Kid Konnection: Skinny

January 5, 2013

Skinny

Fifteen year old Ever has struggled since her mom passed away several years ago.  It’s not because of her stepmom and stepsister – she’s not crazy about them, but they get along okay – it’s because she misses her mom so much.  It seems that most of her memories of her mom revolve around eating so Ever turns to food for comfort.  The problem is, she now weighs over 300 pounds and none of her efforts to lose weight have worked.  No matter what she does, there’s a little voice inside her – one she calls “Skinny” – that tells her that she’ll fail because she’s not good enough.  Things start to change when she decides to undergo gastric bypass surgery, and Ever has to figure out how to navigate life in her new body.

I think Skinny, by Donna Cooner, is a wonderful book!  It explores issues like body image and friendship through the wonderful character of Ever Davies.   It’s really a coming of age story of sorts and I found myself captivated by Ever from the very start.  Ever is used to being taunted but also has loyal friends who believe in her.  The nagging voice of “Skinny”  is stronger than all the other voices she hears, though.

After her surgery, some people treat Ever differently.

“People say I look different.”

“You do look different.”

“But I don’t feel any different,” I say, wrapping my arms around my books and leaning back against the locker.  “On the inside.”

Being accepted by some of the popular kids is new for Ever and she has to figure out just what’s important to her.  I loved following her on her journey, which wasn’t always smooth.

As much as I liked Ever, my favorite part of Skinny is the message it contains.  I think most teens have a little voice, like “Skinny,” inside of them and I hope reading this book will help them learn to ignore it.  I also hope it will help them see that it’s what’s inside a person that counts.   There’s a lot to discuss in this book, so it would be great for the classroom or a book club.

For more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week, leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

Review copy provided by Scholastic. I am an Indiebound Affiliate.
    January 5, 2013 5:38 am

Your review sold me on this one. Sounds wonderful and I love the messages.

2. January 5, 2013 6:14 am

I think a lot of young girls hear that loud voice saying “skinny.” Shakes their world up. I always think of Karen Carpenter. She had such a huge talent.

3. January 5, 2013 6:40 am

Great message. I hope it’s a hit with the target audience.

4. January 5, 2013 8:16 am

I guess the cover is her skinny inside then

5. January 5, 2013 9:00 am

This would be a great book to read with my daughter.

6. January 5, 2013 11:52 am

I’m bothered by the cover image though. That doesn’t look like a girl who has a “Skinny” voice inside her head. Otherwise, I think it sounds like a great book.

• January 5, 2013 12:00 pm

Yeah, I’m not sure if the girl on the cover is supposed to be “Skinny” or Ever after her surgery, although she didn’t lose THAT much weight before the book ended. I do agree they could have done a better job with the cover.

7. sandynawrot permalink
    January 5, 2013 12:46 pm

It seems like 80% of the time, they don’t get the cover right, not only with YA books but often with women’s fiction. You would never see someone larger than a size 4 on the cover of any book. Still, I like the message here. Having an almost 15 year old daughter, I can say that these girls have huge issues with weight and self-image.

January 5, 2013 4:10 pm

It does sound wonderful…and needed!

9. January 5, 2013 8:22 pm

Sounds like this book has a great message for teens. Thanks for spreading the word about Skinny!

10. January 8, 2013 6:42 pm

Another blogging friend loved this one and so now I MUST get a copy of it!! 🙂

11. January 9, 2013 9:03 pm

A important topic for all teens, especially girls.

12. boardinginmyforties permalink
    February 1, 2013 7:56 pm

Sounds like a main character that a lot of young girls and women can relate to.