At the movies: Admission

March 29, 2013

ZD30_1SHT_billing block_1

Portia Nathan might be a little dull but she’s content with her life.  She lives with her long time boyfriend and is an admissions officer at Princeton University – if she plays her cards right she might become the dean of the department.  She gets a call from the head of a new school – he knew her at Dartmouth and thinks his brilliant student might be the son she gave up for adoption years ago.  Portia decides she wants to help the student but at what cost to her life and career?

I read Admission, by Jean Hanff Korelitz four years ago and was anxious to see the movie version.  I’m happy to say I enjoyed it and even became teary-eyed a time or two.  Since it’s been so long since I read the book, I don’t remember all of the details, but noticed several things that were changed in the movie – I’m not sure but I even think the ending was changed.    The movie has been billed a comedy – maybe because it stars Tina Fey – but it’s really not.  I enjoyed both Fey and Paul Rudd in the movie and was thrilled to see Lily Tomlin on the big screen.

Admission won’t be my favorite movie of the year but I did enjoy it.  It provides a little drama and gives a peek into the world of college admissions.

1. March 29, 2013 4:09 am

Another comedy that is not a comedy? Sighs

2. March 29, 2013 6:53 am

One of my work-study jobs when I was an undergrad (a hundred years ago!) was in the admissions department, so I’ve been really curious about the movie. I never did get around to reading the book.

3. March 29, 2013 7:11 am

I want to see this too – I love all three of those actors!

4. talesofwhimsy permalink
    March 29, 2013 8:00 am

O yah I think it sounds like a pass for me. Thanks for your great honest review.

5. March 29, 2013 8:00 am

Love the actors, but I am shocked that it isn’t really a comedy. You could have fooled me. The trailers show all the funny stuff! And look at that movie poster. I guess they have to sell it that way because that is what you expect from Rudd and Fey?

6. March 29, 2013 8:02 am

It looks like they’ve highlighted the romance in this movie, but I still want to see it. I’ve been thinking of it all winter, as admissions officers read my son’s materials and decided whether to admit him. He got into the schools he applied to, so of course now I’m convinced the process works well.

7. March 29, 2013 10:09 am

I have never even heard of this before. Sometimes I am a bit behind the times! It should be funny, great cast, so that is sad all the funny stuff is basically in the trailer. I hate that!

8. March 29, 2013 10:23 am

I have not read the book (hate to admit it.. but I didnt know it was a book… eeep! 🙂 ) I do want to see this though.

9. March 29, 2013 12:14 pm

I’ll have to put this on my movie list. Have a happy Easter.

10. therelentlessreader permalink
    March 29, 2013 12:41 pm

I haven’t read the book, heck I didn’t even know that it WAS a book 😉 The movie trailer has intrigued me though. Mostly because I love Rudd and have a super girl crush on Tina Fey.

11. March 29, 2013 12:47 pm

I really like Tina Fey so this is on my list to see!

12. March 29, 2013 1:11 pm

Kathy, thanks for your honest review! 🙂

13. zibilee permalink
    March 29, 2013 1:37 pm

The day the movie came out, I bought the book at a steep discount, and I am hoping to read before watching. I do love Tina Fey, and love her acting, so I am excited to see this one, and I am glad to hear that you thought it was a good movie. The storyline does sound excellent, and I am eager to get to it.

14. March 29, 2013 2:03 pm

Haven’t read the book or seen the movie, but would like to do both. I’m surprised the movie isn’t really a comedy. I didn’t know Lily Tomlin was in this, but I LOVE her!!

15. boardinginmyforties permalink
    March 29, 2013 2:27 pm

I haven’t read the book so I won’t have any preconceived notions about what the story should be and I LOVE Tina Fey so I will definitely be going to see this one. Funny you say this is not a comedy because I just assumed it was given Fey’s involvement. It will be nice to see her in a more serious role for a change.

March 29, 2013 5:34 pm

It’s funny the way it is promoted to look like a comedy…hmmm…

17. joannepeulen permalink
    March 29, 2013 9:00 pm

You can’t go past a movie with Rudd in it… he really has aged well 😉

18. March 30, 2013 3:28 pm

I wondered if this was based on the novel – I was confused because it definitely looked like a comedy. I will probably watch it at some point because I love Tina Fey!

19. March 30, 2013 5:55 pm

I have the book but am pretty sure I won’t have time to read it before I see the movie. I won’t be able to wait that long!

20. swright9 permalink
    March 31, 2013 2:35 pm

Will get to it on pay per view. Like the actors …

April 1, 2013 7:16 am

I’ve heard this one isn’t great but I love the actors in it!

22. April 1, 2013 9:23 pm

I really enjoyed this movie – it was a well-done conversion from the book.

23. April 1, 2013 10:15 pm

I’ve been wanting to see this one!! I nabbed the book when it was 1.99 for my Kindle…so excited about that!

24. April 7, 2013 9:09 pm

I was wondering if this was based on the book!! Glad to finally learn it was. (Not that I read the book yet but it has been on my TBR for a long time.)