January 30, 2013

My words this week came from The Queen: A Life in Brief by Robert Lacey.

1. recrudescence – “‘It was even possible to see,’ wrote the radical old Estonian, who had chosen to live as a beggar in London’s East End for a time while researching his classic work of reportage, Down and Out In Paris and London, ‘the survival, or recrudescence, of an idea almost as old as history, the idea of the King and the common people being in a sort of alliance against the upper classes.'”

Recrudescence means a new outbreak after a period of abatement or inactivity: renewal.  I like this word but doubt I’ll use it – it’s too hard for me to pronounce!

_____________________________________________________

2. tumbril – “As usual, it was the Murdoch press that most menacingly evoked the tumbrils.”

A tumbril is a farm tipcart or a vehicle carrying condemned persons to a place of execution.  In this case, the author meant the latter meaning, but only in a figurative sense.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. January 30, 2013 6:05 am

I went to London with my words this week too! I know recrudescence- it’s not that hard to say if you practice. I think I’ve heard of tumbril before,but am not sure.

2. thewrredhead permalink
    January 30, 2013 7:01 am

I know it’s not quite the same thing, but tumbril reminds me of the cart from that scene in Monty Python…”Bring out your dead!”…ha! Great words this week 🙂

3. January 30, 2013 7:43 am

Lovely. I just might practice recrudescence.
    I’m writing my post now. (warning – it’s long.)

4. January 30, 2013 9:18 am

I bet you heard tumbrils a lot during your Paris days! It was a staple of the executions during the revolution! …bringing in bodies, carting off heads….

5. January 30, 2013 10:08 am

Great words, Kathy … you stumped with both!

January 30, 2013 10:59 am

I doubt you’ll have much occasion to use tumbril either! LOL!

7. January 30, 2013 11:09 am

Two interesting words this week, Kathy. They both sound Briitish to me although I can’t exactly say why.

8. January 30, 2013 11:22 am

Both of your words were new to me too. I doubt that I would find an opportunity to use either of them, but if I come across them in a book, now I will know them. Thanks.

9. January 30, 2013 11:51 am

Thanks! for again sharing these interesting words.

10. January 30, 2013 11:56 am

I should read this book just for the vocab words! Both new to me as well.

11. January 30, 2013 12:01 pm

I agree with you completely about recrudescence, I like it but it’s so difficult to pronounce I probably won’t use it…although, the more i think about it and say, the easier it becomes and I really like it!
    Tumbril wasn’t at all what I thought it was going to be! It’s two meanings are pretty divergent, one is so sort of depressing and the other is just basic. Very interesting!

Thank you!

12. January 30, 2013 12:12 pm

Hi Kathy,

A couple of great tongue-teasers this week, just so typical of the ‘upper crust’ English vocabulary!

I did actually know ‘Tumbril’, however ‘Recrudescence’ was new to me. Like yourself, I doubt that I would ever have cause or opportunity to use it, however it is definitely a word to impress should the occasion arise.

An interesting post this week, thanks. I hope that you are / have enjoyed the stay with your mother and that she had a lovely birthday. Safe trip home,

Yvonne

13. January 30, 2013 2:49 pm

I knew tumbril since my husbands grandfather was a farmer and I hear all the old stories. The other one I’ve never heard of.

14. January 30, 2013 2:52 pm

Just loving the first one

15. January 30, 2013 3:45 pm

Nice vocab words! Something tells me I’d need to have a dictionary handy while reading that book.

January 30, 2013 4:08 pm

The first word is quite special!

17. January 30, 2013 4:18 pm

you picked a couple of words that are completely foreign to me today! excellent choices 🙂

18. zibilee permalink
    January 30, 2013 6:00 pm

These are both words that I can’t imagine using, but it’s good to know the definitions of them, in case I ever come across them! Thanks, Kathy!

19. January 30, 2013 6:04 pm

Recrudescence… what a word! I love it. I want to try really hard to use it, but this seems like a toughy. Hmm…

20. January 30, 2013 6:38 pm

Recrudescence – Just has too much of a pretentious sound to me! Tumbril though sounds like much more fun!

21. January 31, 2013 2:28 am

the words sounded familar but the meanings made me realize they were not. Would love to use tumbril.

22. January 31, 2013 6:28 pm

Wow I love this feature so much! It is now my mission to use tumbril in every day conversation (figuratively, of course).

23. January 31, 2013 6:57 pm

I would seriously think that with all of the reading I would do that I would know these words…right?? No dice! 😀

24. January 31, 2013 9:04 pm

recrudescence is a cool word 🙂

25. February 3, 2013 3:26 am

It’s been over fifty years but, didn’t *tumbrils* roll in A Tale Of Two Cities?