November 14, 2012

I had to go back to my Word-a-Day Calendar for words this week.  I chose these words because they both have something to do with poetry.

1. amphigory – “The children delighted in the book’s amphigory and in the bright, colorful illustrations that accompanied the foolish rhymes.”

Amphigory is a noun that means a nonsense verse or composition.

_____________________________________________________

2. eclogue – “Modern critics tend to have little tolerance for the idealized world of the old eclogues, in which poverty is bathed in golden light.”

Eclogue is a noun that means a poem in which shepherds converse.   I’m amazed that there’s a word for a poem as specific as that.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. November 14, 2012 5:35 am

I love specific, obscure words like ecologue!

2. November 14, 2012 6:17 am

There was a whole class of poems in classical times called eclogues. On the surface they depicted poor but happy shepherds. Under the surface they were a plea for the simple life and sometimes implied political or philosophical criticism.

• November 14, 2012 11:47 am

Thanks so much for that added information, it had me intrigue enough to research the word a little more myself. All was looking good until the information site said that eclogues might also be known as bucolics … definitely not the most attractive of words to describe a pastoral characteristic!

3. November 14, 2012 7:09 am

Both are new to me. My children like making up amphigory of their own. 🙂

4. November 14, 2012 7:21 am

No wonder no-one’s heard of the word eclogue! How random! I doubt even shepherds know that word 🙂

5. November 14, 2012 8:27 am

You got me on both of these! Maybe I can whip them out in April for National Poetry Month!

6. Beth Hoffman permalink
    November 14, 2012 10:02 am

I had a vague memory of amphigory but you totally stumped me with eclogue. Great words, Kathy!

7. November 14, 2012 10:22 am

Love both of your finds, but amphigory is especially good — and one I had never imagined would exist either. Thank you for sharing!

8. November 14, 2012 11:08 am

Both are new to me. Of course, I don’t read much poetry.

9. thewrredhead permalink
    November 14, 2012 11:15 am

Amphigory = great word! I can think of a lot of ways to use it.

10. November 14, 2012 11:22 am

Those are toughies. Children do love amphigory in books. Such a fun word!

11. November 14, 2012 11:43 am

Hi Kathy,

What a couple of really interesting words and both new to me.

Mr.G always insists on making up plenty of amphigory in greetings cards, if he gets the chance, so this will be a great word to catch him out with!

I don’t know any shepherds, whether they converse in poetry or not, so eclogue is probably going to remain in the back of my memory somewhere, never to see the light of day again!

A great post this week and thanks once again for hosting,

Yvonne

12. November 14, 2012 11:46 am

Both words are quite new to me but I like them!

13. zibilee permalink
    November 14, 2012 12:12 pm

Wow, these are both pretty specific words, but I do really like them! Thanks for sharing them with us today!!

14. November 14, 2012 12:37 pm

I’m starting to think there’s more words I don’t know in the English language than ones I use.

15. November 14, 2012 12:48 pm

Never heard of these words, new to me today.

16. November 14, 2012 2:13 pm

Two new words for me but I like amphigory best. It makes me think of Dr. Seuss.

17. November 14, 2012 2:21 pm

These are excellent, hard-to-pronounce words!! Actually, I think I’m getting the hang of how to say amophigory. More importantly, it sounds like what it means–it is a “Dr. Seuss” word! 🙂

18. November 14, 2012 6:37 pm

I feel hopelessly uneducated when I read those two words!! 😀

19. November 15, 2012 1:39 am

these are totally new words for me and I love amophigory. I am going to go read myself a few eclogues now though…

November 15, 2012 7:36 am

I have never run across either of these words although I’m not entirely sure I’d remember. They are pretty obscure.