At the movies: Lincoln

December 4, 2012

Lincoln

I’m sure most people have heard about the movie Lincoln, and Daniel Day-Lewis’s superb acting since they’re both getting a lot of buzz and Oscar attention.  Lincoln seems to be THE President right now and I’ve heard a lot of rave reviews about this movie that focuses on the last few months of his life and his work in getting the thirteenth amendment passed.  In my opinion, the movie is good, but not great – the pacing is slow and the audience in the packed theater was restless so I don’t think I’m alone in my assessment.  Here are some of my random thoughts about the movie.

• Day-Lewis’s performance is outstanding.  He is likely to get an Oscar for this one.
  • Sally Field looked too old to be playing Mary Todd Lincoln.  Mary was younger than her husband yet Field looked older than Day-Lewis.
  • The movie was very dark.  I realize they were trying to be authentic with the lighting, etc in the movie, but it seemed that nothing of importance happened during the day.
  • Politics haven’t changed much in the 150 years since Lincoln was President.
  • The movie was longer than it needed to be.
  • I go to the movies fairly often and I’ve never seen such a restless audience.  People were up and down throughout the movie.
  • If the movie is as accurate as I think it is, between grooming and dress, people weren’t all that attractive during Lincoln’s time.

This definitely wasn’t my favorite movie but I do think it’s worth seeing.  (By the way, Vance disagrees with me – he thought the pacing was just right in this movie.)  History buffs are sure to love this one.

1. December 4, 2012 6:00 am

I like the idea that they didn’t make everyone Hollywood-beautiful! I have been hearing a lot about this one as the must-see movie this season, but it’s probably not my cup of tea either. HOWEVER…I will see anything that Daniel Day-Lewis is in, so it’s already settled!

2. December 4, 2012 6:46 am

Hmmmm, we want to see this, but honest I hate when most of the movie is in darkness. Maybe our next one will be Life of Pi in 3D instead:)

3. December 4, 2012 6:58 am

I’m looking forward to seeing this at some point soon. I think you’re right about the fashions of the day!

4. Beth F permalink
    December 4, 2012 7:02 am

Love your bulleted list of comments. I was wondering about Sally Fields as Mary (though I love her as an actress). Mr. BFR wants to see this in the theater but I’m more inclined to wait until we can see it at home.

5. December 4, 2012 7:34 am

I love your comments as well! especially about the “looks” of people back then – LOL!

December 4, 2012 8:15 am

As I mentioned on Sandy’s blog yesterday, I really want to see this one in the theater.

7. December 4, 2012 8:46 am

I keep hearing variations on this from people–it’s a good movie, but kind of boring. It makes me think this would be fine as a rental, even though the DVD is often even darker than the movie in a theater.

8. talesofwhimsy permalink
    December 4, 2012 9:26 am

That is some really cool observations. DDL is amazing so I’m not surprised.

9. December 4, 2012 9:43 am

Lincoln is one of my favorite presidents, and I love Daniel Day Lewis, so I’m sure to enjoy this one. But with the little one in the house, I rarely get to see movies in the theater these days.

10. zibilee permalink
    December 4, 2012 10:05 am

I am seeing this one with a very good friend on Thursday or Friday, and I can’t wait! I have heard such good things, and since I am a history buff (of the fictional kind 🙂 ) I will be anticipating my day with Daniel Day Lewis!!

11. December 4, 2012 10:06 am

I love your comments. Thanks for your review.

12. December 4, 2012 10:28 am

Great review! I hadn’t heard of this movie.

13. December 4, 2012 11:57 am

Very astute observations. I’ve read a lot of rave reviews for Lincoln but I think I’d feel about the same as you about the movie.

14. sandynawrot permalink
    December 4, 2012 12:11 pm

Weird, because you could have heard a pin drop in our theater. Like nobody was moving, they just sat rapt over it all. Maybe your group drank too much soda! Haha! And I felt that while Field did a great job, the casting felt a little weird. But she was all wacked out. I’ve seen pictures of her and she didn’t look so good.

