April 3, 2013

My words this week come from Life After Life by Kate Atkinson.

1. flitch – “He thought of the flitch of bacon resting coolly in his own pantry.”

Isn’t flitch a fun word?  It means a side of cured meat, especially a side of bacon.

_____________________________________________________

2. marrow – “”A marrow?’ Izzie said, inspecting the contents of the box.”

I’d heard of bone marrow but it didn’t seem to fit the context and I’ve never heard it referred to as a marrow, so I decided to look it up.  I discovered that the British have a squash that’s related to zucchini that’s called marrow.  You can see a picture and read about them here.

_____________________________________________________

3. thrawn – “The thrawn face (“that look” was how she thought of it) now made regular appearances and Ursula surprised herself with how far she would go to appease it.”

Thrawn is chiefly Scottish and means lacking in pleasing or attractive qualities.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. Beth Hoffman permalink
    April 3, 2013 5:23 am

I had no idea that marrow was a squash. Love the word “flitch” and have to admit it stumped me. I sure hope no one ever describes me as “thrawn” ….LOL!

2. April 3, 2013 6:09 am

All new to me Kathy. I too like “flitch”, although I keep wanting to say it as “Filtch”- the caretaker of Hogwarts. And marrow or squash- my kids still won’t eat it! 😉

3. thewrredhead permalink
    April 3, 2013 6:11 am

I love finding words that are new to me because they’re primarily British in nature. Thrawn is a great one!

4. April 3, 2013 6:26 am

One wonders why “flitch” only refers to a side of meat that is cured. Would there be a separate word for one not cured?

5. April 3, 2013 11:12 am

Marrow surprised me being it was a squash too, interesting.

6. April 3, 2013 11:15 am

Hi Kathy,

Being English, I should have known all your words today, when in actual fact, the only one I knew with any certainty was ‘marrow’

Marrows are an acquired taste, more watery and bland than young, sweet courgettes, but they’re a wonderful blank canvas for spiced or strongly flavoured foods. I generally hollow them out by removing the centre ‘pith’, stuff them with sausagemeat and herbs, then bake them in the oven.

I have heard of ‘thrawn’, but couldn’t have explained with any authority exactly what it meant. It is a good word to drop into a conversation, but I guess I would need to be prepared for the consequences of telling someone that they weren’t very attractive!

‘flitch’ is a completely new word to me.

Thanks for sharing and hosting WWW,

Yvonne

7. April 3, 2013 12:21 pm

I like all three of your new words but, I’m especially drawn to thrawn. I didn’t mean to rhyme but I was thinking of the drawn quality on a face that is closed up with displeasure. I’ll have to use that word today and make it my own.

April 3, 2013 12:27 pm

There were quite a few British words in this book that made me pause.

9. talesofwhimsy permalink
    April 3, 2013 12:44 pm

Flitch? Huh! Who knew? I like it.

10. zibilee permalink
    April 3, 2013 1:02 pm

All of these are new to me, and I love them! I also love the above commenter describing what a marrow is really like. Excellent words today! I am going to be listening to this book soon (when it arrives from the library) and can’t wait!!

11. April 3, 2013 1:43 pm

Excellent word! Flitch is terrific, and I didn’t know there’s another meaning for marrow.

12. Belle Wong permalink
    April 3, 2013 2:08 pm

I only knew marrow, and that’s mainly from reading Agatha Christie novels where, it seems, everyone retires to grow marrows in their vegetable gardens! Flitch and thrawn are very interesting words – flitch sounds like such an action word to me, though!

13. debbierodgers permalink
    April 3, 2013 3:48 pm

Right, Belle: Hercule Poirot always wanted to retire and raise marrows! 😉

April 3, 2013 5:22 pm

Lovely weird words!

15. April 3, 2013 7:53 pm

Yes, I quite remember that Hercule Poirot was going to retire to the English countryside and grow the “marrow”. I had looked it up back when I read my first Agatha Christie adventure. But I love the bacon word.

16. April 3, 2013 10:26 pm

flitch is a fun one 🙂

17. April 4, 2013 4:45 pm

I’m unfamiliar with these, but “flitch” in the context of that sentence is making me hungry!

18. April 5, 2013 1:15 am

As a gardener I probably should have known marrow was a squash, but I didn’t.

19. April 5, 2013 3:56 am

I’d never heard of any of these, but I really love all three words. Thanks so much for sharing!

20. April 7, 2013 7:03 pm

All of them are new to me!

21. April 14, 2013 2:19 am

That’s interesting about marrow. I have the same thoughts too and only about bones. Learned something new today!