekend.

3. April 9, 2013 6:33 am

I know I’ll read it at some point. Glad you liked it.

4. sandynawrot permalink
    April 9, 2013 7:19 am

Rat bastards, doing that to our beloved Sarah. Makes me want to stand in the front of the story and demand the book LOUDLY. Stomp my feet and stuff. I can’t wait to read this. I know I will love it because she is incapable of writing anything but awesomeness.

5. April 9, 2013 8:05 am

This is the second rave review I’ve read on this book. Didn’t know about the dispute, though.

6. April 9, 2013 8:14 am

Awesome that you read through it twice Kathy! Happy book release day to Sarah!

7. April 9, 2013 9:23 am

This sounds right up my alley in terms of women’s fiction. Plus there’s travel involved…it can’t go wrong! 🙂

8. therelentlessreader permalink
    April 9, 2013 9:27 am

I’ve been seeing this one popping up in the blogosphere and I’m intrigued. This sounds like a character driven novel? Those are my favorites 🙂

9. April 9, 2013 9:43 am

Even though you are biased, I will still take you recommendation to read this book 😉 Then again, I’m biased when it comes to certain authors, so I know what you mean 🙂 LOL! Anyhow, based on a previous review you wrote about one of her books I decided to give her writing a go and I loved it – so, I’m a fan and will definitely be kindling this one ASAP! Great post! By the by, I don’t think I’ll be going on a vacation like that anytime soon either.

10. April 9, 2013 9:44 am

Sarah is coming to my indie later this month. I’m looking forward to seeing her again & diving in to THE BEST OF US!

11. April 9, 2013 9:47 am

I am looking forward to this book. One of the reasons I shop at my local Indie!

12. April 9, 2013 9:54 am

I have heard so many good things about Pekkanen. I really do need to get my hands on some of her books!

I hadn’t heard about the B&N and Simon & Schuster dispute! That’s really kind of crazy!

13. April 9, 2013 11:36 am

I can’t wait to read this one! :–)

14. April 9, 2013 12:50 pm

Glad to know this is a winner but so devastating she’s part of the B&N debacle.

15. April 9, 2013 1:16 pm

Wonderful review, Kathy! I’m glad you enjoyed this so much that you read it twice.

16. April 9, 2013 2:12 pm

Sounds like a great book-thanks so much!

17. April 9, 2013 2:42 pm

This does sound like a fun book with the couples going to Jamaica. I always wanted to travel to Jamaica. Like you I don’t think it will ever happen. I didn’t know abt. The Simon & Schuster situation. Hope it all works out.

18. April 9, 2013 3:12 pm

Thank you so much for the lovely review Kathy – and for all these wonderful comments! The B&N situation is tough, but the support of bloggers and readers and other authors has been so overwhelmingly kind that the sting has been taken away. xoxo, Sarah

19. April 9, 2013 5:06 pm

I’ve only read The Opposite of Me, and I really enjoyed that one. This one is edgier, so this one will likely be even more up my alley, if that’s possible. B&N seems to be a bit crazy with this dispute….they are just losing out on sales if they keep that up

20. April 9, 2013 7:33 pm

thank you for your review, publishers and distributors getting upset with each other is bad for business.

21. April 9, 2013 7:38 pm

The Opposite of Me is the only Pekkanen book I’ve read so far, but I enjoyed it enough to add this one to my list. This one actually sounds like the kind of book I love. Thanks for sharing.

22. April 9, 2013 9:08 pm

I guess even book stores can hold a grudge..LOL Shame on B&N.

April 10, 2013 6:53 am

Exciting to see that Sarah’s getting so much positive support for her latest novel.

24. April 10, 2013 11:04 am

I just received the audiobook of this one so I’m happy to see your rave review. This will be my first Pekkanen book! The edginess of this one appeals to me, and that there’s travel. Can’t wait!

25. talesofwhimsy permalink
    April 10, 2013 11:37 am

Great review and that sounds totally unfair for the author. 😦

26. April 10, 2013 12:11 pm

What a shame that the publisher and bookstore can’t come to an agreement that supports authors and readers! I’m glad this book lived up to your hopes. It sounds wonderful.

27. April 10, 2013 1:25 pm

I really like the sound of this one. I hadn’t heard about the dispute between the retailer and the publisher. That is sad, but seems to be happening all too frequently these days. I feel worse for the author and her perspective readers. Hopefully her books will find their way into the hands of the readers even despite the problems.

28. April 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Why, oh why, have I yet to read a book by her? Must remedy this.

29. April 10, 2013 8:02 pm

I will be reading this one soon. I like that you state it is a bit edgier…looking forward to it!

30. April 13, 2013 2:35 pm

I didn’t know about the S&S/BN problem. They really should play nice since they need each other to survive.

31. April 14, 2013 9:11 pm

Gosh … I wish I had a trip like this to go on!

32. April 27, 2013 5:29 pm

I haven’t read any by this author. I like the idea of it being edgy!