15. December 4, 2012 12:26 pm

Excellent review, Kathy! I did see this movie, and I thought it was very well done. Daniel Day Lewis is a superb actor and became Lincoln.

I thought the movie would be a biography of Lincoln. I was surprised that the movie did not have a subtitle. It focuses on the 13th Amendment, so perhaps the movie should have been called “Lincoln’s Legacy”, or something to that effect.

16. Beth Hoffman permalink
    December 4, 2012 12:43 pm

Fabulous review, Kathy! I’d like to see this one, but I think I might wait for the DVD.

17. December 4, 2012 12:53 pm

This is a DVD viewing for sure — I had a friend echo your thoughts on pacing as well, and I’d rather have the pause option should I need a break! 😉

18. December 4, 2012 1:40 pm

Great post Kathy. I want to see this one, it sounds best to wait for the DVD though. I do like Daniel Day-Lewis, he is fabulous.

19. December 4, 2012 4:59 pm

I think I would enjoy watching a movie where not everyone is stunningly attractive.

20. December 4, 2012 5:52 pm

I am looking forward to seeing it…I do love DDL.

21. December 4, 2012 6:58 pm

I like how you did your review with bullet points. I’ll have to try that. It was easy to read. I think I enjoyed this movie more than you did. That was an interesting comment about the audience’s reaction during the movie. Our audience was different – very quiet with lots of applause at the end. Interresting the two reactions.

December 4, 2012 9:34 pm

Boy oh boy…the restless audience would get to me! Best seen at home!

23. swright9 permalink
    December 4, 2012 11:46 pm

An honest review. I like your random thoughts on it. As a history fan, I liked it but I think my hubby thought there were flat parts ….

24. December 5, 2012 2:47 pm

While I do enjoy historical dramas this sounds like a good one for me to rent… If I get restless or hungry I can get up without disturbing the audience. And if the pacing is too slow, my husband will fall asleep… better to do that at home too! (And I like your format with the random thoughts btw.)

25. December 5, 2012 2:57 pm

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this one. I thought Sally Field seemed a bit old for the part. I think I’ll wait to rent this one because I really have a tough time with long movies. That way, I can pause and go back to it later. 😉

26. December 5, 2012 4:27 pm

I had a different experience, to a certain extent. I loved the film and immediately proclaimed it as one of my favorites! I went to a matinee showing so there weren’t many people in the theater and I don’t really know if anyone got up. However, I completely concur that the selection of Sally Field was a profound disappointment. She really did not look the part and especially since she was younger than Lincoln, the casting seemed a poor choice overall. You made me giggle with “nothing of importance happened during the day.” It did seem dark during those evening scenes!

Daniel Day-Lewis was incredible, but I am especially pulling for Tommy Lee Jones to receive an Oscar. His performance as Thaddeus Stevens was outstanding.

27. December 5, 2012 4:33 pm

I’ve been hearing more along the lines of what you said but then Sandy at You’ve Gotta Read This had a different experience.

28. December 5, 2012 6:38 pm

This is one that I will watch at home. I hate it when people are always moving around.

29. December 5, 2012 7:19 pm

What a great review…and it’s good to hear Vance’s opinion too!

30. December 5, 2012 8:13 pm

This movie was really dark! I think my pacing issue came with how quickly the ending came once the amendment passed. The balance seemed off with that part.

31. December 5, 2012 10:08 pm

We almost saw this last week, still looking forward to seeing it soon.

32. December 6, 2012 11:30 am

I heard that it was good, but incredibly slow. I don’t plan on seeing it in a theater.

33. December 6, 2012 5:32 pm

I’m glad to know how it is. I’ve wanted to see it, but I keep thinking I’ll wait for Redbox and I can watch it at my leisure!
    2 Kids and Tired Books

34. December 9, 2012 10:05 pm

I think he totally deserves the Oscar and I agree with everything you said, really.